• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What posesses people to pump their gas and camp out for several minutes when there are cars lined up waiting to get gas? I pump mine and then park if the station is busy. 30 minutes ago, some dude in an old blazer squeeled his tires in reverse and left the station. I think he was fed up waiting. 3 guys leaning up against a truck (long since done pumping) started laughing and making fun of the guy in the blazer. I wanted to say if they weren't camping out at the pump, the dude probably wouldn't have got pissed and left.

I think people pump their gas and go in to take a dump or go shopping. Everybody else be damned.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I love the folks who go and get lunch at whatever fastfood craphole is in the gas station while their vehicle sits in front of the pump.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    In my experience most drivers who do this don't realize that other people can get fuel before they have paid for theirs. Quite a number think that for some magic reason the pump locks up and won't do anything at all until we have their money. It's probably related to having an attention span like a cat on catnip - they see the "please pay cashier" message and don't realize that 15 seconds later the message goes away. Most of the rest are just plain walking towers of steaming, narcissistic fail who feel the need to take out the stresses of their day on people who they've probably never seen before.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It's caused by the same thing that makes people take their time starting when the light turns green. They have no clue that there are other people in the world besides themselves. I think it's that they have no sense of community. Someone with a sense of community knows that when the light turns green and there's a bunch of cars in line, the quicker they move, the more that get through. When pumping gas, and there's a line, they pump, then pay, then park and shop if needed.

The ones with no sense of community will be the ones that present a problem when the SHTF.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    It's caused by the same thing that makes people take their time starting when the light turns green. They have no clue that there are other people in the world besides themselves. I think it's that they have no sense of community. Someone with a sense of community knows that when the light turns green and there's a bunch of cars in line, the quicker they move, the more that get through. When pumping gas, and there's a line, they pump, then pay, then park and shop if needed.

The ones with no sense of community will be the ones that present a problem when the SHTF.

Yep. It is a symptom of an increase in rudeness in the world. People will stop and block a supermarket aisle when they could easily move to one side or drive 10 mph in a no passing zone while someone is behind them. Many people view the world as revolving around themselves.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My dad instilled in me the idea to be corteous to others. If I were blocking an aisle way or something, he'd grab me and yank me out of other peoples way. I do the same to my daughter. I can't stand people who act like they are the only people in the store and to hell with everyone else.

These people who camp out at the pump have no clue what they're doing. I'm not confrontational enough to bring it to their attention. I don't think it would help anyway. If they're that blind to those around them, they're too stupid to learn.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I love it when they pay at the pump then go inside to shop while their car sits at the pump.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    We have one of those small convenience gas stores in our small town. I was behind a gal that filled her car and went inside the store. I waited for a while and when the pump next to me was free, I backed up and pulled into that lane.

After filling my truck, I walked inside to pay. She was sitting at one of the small tables eating a pizza. What a....well maybe I should not say it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I always pre-pay.

I like my tank being completely full when I leave the gas station. I try to avoid the pre-pay gas stations.

It REALLY pisses me off if I can't hand them my debit card, go out to the tank, fill up, and get my total. The only time this has ever happened was in Indy...Granted, this place had bullet proof glass where the clerk was and I didn't have a choice, because I needed me some gas.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I like my tank being completely full when I leave the gas station. I try to avoid the pre-pay gas stations.

It REALLY pisses me off if I can't hand them my debit card, go out to the tank, fill up, and get my total. The only time this has ever happened was in Indy...Granted, this place had bullet proof glass where the clerk was and I didn't have a choice, because I needed me some gas.

I was not aware post-pay gas stations still existed.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    The same people that leave their headlights on at a drive in and dont realize it because their car is facing the opposite direction of the screen. I asked them nicely to turn them off as they were shining right in my face. They quickly got up to turn them off. There were other people who were complaining who probably wouldn't have been so nice about it. Why they call it common courtesy when its not so common any more is beyond me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was not aware post-pay gas stations still existed.

Crawfordsville has several. They always get my business, just for that reason.

There's only one GS in Newburgh that doesn't have post pay. It was my goto GS before they changed their policy...I haven't been there since.

Install all the hidden cameras that will catch the pump-and-go thieves you want, but the second I feel like you can't trust me to pump my gas and pay inside, you've lost my business.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Crawfordsville has several. They always get my business, just for that reason.

I used to prefer them years ago, but drive offs became more and more common given the gas price increases of the early 2000s, the plethora of highways nearby (for speedy getaway), and the local poverty rate, so there are none left within 50 miles of Whiting that I am aware of.

I just use my debit card for gas. Also, I've got an 11 gallon tank. The posted price per gallon times 10 gives me the price to very nearly fill my tank. If/when you lose your last post-pay station, you'll adapt.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    There's only one GS in Newburgh that doesn't have post pay. It was my goto GS before they changed their policy...I haven't been there since.

Install all the hidden cameras that will catch the pump-and-go thieves you want, but the second I feel like you can't trust me to pump my gas and pay inside, you've lost my business.

The problem is that margins on gasoline are so thin (frequently less than 5¢/gallon). Very few drive-offs per week can make selling gas a losing proposition at a station that isn't busy.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Gas should be free, Obama has a stash and he should pay for my gas.

Gotta remember purple!

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Since Indiana doesn't have a front license plate, unless a station chooses to rip up their parking lot and put cameras on posts in the middle of the lot behind the pumps, backing out of the pumps = free gas. The busy stations were getting hit for $4000+ monthly in driveoffs before prepay. For many stores auto-auth is a short road to bankruptcy.

Top Bottom