• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    With my G22, I am consistently placing rounds to the left. I have to remember to compensate and I hate having to remember to move right prior to pulling the trigger.

I'm planning to shoot in the steel match tomorrow and would like to get this fixed. Is there an easy way to adjust the rear sight on a Glock at home or should I try to find a gun smith? Does anyone know if Bradis can do this?

BTW, the main reason I am asking is that I don't have a vise, so that's the issue. Has anyone used any alternative that I could possibly duplicate?

picture.php

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Just checking... Have you had someone else shoot it to make sure it is the sights? I would probably check that before I moved the rear sight.

I'm sure a gunsmith could move it. Some stores might have a sight pusher for a glock, I hear its a bit popular. It might be more beneficial if you call a store that has a range to check if they have a sight pusher so you can check it right away and have it re-adjusted if its still not where you want it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just checking... Have you had someone else shoot it to make sure it is the sights? I would probably check that before I moved the rear sight.

I'm sure a gunsmith could move it. Some stores might have a sight pusher for a glock, I hear its a bit popular. It might be more beneficial if you call a store that has a range to check if they have a sight pusher so you can check it right away and have it re-adjusted if its still not where you want it.

Others have shot it and found it to be fine for them, but maybe my eyes are crooked or something. I have found this to be true will all my handguns accept for the Sig Pro I owned. Maybe it was dropped and the sight moved into a position that suited me or something. :dunno:

Hopefully this link will be helpful for you. I have not adjusted a rear sight on a Glock so you will have to gauge if you feel comfortable with this procedure.

How to Adjust a Glock Rear Sight | eHow.com

That's the first place I went, but I don't have a vise. I was wondering if I could use a plastic rod and a small hammer, but didn't want to experiment without hearing about prior success.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've always used a padded surface to lay the gun on and tapped the sight with a brass drift punch and a small hammer. I find that it's best to do this at the range so that you can get it right the first time.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Others have shot it and found it to be fine for them, but maybe my eyes are crooked or something. I have found this to be true will all my handguns accept for the Sig Pro I owned.

It's probably your technique then. :twocents:

Many years ago I used to shoot everything to the left. Dry fire. Ball and dummy drills with someone watching/video taping. Practice. You'll be cured before you know it.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your rear sight is plastic so be careful and take your time. Wouldn't take much to booger it up. I have found it doesn't take as much to move them as some other guns. The angle of the rear sight does make it a little more difficult to get a rod square on. I just take the slide off and lay it flush on the table. Remember, tap it the direction you want the bullet to go.

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    I find that if I have too much finger on my glocks I will shoot left. Have you tried getting less finger on the trigger? I have to make sure I get the trigger on the first "pad" of my trigger finger to shoot straight. I have big hands and was wrapping my finger around the trigger too much, pulling it just enough to do just what you're experiencing.

Just my experience with glocks.

J

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks everybody. I will take another look at my technique before changing anything. I definitely use the tip of my finger and squeeze without pulling the trigger; exhaling while not anticipating the shot, etc. However, I just may be missing something. If I find it's not me, I will get the ice pick and mallet to move the sight to the left. :laugh:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This is actually a very common question, and the impetus for MDFI's latest class offering "You Suck, It's Not the Gun".

In some cases the sights are indeed misaligned and they need to be corrected. However, if you've had other folks shoot it accurately, then the problem is probably in the way you're applying the fundamentals.

Ever had any professional instruction, Que?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    This is actually a very common question, and the impetus for MDFI's latest class offering "You Suck, It's Not the Gun".

In some cases the sights are indeed misaligned and they need to be corrected. However, if you've had other folks shoot it accurately, then the problem is probably in the way you're applying the fundamentals.

Ever had any professional instruction, Que?

No, never any handgun training.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No, never any handgun training.

Excellent!

Having a qualified instructor watch and diagnose your shooting technique is a very valuable tool. They can usually spot bad habits that you were unaware of, and then work with you to find a solution.

Take a look in the Tactics & Training section for upcoming courses. For local options, I'd recommend Sheriff Campbell or the guys at ACT. :ingo:

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Thanks everybody. I will take another look at my technique before changing anything. I definitely use the tip of my finger and squeeze without pulling the trigger; exhaling while not anticipating the shot, etc. However, I just may be missing something. If I find it's not me, I will get the ice pick and mallet to move the sight to the left. :laugh:

Just make sure you move the sight to the RIGHT. ;) You move the rear sight in the direction you need to correct your aim. If you want to meet out at MCFG on Monday, I can fire a few rounds through it and see if it's the same for me. I'm not the best shot in the world(just ask Esrice and Indy_Guy77) but when I do what I'm suppose to do, I can sometimes hit what I'm aiming at. :ar15:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've had 1 Glock that needed the sights adjusted. They were visibly all the way to the left in the dovetail. Problem was, the tapping back and forth method always seemed to go too far in either direction.

If you have that problem and want to tweak things just a little, here's a tool that will help.

Maryland Gun Works Rear Sight Tool Glock - MidwayUSA

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Predictions are great, but would you care to expound a bit? is this something that you experienced or seen while training people?[/quote

You are going to be wonderful in the Court Room! I will be retiring in a couple of years I might spend some time in the gallery just for grins! :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Predictions are great, but would you care to expound a bit? is this something that you experienced or seen while training people?[/quote

You are going to be wonderful in the Court Room! I will be retiring in a couple of years I might spend some time in the gallery just for grins! :D

It wasn't my intent to be confrontational in any way. I just wanted to know if he experienced the same thing and how he made or suggested a correction.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I predict that moving your sight will not change anything.

That doesn't make sense to me. :scratch:

Even if he is causing the shots to go left due to technique, as long as he is fairly consistent, adjusting the point of aim (whether by consciously aiming right or via sight adjustment) will move the point of impact.

If a change of technique later fixed the problem, sights would need adjusted back or he'd be hitting to the right - by the same amount he had adjusted the point of aim.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom