• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I love it when they pay at the pump then go inside to shop while their car sits at the pump.
    Well, when I'm at Wal-Mart, sometimes I remember in the middle of pumping gas that I need something from the store. So I figure I've already got a parking spot, might as well get the grocery shopping done and my hair cut. :):

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    It's caused by the same thing that makes people take their time starting when the light turns green. They have no clue that there are other people in the world besides themselves. I think it's that they have no sense of community. Someone with a sense of community knows that when the light turns green and there's a bunch of cars in line, the quicker they move, the more that get through. When pumping gas, and there's a line, they pump, then pay, then park and shop if needed.

The ones with no sense of community will be the ones that present a problem when the SHTF.
    Have you never been caught day dreaming at a stop light? When people lay on the horn as soon as the light turns green, I like to get out of the car and find out exactly what they need. This way they know I am really concerend about them, and it renforces a "sense of community".

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Gosh...

Waiting a second or two at a freshly-turned green light has saved my bacon (and just possibly my life and those of my passengers) numerous times.

That momentary delay is the proper, prudent, and safe way to drive.

As to the topic at hand: I refuse to be a pump-camper in a BUSY lot. But I'll admit to camping on occasion. I like to use Speedway due to their points system. I'll run my points card outside, fill up, then go inside for my soda, and pay everything all at once.

ONE TIME, I'd filled up our work vehicle (F-150 with an absolutely huge fuel tank) but since it was busy, I decided to pull up and park before going in to pay/get a drink.

By the time I'd gotten into line to pay, they were already beginning their drive-off paperwork.

And yes, margins on gasoline are very very very slim. If my folks can make 5 cents a gallon, that's a fan-freaking-tastic day.

-J-

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Have you never been caught day dreaming at a stop light? When people lay on the horn as soon as the light turns green, I like to get out of the car and find out exactly what they need. This way they know I am really concerend about them, and it renforces a "sense of community".
    It probably helps if you're open-carrying. Then they know you're a good guy and can lend any sort of assistance they might need.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    In my experience most drivers who do this don't realize that other people can get fuel before they have paid for theirs. Quite a number think that for some magic reason the pump locks up and won't do anything at all until we have their money. It's probably related to having an attention span like a cat on catnip - they see the "please pay cashier" message and don't realize that 15 seconds later the message goes away. Most of the rest are just plain walking towers of steaming, narcissistic fail who feel the need to take out the stresses of their day on people who they've probably never seen before.
    I did not know that a pump would reset before you paid. I usually leave my car at the pump while I get my pop and stuff, if the place isn't very busy. If the place is busy I pay at the pump and then re-park, if I want to go inside.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    It probably helps if you're open-carrying. Then they know you're a good guy and can lend any sort of assistance they might need.
    Yes, the open carry thing does help, as does walking my little doggie! (see my avatar) they might want to pet him.

Last edited:

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I always pay at the pump, I hate to have to go in and stand in line behind all the people buying cigarettes, lottery tickets and candy bars.

I won't stop at a station that doesn't have pay at the pump.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a guy at Wal Mart pay for his stuff in three different transactions so he could get the max cash back on each one, and it took him MINUTES to punch in his PIN and the amount to take out, and then he wrote on each receipt what appeared to be his memoirs, never ONCE looking at us and saying sorry, or "this might take about 20 minutes".

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I had a guy at Wal Mart pay for his stuff in three different transactions so he could get the max cash back on each one, and it took him MINUTES to punch in his PIN and the amount to take out, and then he wrote on each receipt what appeared to be his memoirs, never ONCE looking at us and saying sorry, or "this might take about 20 minutes".
    You were rude for staring. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One of the downsides of driving a diesel: some idiot is invariably parked at the only diesel pump. Had a group of bikes parked looking at maps the other day. I pulled up behind them, and waited, then honked. Got the :dunno: look. Finally got out, walked up, and pointed out they were blocking the only diesel pump in the station, and I'd appreciate it if they at least gave me some room.

Most folks are just oblivious. I get more burnt when you "help" them re-focus, and they get annoyed. If they weren't discourteous in the first place, I wouldn't be asking them to get moving!

Armed Eastsider

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    I always pay at the pump. I dont like going inside the gas station only to find the 1 clerk working, and having everybody in front of me buying 20 different lottery tickets. And theres always another clerk whos register is mysteriously closed, but is just standing behind the counter, hanging out.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I always pay at the pump. I dont like going inside the gas station only to find the 1 clerk working, and having everybody in front of me buying 20 different lottery tickets. And theres always another clerk whos register is mysteriously closed, but is just standing behind the counter, hanging out.
    He's with the CIA. Don't ask.

Top Bottom