can a indiana guy legally buy guns at kentucky gun shows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I believe you can buy long guns from dealers because the show is considered an extension of their storefront. Handguns can be purchased but you will need to carry a copy of your transfer dealer's FFL because they will have to be shipped to your dealer for transfer.

No, it doesn't make sense.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    An IN resident can not buy an AR lower from a Ky FFL.
    I tried to buy one at the Knob Creek gun show last fall the seller told me that the BATF has made new rules about assault rifle receivers.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    An IN resident can not buy an AR lower from a Ky FFL.
    I tried to buy one at the Knob Creek gun show last fall the seller told me that the BATF has made new rules about assault rifle receivers.
    I believe this because an AR can be built to qualify for a pistol. The same new ruling also states you have to be 21 as well.

Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    Adjacent state rules for purchasing long gun in KY.

Since IN is adjacent to KY, IN residents can purchase a long gun. For handgun purchase you will need to use a FFL. Check out your local FFLs at home. You may find someone who is going to be at the Louisville Show. Then it will be fairly afordable for both paties since the FFL guy can bring it back for you.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Just my two-cents but don't let the thought of transfer
    with purchase deter you from going to the Louisville Gun Show.

You won't be disappointed with the show.

They have more than 2000-8' long tables loaded with firearms & other items for sale.
    Pretty impressive display, plenty of parking. My favorite show.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Q: What record-keeping procedures should be followed when two private individuals want to engage in a firearms transaction? When a transaction takes place between private (unlicensed) persons who reside in the same State, the Gun Control Act (GCA) does not require any record keeping. A private person may sell a firearm to another private individual in his or her State of residence and, similarly, a private individual may buy a firearm from another private person who resides in the same State. It is not necessary under Federal law for a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) to assist in the sale or transfer when the buyer and seller are “same-State” residents. Of course, the transferor/seller may not knowingly transfer a firearm to someone who falls within any of the categories of prohibited persons contained in the GCA. See 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(g) and (n). However, as stated above, there are no GCA-required records to be completed by either party to the transfer.
    There may be State or local laws or regulations that govern this type of transaction. Contact State Police units or the office of your State Attorney General for information on any such requirements.
    Please note that if a private person wants to obtain a firearm from a private person who resides in another State, the firearm will have to be shipped to an FFL in the buyer’s State. The FFL will be responsible for record keeping. See also Question B3.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since IN is adjacent to KY, IN residents can purchase a long gun. For handgun purchase you will need to use a FFL. Check out your local FFLs at home. You may find someone who is going to be at the Louisville Show. Then it will be fairly afordable for both paties since the FFL guy can bring it back for you.

This is an incorrect statement. The contiguous state rule only applies to purchases from FFL's. Private party firearms purchases, either long guns or handguns across state lines is a violation of federal law. As this question comes up a lot and there is a lot of misinformation floating around, IMHO there should be a sticky regarding the law on INGO in several places.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I will be set up there with lots of class III items. Look for the MikesMachineguns.com sign and stop by and say howdy. A buddy will be with me with lots of .223 for sale.

vandaliarndhse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    hendricks county
    several years ago i went to the big military collectors show at louisville. a dealer from pennsylvania wouldn't sell me a mosan-nagant rifle. i quess he was only selling to kentuckians and other ffl's.

Top Bottom