• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As a side note, I have seen and used some Mossberg 590's in some off the worst environments and abused to the point most would discard them as nonfunctional. I have never seen or had a mag spring fail...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    As a side note, I have seen and used some Mossberg 590's in some off the worst environments and abused to the point most would discard them as nonfunctional. I have never seen or had a mag spring fail...
    This one time in band camp.......and I am not going to name names or post pictures. I won't even say it was a shotgun but this gun, new out of the box had a problem. Turns out the company had recently switched vendors on a spring and they were junk.

Springs of any kind wear out due to repetition, not constant compression and 99.9% of shooters of Mossbergs and Remingtons will never see enough shots to cause a spring to fail. Much more people are likely to see issues related to ammo swelling after sitting for long periods in a mag tube, under constant pressure from that spring. The plastic hulls swell from being pushed down on 24/7. (Funny thing, better springs can cause this to happen faster.)

Then when the fat ammo causes the action to jack up, the ammo does not extract and finally the gun double feeds...................then the spring gets changed. The true problem fixed because the swelled ammo is now out of the gun.

It is kind of like firing people in QC because Production made crap. The wrong guy got fired but you feel better anyway. You are just not any closer to knowing the true source of the problem.

Also, the cost of 8 rounds of fresh ammo once a year in the gun is about the same as the spring and you get to shoot the old ammo.

NOW there is a real shotgun spring related issue, but the beauty of the internet is we can dive deep into the minutia of any point made on any topic at any time. Anyone who watches Youtube videos of Mossberg owners and still buys one, well, what can I say.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Your old shotty is holding up fine btw. I find the bead sight perfect for HD. I will say that that after training in the rain, the 870 rusts much faster than the M-500.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Your old shotty is holding up fine btw. I find the bead sight perfect for HD. I will say that that after training in the rain, the 870 rusts much faster than the M-500.

I'm glad you're liking it! I'll check up on it again with you when I take you Ham class through AGS soon. The rust thing is something that's always driven me nutts with Remingtons & even Savage guns. As soon as they get a little moist here comes the rust. It really shouldn't be that way, but it is what it is. I've got a few rifles that I use a lot that I plan on duracoating just for this reason. Not because the finish looks bad, but because it will start rusting before my eyes when it's out in the rain for an extended period of time.

That 870 you bought had a sheltered life compared to what I've got in mind for this next one.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Mossberg owners lost me at "Crotch vise" I can't get past it. :laugh:

Like so many things shotgun, it is purely emotional, but Zen is a big part of shotgun shooting. Some might call it performance anxiety, I call it Zen, Karma or Fung Shui. I ruled out Mossbergs and Ithacas in 1977 and have never needed to look back. I only have 1 trigger finger.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have had both 870+500....loved the 500, it was light and well balanced. I believe it had an aluminum
    reciever, which made the barrel a tad heavy so that it swung very nicely. However, the magazine
    was limited by the take down knob , which made it impossible to add a mag extension. When I stopped hunting upland game I decided to get a house gun. The 870 mag is open full bore when when
    you remove the takedown knob so a 2-3 shot extension screws right back in it's place.(with a longer
    mag spring) This makes the 870 heavy but I don're plan to carry it very far....
    I don't know how long the 500 would last under heavy ,competitive use but it's a damn good field gun.
    For defense I'll stick to my 870.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have/have had many Mossberg 500s and Remington 870 express shotguns, and I consider one to be as good as the other. The Mossberg 500s do rattle some, but I have had 870 express that rattle also. I like the safety location on the Mossberg 500, and the cheap and plentiful used barrels.

Dave

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    The OP talked about wanting a HD weapon and I think the 590A1 is a great choice for that. I have one around for just that reason. Other posters mentioned the action being stiff; as I recall mine was for the first hundred or so rounds but seems just fine now. I've taken it to a few Friday Night Steel events and had a lot of fun with it. It's also surprisingly good at breaking clays.

Having said that, keep in mind that it is not intended to be a hunting or trap shooting gun. There is no threading for choke tubes, for example. You could have the barrel threaded, of course. AFAIK there are no replacement barrels with threading, only the standard barrels.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I stopped by Gander Mountain for an orange cap for my ground blind, not to buy a gun, but while I was there they did have one of those mossberg 20" mavericks. It's as simple and as plain jane as it gets, but it holds a lot of ammo. It's not what I'd be after but I gave some jiggles to see if I could make it rattle and it didn't. I doubt I'd ever buy another gun from Gander in my life, but at least I held another sampling.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Just go with the plain old 870.
    IMG_0512_zpsc46b26a6.jpg

:D

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Im a mossberg guy so heres what I know. The cheapest you can buy is a Maverick 88. These come in a 5+1 or 7+1 capacity. The 500 cruiser or persuader is the pistol grip versions. I used to think the persuader was the 7+1 model and the cruiser was the 5+1 model but I think its either or now. I believe one identifies whether it comes factory with a heat shield. The 590 could be considered a step up from the 500 with its 8+1 capacity. The 590A1 is pretty much a mil spec with a beefier trigger guard and heavier barrel.

If your looking for a home defense shotgun and want to do it the cheapest way possible the Maverick 88 is simply the way to go. You can find a great one for around 200 at most

lapoozyfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    spencerville
    you can usually tell the difference in the price but not all the time, mossbergs are loose and sloppy but still go bang when you pull the trigger, but if you dont plan to hunt with it but beat it around then I would say mossberg is the way to go.

Top Bottom