Can I ask the manufacturer for a refund?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'll make this short. I purchased a S&W .22A1 a couple months back. I took the gun to the range several times, using several types of .22lr ammunition. The gun would fail on the second round of every magazine used.

I sent the gun back to S&W about a month ago. It's now estimated that it will take another two months to get the "repaired" gun back. My question is, can I contact the manufacturer and tell them I no longer want the gun and get a refund from them? I know it's a long shot, but that's an investment from which I am gaining absolutely zero benefit and I no longer trust the product. What do you think?

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    What's the worst the could do? Say "no"?

I don't have a clue if they will, but it's def' worth the shot.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    You can ask them, but you payed a dealer for the gun, not S+W.
    At the most you might talk them into another gun, depending on what the problem is with your pistol.

I know it's a b***h, but I would wait until S+W gets your's repaired and see if it's good to go. Then if you still don't want to trust it, move on.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Tell them to keep the crappy 22 and send you a 41 to replace it.

2 months to fix your 22? That is not right.I have never waited for more than a week on any S&W factory return

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Like they said, it can't hurt to ask. But, you might want to use that question to preface your request they simply replace it. Two or three months to repair a simple .22 is way beyond what should be.

When you write the letter, put cc to Indiana Attroney General; that usually help to raise interest on the other end.

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    You might consider having your dealer contact them-if they will--They, the manufacturer, generally will only ship back to an FFL. If you have not already contacted the manufacturer about replacing the weapon instead of repairing it, a phone call to their customer service might help.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    This is why I sold my malfunctioning 22A at a STEEP loss. The estimated 12-16 weeks repair time when I inquired about sending it to them. I packed it up and promptly traded it into Galyan's on a 10/22.

I was sour on S&W for a very long time.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just got off the phone with S&W and they said the gun was shipped back on 10/1 and will arrive at the dealer tomorrow. If that proves to be true, I will test it out on Wednesday to make sure it functions properly.

Thanks for all of your input.

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    once you buy a gun, sales are final, unless theres a manufacturers defect that can be repaired under warranty. you could just sell it, but you'll never get back what you put down for retail price.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Got the gun back today and went straight to MCF&G. Shot 80 rounds with ZERO failures! :rockwoot: Now, all I need is some after-market magazines. I can't see paying $32 for a magazine that will only be used at the range. I guess this may never be a FNS gun with only two magazines. :dunno:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Glad to hear the gun is back and working now. In my opinion, the measure of a gun manufacturer is not the total absence of problems, but how they address a problem when it comes up. I've had issues with a pair of Bersa 380s, but they stood behind them in both cases and with the second case, sent a new gun back. I need to send a Walther PPK/S back for warranty work and wonder how well they will do in getting the gun back to me. I've not heard good stuff from Walther service.

Top Bottom