Can an off duty LEO carry a firearm on school property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I must have misread when you quoted me and added this comment: That sure looks like an accusation to me, especially since the quoted comment said nothing about taking anyone's RTC away, it was about repealing laws that did so.

My apologies Bill, I did not express myself clearly in that part. I was referring back to the part of your argument where you said that you believed that removing the LEO exemption was a valid argument b/c it would force/incentivize them to help us:

Congress at the time? Yeah, you're probably right, it wasn't going to happen, but without the backing of LE, it certainly won't, and when LE has their right protected (reinforcing the class mentality) they have no incentive to support as they said they would.

My point in quoting the part that you reference, specifically:

It's about getting the bad laws, "You're not a police officer so you can't be trusted to defend your own life here or there" repealed.
    was to highlight how absurd I thought it was that lobbying for LEOSA's repeal, as was proposed in your "incentive" quote, would somehow get LEO's on our side. I mean, cmon; do you really think the cops on going to jump on board with arming the folks who have just successfully disarmed the cops?

It is absurd to think that adopting the Brady position, of opposing LEO carry, is going to somehow get law enforcement on our side.
    Thanks for clarifying that, Joe, and for your apology. I see we both misunderstood each other because of different quotes.

Go back, however, and read what I said in re: the incentive quote. You'll see I was referencing appropriate action at the time of LEOSA's debat. Not repealing, but rather not passing it in the first place. Again, I don't favor disarming anyone who isn't posing an immediate threat... a "clear and present danger", to turn the phrase. The law at the time disarmed even LEOs if they left their state of employment, IIRC.
    Now I know you believe that the cops stabbed us in the back on LEOSA, but as Liberty Sanders and Kirk point out, that isn't exactly the case.

Of course the politicians masquerading as cops are going to do what they can to preserve status quo, but I'm yet to see where any of them ever promised to support expanding carry rights.

Before you keep going on about that, the lawyer in me would really like to see a specific promise that was made and broken. Saying you think you remember one, is not what I am looking for here.
    It has been several years since I saw the discussion, and I don't recall where I saw it. I will look, however (esp. now that I'm on my computer rather than my phone!) I also would like to have the reference.I do note that this is the reason why I stated at the outset that I didn't have a reference for it; I wanted it given the proper amount of suspicion, rather than accepted as fact merely because I claimed it.
    Bottom line, much of the rank and file of law enforcement is on our side; I recently had a conversation with a local officer who told me the day he is ordered to confiscate guns is the day he starts disobeying orders. Look at Liberty Sanders and all the work he has done. Look at Ken Apsley, Brad Landwherlen (sp) and other Hoosier LEO's work with the NRA.

Look what Brad Cooper did when he published this memorandum:

http://www.dailyjournal.net/ftp/Editorial/reckley-011112.pdf

Brad Cooper said:
    From the totality of the circumstances, both times Mr. Reckley fired his weapon, he had the reasonable belief that force was
    necessary to prevent death, serious bodily injury or the commission of a forcible felony against himself or his wife. Indiana’s
    self-defense statute is clear and unequivocal in its directive that “no person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind
    whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.”

Why some think attacking them will get them on our side is beyond me; especially when many of them already are.

Best,

Joe

Absolutely no question that the majority of rank-and-file officers are on our side, despite the few who show elitism in their posts here. I don't in any way support attacking those officers. I merely think that we would have gotten a better law had the one that passed not done so when it did.

Off to search for the broken promise evidence now.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Now I know you believe that the cops stabbed us in the back on LEOSA, but as Liberty Sanders and Kirk point out, that isn't exactly the case.

Of course the politicians masquerading as cops are going to do what they can to preserve status quo, but I'm yet to see where any of them ever promised to support expanding carry rights.

Before you keep going on about that, the lawyer in me would really like to see a specific promise that was made and broken. Saying you think you remember one, is not what I am looking for here....

First link I found isn't very authoritative but it is historical. It's a link from FreeRepublic.com and mentions a conversation one of the freepers had with someone in Vegas from LEAA, which is the group Liberty Sanders said he helped found. It's post #12 at that link, from "humblegunner".

I found a couple of others, but they're of similar "authoritative" value (Read: none)

I'll keep looking, but at this point, I can't in good conscience continue with that part of the argument.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom