Can I carry to the bureau of motor vehicles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    I need to get a temporary plate soon and I can't remember if carrying at the license branch is disallowed by it being city property or something like that.

Yeah for needless complexity in law regarding important rights :rolleyes:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    There is nothing in IC about it, it is state property rather than city. The most they can do is ask you to leave, if you don't then your trespassing and can be charged.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I do no believe it is a law violation, but of all places I want more hassle it is the BMV. On the flip side that mught be a place I might need a gun since everyone at the BMV is always so happy. :) My advice would be to secure it in your vehicle, however I think you would just be told to leave. Also think about it, If you were to be trespassed from the BMV that would be a huge hassle for future transactions there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Ii don't know of any reason why you can't carry in the BMV.

I just bought another car so I was in one of the local offices in my area, I didn't notice any sign regarding no carry. Further, being that the office is in a strip mall, privately owned, its not city or state property, but is leased by the state. I'm not aware of any state law that forbids carry into state offices other than courts, and some other specified buildings.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have been OCing into the BMV for years. If it was illegal you think I would have my LTCH suspended by now and be thrown under the jail...

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Ii don't know of any reason why you can't carry in the BMV.

I just bought another car so I was in one of the local offices in my area, I didn't notice any sign regarding no carry. Further, being that the office is in a strip mall, privately owned, its not city or state property, but is leased by the state. I'm not aware of any state law that forbids carry into state offices other than courts, and some other specified buildings.

On a side note, I researched carry in county courts, and unless there is a court order against it, it is not covered under any state law. I called, and my county (Scott) could find no order against it.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Since October, I've visited both the Crown Point and Rensselaer BMV branches and specifically looked for "no guns" signage. I found none.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was in one of the fort wayne branches a few weeks ago and wondered the same thing. I looked all over and did not see it posted anywhere.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Just recently I had to go into the Greenfield Branch, there was no posting on the door. I was OCing and there was also a Greenfild LEO in the branch. I nooded at him as I walked by, he said nothing to me and none of the employees said anything to me.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Everyone, thanks for clearing up whether or not the law covered this. I didn't see any signs and was CC anyway so no problems.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Nothing posted in Indianapolis BMV offices.
    I think I'd just do my BMV business by mail if CC wasn't allowed. I've seen some scary people in there (and not just the employees!).

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I did last October in Anderson and even discussed the weapon with the teller as she also had her LTCH and wanted to know about my carry! She had no problem with it and even said it was fine!

God Bless America! :rockwoot:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I CCd into the Schererville one on my birthday last week to renew my DL. I didn't even think about it so I wasn't looking for a sign

Top Bottom