• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I was in downtown Indianapolis on Monday (2/6) around the W. New York Street/Military Park area. It was about 2:15 in the afternoon. I was walking toward my car in an outdoor, open parking lot (which happened to be relatively empty). As I reached my driver side door, a young (appeared to be early 20s) female called out hysterically from about 25 yards away, "HELP! I need to borrow your phone!"

I looked around to see if she could have been calling out to someone else in the vicinity. I didn't see anyone else and by the time she had finished calling out, I had unlocked and opened my driver side door.

As I began to enter my vehicle, she called out again: "Wait! Wait! Can I borrow your phone?" I stood beside my car, behind my open driver side door.

The young woman started speed walking/jogging toward me and as I waited to see what was going on, she ended up closing pretty fast and made it to within about 5 feet of me. It was then I put my right hand out and said, "Hold up. What's going on?"

Her: "Please . . . I need your phone."
    Me: "Why?"
    Her: "My boyfriend smashed my phone. I'm scared."
    Me: "Where is he?"
    Her: "Over there . . . [points off into the distance]"

I scanned the area quickly and didn't see anyone ANYWHERE.

At this point I have two thoughts in my mind: 1) This is a scam to steal my phone and maybe more. 2) This is a legitimate request and her angry boyfriend, who I must have missed, is going to become enraged as a result of my helping her out.

I told her: "Listen, if you're really scared about what your boyfriend might do next, you need to go into one of those buildings and ask to use the phone. I'll make sure you make it in safely."

She nodded, and ended up walking back in the direction she came from. She didn't appear to be making an effort to reach any of the nearby buildings.

Weird situation, huh? I think I handled it correctly but part of me felt guilty for assuming the worst (theft scam).

Sorry for the absurdly long account guys. Just thought I'd share the bizarre story.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    It is an outright shame that you didn't hand her your phone. You handled the situation correctly, it's just a shame that no one can trust anyone any more.

When I told one of my buddies about this he said the same thing. I'm usually "reasonably" trusting of strangers but I agree, it's a shame that the seemingly increasing amount of bad apples can ruin it for genuinely good people who are in need of help.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Sounds like a scam. I would have still called the police, for her, and on her.

Good point. I didn't think about calling the police until it was too late. It wasn't necessarily a frightening experience, just a very unusual one that caught me off guard at the moment it occurred. Thanks for your thoughts. :yesway:

Doty

At peace
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Sounds pretty crazy. I don't think cell phones are worth stealing though. She might of really been scared and needed help...or crazy

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    "Help! I need to borrow your phone!" is not what someone yells when they're in trouble and afraid for their life. They will yell "Help! Call the police!" I don't need to tell you that she was trying to scam you or worse. You already know it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "You boyfriend is threatening you? I'm Sorry! Let me call someone to help you. What was your name again?" {I dial 911 and relay the info to them}

Even if she takes off when I make the call, I can give them her description and let them follow up if it is worth it.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    Nothing against the OP, but, why don't people call the police about stuff like this. Because the police were not called, there will be a victom of a crime that could have been prevented had the police came and investigated her. She is/was up to no good. But we will never know, because the police were not called about something suspicious.

James

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Nothing against the OP, but, why don't people call the police about stuff like this. Because the police were not called, there will be a victom of a crime that could have been prevented had the police came and investigated her. She is/was up to no good. But we will never know, because the police were not called about something suspicious.

James

What crime was committed? Someone asked to borrow his phone. Cops have better things to do than to deal with calls like that and by the time they get out there, she'll be long gone.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I believe he was referring to the crime the young "lady" committed after she left the OP

But the OP has no information about future crimes. Tell me how the conversation with 911 goes.

Everyone here on INGO freaks out every time a soccer mom calls the police for the non-crime of carrying a gun. Now you're advocating the EXACT SAME THING, but because there's no gun involved, you're OK with it?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    As I began to enter my vehicle, she called out again: "Wait! Wait! Can I borrow your phone?" I stood beside my car, behind my open driver side door.

It's a common scam. When I worked downtown, I had something like this happen 2 or 3 times a week.

Regulus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    I agree with Scutter, I don't think yelling "Help! I need to borrow your phone" is a typical reaction of someone in danger. Sounds like you trusted your instincts and made a wise decision.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I don't need to tell you that she was trying to scam you or worse. You already know it.

Young Man you may have just survived your first rape attempt. Trust me I've had plenty thrown at me. 20 something young females run rampant looking for easy marks like yourself.;)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Also, if you want to help someone out and they really need help, you can dial 911 on speakerphone and let them talk while you hold the phone.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    This all like half way trusting someone. I would have got in the car and started it up at the very least. Calling the police in the safety of the vehicle, informed her that I did and leave. Usually I have a pretty good read on liars.

To the OP, you were pretty generous. Never know with people anymore.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    "Help! I need to borrow your phone!" is not what someone yells when they're in trouble and afraid for their life. They will yell "Help! Call the police!" I don't need to tell you that she was trying to scam you or worse. You already know it.

Excellent point.

"You boyfriend is threatening you? I'm Sorry! Let me call someone to help you. What was your name again?" {I dial 911 and relay the info to them}

Even if she takes off when I make the call, I can give them her description and let them follow up if it is worth it.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this but she got so close that I didn't want to mess around with digging in my pockets for my phone.

A few important facts I forgot to mention in my initial post:

I was checking my email on my phone as I was walking to my car (head down looking at the phone) when she first called out.

When she walked up to me: 1) I did not see a "smashed" phone anywhere. 2) Her hands were in the front pocket of her hooded sweatshirt.

It's a common scam. When I worked downtown, I had something like this happen 2 or 3 times a week.

I'm downtown a lot but this was a first for me. I've experienced the "I need a few bucks for gas" at the gas station before, though.

I agree with Scutter, I don't think yelling "Help! I need to borrow your phone" is a typical reaction of someone in danger. Sounds like you trusted your instincts and made a wise decision.

Thanks man.

Young Man you may have just survived your first rape attempt. Trust me I've had plenty thrown at me. 20 something young females run rampant looking for easy marks like yourself.;)

:D

"I don't have a phone."

Lol.

But, why does everyone think someone has a phone?

This is my fault for not mentioning this initially, but as I explained a few lines above, she "made" me because I was walking to my car with my phone out (as I was checking my email).

We ran a scenario similar to this in a less-lethal class once. It was recommended that WE make the 911 call, while keeping our phone up and our eyes on the person approaching.

Sounds like she was definitely scamming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWHm7tKtIg4

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tions_course_lovemywoods_range_8_13_11_a.html

Thank you very much for posting/sharing that.

Also, if you want to help someone out and they really need help, you can dial 911 on speakerphone and let them talk while you hold the phone.

I still don't know why the 911 option did not occur to me at the time. :dunno:

Top Bottom