Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Before I finish that statement, I wish to clarify my intent here. I am NOT trying to start up an argument, although it almost certainly will.

I would seriously like to know. I have seen torture tests documented, I've seen range tests, I recently watched a video of a man purporting to hit a target at 230 yards, with a Glock.

Everyone RAVES about them. "They are tanks", "Best gun ever built", "Can't stop them"... and so on, and so on...

I have zero experience with Glocks.

I have NO vested interest in this argument, I would just like an answer to my question.

"Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good, why do so many people have them up for sale"?

I'd really like to know:dunno:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Yeah, I think that there are just so freaking many of them out there that you see many for sale. They are cheaper for the most part and many use them as a first gun and want to try something else. :)

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    My Glock was the first autoloader I bought that wasn't a .22LR. Not knowing anything else, I decided to sell the Glock and try other guns. I've almost regretted that decision to this day. The only reason I say almost is that I had a Glock 22 fullsize and couldn't comfortably carry it.

Someday I'll have another, it really is a great gun. Very simple, very utilitarian, very durable, and a very good shooter pretty much sums it up.

Yes there's other manufacturers out there that do the same thing. But due to the sheer volume of Glock sales, the toys and parts are readily available and typically cheaper. Also because of the volume sales, the guns are cheap. For the price, you can't touch it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    They are reasonably priced, work when you pull the trigger and are as accurate a production pistol as I’ve ever seen. What more can you ask? After seeing my first one it took me years to actually buy one and I’ve never regretted it. Simply the best “bang for the buck” IMHO. Sorry for the pun :dunno:

Sport69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Portage, IN
    It's hard to explain, I work for two departments and carry Glock for both. One department it is issued to me, the other its my preference. The only thing I change is the sights, I have never liked the plastic sight! I have owned almost every Glock available accept for the GAP models, you can say it's probably an addiction.

The accuracy is excellent and the availability of accessories are outstanding!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    "Can anyone tell me why, if Glocks are so good, why do so many people have them up for sale"?

The ones that are selling them have finally had the chance to shoot an XDm and know they have been shooting an inferior weapon with the Glock and decided to upgrade to the Springfield.

:D There, I did it. :popcorn:

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Probably because there are so many of them.

With so many of them out there, you're bound to see more for sale.

There are a lot of them out there. That's for sure.

Another possibility is that someone may buy their first Glock and decide, "Yes, that's the one I want. Perfect for me, etc." But, after a while, they decide they would rather carry something a bit different. Still a Glock, but perhaps a different caliber or a larger or smaller size frame.

This includes me. My first Glock was/is a Glock 17. Full size frame. But, after owning it for two years now, I want to get a new one for carry. Perhaps a Compact or Sub-Compact version. I just don't know.

And, they are EVERYWHERE!

Personally, I like them for the ease of use, easy to clean, disassemble, durability, and the safe trigger mechanism.. I have a couple thousand rounds through mine and I haven't detail stripped it yet. Oh well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

• There are LOTS of Glocks in circulation here in the US, so it makes sense that you see them on forums, in pictures, in magazine articles, and. . . . . . classifieds.
    • Glocks are a standard, almost like currency. If I find a Glock for a good price, I might buy it, even if I don't need it, because I know I can hold onto it and sell it later to fund another project.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    "Can anyone tell me why, if ___?___ are so good, why do so many people have them up for sale"?

Actually you can fill in the blank with most of the major manufacturers. Sig, Ruger, 1911 (whatever the brand), Taurus. Even in long guns you see savage, Winchester, Rem, and so on, all the time for sale. I think that the gun market is constant buy and sell. I had a very hard time selling or trading Firearms at first... Actually I still do.:n00b: I can't part with them very easily.

Glock being such a big name and having several models and generations, its easy to see why they are constantly in the classified adds so much. I assume once the XD is out as long as Glock you will see the same thing with the updated models and flooding. Of course nobody really buys those things so it might take a lot longer. There I said it too. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There's a billion of them out there, for one thing. They are like fleas :D

The other reason is: there's a billion of them out there, everybody has one. Some folks don't like showing up at a BBQ and carrying the same thing as everyone else, so they want to find something a little different.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The ones that are selling them have finally had the chance to shoot an XDm and know they have been shooting an inferior weapon with the Glock and decided to upgrade to the Springfield.
    :D There, I did it. :popcorn:

:): Quoted just for doing it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think I've ever seen a Glock abused to the point that it was unusable. (there's that picture of the 123A battery shorting out on another thread - but that was more freakish that could happen to any poly with light).

So most people that own fine arms are used to taking very good care of them.

Glocks still need the barrel cleaned, oiled, etc. But i don't know when the barrel has been deemed "shot out". Parts are pretty much accessible for most models, so there's that.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Here are my 3 reasons to own a Glock.

1. They are reliable. You can say what you want, but the original G17 would shoot and shoot and shoot with almost any ammo. It was the legendary reliability that caused the market to seek out Glocks. Sure they have had some troubles since then. Like the unsupported chamber in the 22 and 23 that everyone bashes. But the design has been proven to be very reliable overall.

2. They are durable. Glock came out with the tennifer (sp?) finish that is simply amazing. I think all the torture tests are dumb, but that finish lasts forever and you very seldom (if ever) see a rusty Glock.

3. They are ubiquitous. You can get parts for a Glock at almost any gun shop. Different trigger setups, magazines, holsters, everything. I actually do like the XD that I shot once better than my Glock, but, you can do modifications with a GLock that you just cannot with an XD. The parts are just not available for the XD.

That being said, I carry a 1911 because of the safeties. I do not like the idea of carrying a gun that will go off with the pull of a trigger and nothing else. I love my little compact 1911 for carying. However, by my bed, in a safe is a Glock 22 (cond 3) with night sights for the bumps in the night.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Glocks rock period-- end of story. Why else do others (like Springfield) copy them.

:rolleyes:I went to the springfield site. I couldn't find a glock copy. Only 1911's, M1a'a and XD's. When is the glock copy coming out.

Anyway, to the OP. For sale doesn't necessary mean dissatisfaction. It may just mean I want a new one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom