Can an IL resident carry a handgun in IN if they have a FL or UT permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spirit390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I know for a fact that the sheriff for Knox county will not under any circumstances accept the paperwork for a non-resident LTCH. I talked to the department of the state police that handles the LTCH and they say he has to yet when I went there he refused to let his dispatches/front desk people accept the paperwork and refused to have a meeting with me to discuss it. But he did walk out and tell me "I don't care what the state police say this is my county". He also said what are you worried about you already have a Utah permit that we honor. So me not wanting to tug on supermans cape or **** into the wind i just left it at that.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Arizona:

General Eligibility

Applicants must:
    • be a resident of this state or a United States citizen;
    • be twenty-one years of age or older;
    • not be under indictment for a felony offense;
    • not be convicted of a felony offense, unless the conviction has been expunged, set aside, vacated or pardoned, or the individuals right to possess firearms has be restored AND the individual must not be a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.
    • not suffer from mental illness and been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;
    • not be unlawfully present in the United States;
    • complete a firearms safety training program pursuant to ARS §13-3112.N.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Pennsylvania:

It is simple to get a PA Non-Resident Permit/License. Starting 3/31/11 PA will no longer issue by mail. You have to make a trip to PA to apply. If they do not issue it to you in your short visit they will mail you the permit/license when it is approved.
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    Completed and Signed Application must be accompanied by the following:

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]A photo copy of a license to carry a firearm (concealed carry permit) from your home state if that

state has a concealed carry law. If from IL you should bring your FOID Card.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]A photo copy of your Driver's License.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Names, Addresses and Phone #’s of 2 references.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]$20.00 to $24.00 fee for five year license and out of state processing.
    Note:
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]You have to have a permit from your home state if your home state issue permits. Unless you are from Illinois, DC or Vermont you have to have a permit from your home state. If your state is too restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you can not obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License. Some Sheriff’s will not issue to non residents and/or have other stipulations to issue to non-residents. Check with the Sheriff’s Dept before you appear to apply.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    New Hampshire:

Links

State CCW Site

CCW Application

Non-Resident CCW Application

State FAQ Site

State Statutes

State Admin Rules

State Reciprocity Info

State Attorney General

State CCW Laws

Secretary of State

Last Updated: 11/23/12

The New Hampshire State Police issue Non-Resident permits. Contact them at:

Department of Safety Division of State Police Permits and Licensing Unit 33 Hazen Drive Concord, NH 03305

They will send you the proper paperwork or you can download and print off an application and fill it out and mail it in. Cost is $100 and the Permit/License is valid for 4 years. You must have a non restricted permit from another state before New Hampshire will issue you a Non-Resident Permit/License. The process is simple and straight forward.

Vermont Residents
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman] are the only people who can get a NH permit without another permit to carry from any state. They must supply a letter from their Local Sheriff or Police Dept stating they are of good character. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][/FONT][/FONT]

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    IC 35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    Remember... If that license is a concealed carry license, then you must carry concealed in Indiana, even though open carry is legal under an Indiana license.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I know for a fact that the sheriff for Knox county will not under any circumstances accept the paperwork for a non-resident LTCH. I talked to the department of the state police that handles the LTCH and they say he has to yet when I went there he refused to let his dispatches/front desk people accept the paperwork and refused to have a meeting with me to discuss it. But he did walk out and tell me "I don't care what the state police say this is my county". He also said what are you worried about you already have a Utah permit that we honor. So me not wanting to tug on supermans cape or **** into the wind i just left it at that.
    This sheriff continues to get away with this because nobody has stood up called him on it, in court with a nice hefty price tag attached to the laswsuit against the county and the sheriff.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    :n00b:

A few are partially incorrect here. You can ALSO work full time in Indiana and be a resident of Illinois and get a LTCH without owning a business.

I have one, I am a resident of IL and I work full time in Indiana.

I work for a Federal Agency so I sure DO NOT own it.

Add Florida and get a few more states added to that one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The IC code is extremely clear:

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The IC code is extremely clear:

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

Yes it is. So what? Anyone can OC with any permit, period. There is no difference in the IC between OC and CC it is only people who read too many gun magazine articles about CCWs who think that way.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Yes, there was a billion page long discussion we had on the subject.
    The Indiana State Police FAQ state that if you have a CCWP then you have to CC only in IN, following your states requirements. However, TF mentioned the ISP FAQ is not correct, and an LEO in the thread ( Denny ) was also saying it's OK to carry however you wish. The wordage in the IC is confusing.
    Do what you want, at your own risk, but as far as everyone is concerned, nobody has ever been prosecuted for carrying without a license for OCing with a CCWP. So even thought I didn't agree with TF at first, I think I do now after stewing for awhile on that thread.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    INGO can't agree and IN LEO's can't agree.

But I think we can agree on the fact that there will be some LEOs that will harass ANYONE open carrying.

FWIW, I'll back TF's and ATM's interpretation - any other is somewhat nonsensical.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes it is. So what? Anyone can OC with any permit, period. There is no difference in the IC between OC and CC it is only people who read too many gun magazine articles about CCWs who think that way.

The OP asked can an IL resident carry on an out of state permit. I said yes, its very clear that they can. Who's talking about OC vs CC?

Top Bottom