Campgrounds within 3 hours of Indy (and as far away from children as possible)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We're going to force ourselves to have some fun this summer and some of it will involve actually using the camper more than for the family reunion. That said are there any campgrounds within 150 miles of Indy that aren't overrun with (shudder) children? I don't have patience for them or the parents that allow them to run around like wild animals all the time. Let's get around the kids will be kids crap, or "don't be such an *******, you were a kid once too" etc, etc, etc. It's my hangup and I am handling it by finding a place not overrun with misbehaving little vermin. So if anyone is aware if such a Shangri la exists or if there are any campgrounds with segregated areas, I'm all ears.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Riverside Campgrounds in Shipshewana....no kids, lazy river flows through the south part of the property, Shipshewana Flea Market to attend and lots of good restaurants and touristy things to do....

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Clark State Forest. I've stayed there several times and don't recall ever seeing any kids. May be worth a shot for you, but it's right at the edge of your range, I think.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    When you figure out where and when, let me know.........I'll bring my kids. :):

Chain-of-Lakes I will second.
    Cool campgrounds, Pier fishing, Boat Fishing, [STRIKE]SkinnyDipping[/STRIKE] Swimming, Lots of BBQ/Picnic areas.
    Bringing the Camper is just cheating though.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Actually if you go in the early summer before most schools let out, Brown County State Park is a great place with plenty of trails, wineries, and restaurants close, and best of all and almost no children during the week. Beware of the weekends though, tons of thoughtless parents bringing there little vermin with them to ruin your good time. But if you must go during a weekend, open carry, most of the people who go there on weekends are IU students or were at some point, and generally they don't like guns and will stay away from the bad man with a gun, if you are lucky they will even tell there kids to stay away from you.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Try "seasonal camping" I have a 35' foot camper that has never moved. I bought the camper, pay an annual lot rent and have a vacation every weekend. It is the best money I ever spent! Kids are very limited.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :rolleyes:......
    Kid-hater,huh?.....:rolleyes:
    An' just think........if yer Ol'man had same mentality......an' pull'd out,or dump'd the cheez in'a nuther cavity.......ya would'n be type'n......

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Try "seasonal camping" I have a 35' foot camper that has never moved. I bought the camper, pay an annual lot rent and have a vacation every weekend. It is the best money I ever spent! Kids are very limited.

what he said

we are set up in one of the many seasonals in Cloverdale.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :rolleyes:......
    Kid-hater,huh?.....:rolleyes:
    An' just think........if yer Ol'man had same mentality......an' pull'd out,or dump'd the cheez in'a nuther cavity.......ya would'n be type'n......
    I don't think it has anything to do with "hating" kids. Speaking for myself (happily childless), I also prefer a quieter setting for camping. Heck, I don't really even want any other adults around!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't think it has anything to do with "hating" kids. Speaking for myself (happily childless), I also prefer a quieter setting for camping. Heck, I don't really even want any other adults around!

We have kids and grandkids but we seek out primitive settings with few other people around. My kids behaved in the campground....observed quite time and only ran amok in the woods.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Hickory ridge fire tower,kind of.Not the tower itself,but 2 miles past it on the left there are 4 parking spots,and primitive camping is permitted.If you make it to the bottom of the hill and cross the creek you went to far lol.There are no signs just a small gravel parking area.No facilities.We have camped there many times,and it is rare to see another human much less children.You can also link up to the trail system from the site.Sycamore trail runs 500 yards past the camping area.Just google Hickory Ridge Fire tower Inidana and hit maps for the location(it is east of Monroe lake),it is also one of the 16 "special places" listed on the Hoosier national forest page.My advise is to park and hike a few hundred yards in and camp away from the road.It does not have much traffic but enough.Last time we where there you could still climb the fire tower for a great view.Hoosier National Forest - Special Places
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hick...F-8&ei=QbT4UpaKGu_lygHb4oHQBA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Funny.

Can you pull a camper into Shades State Park? Never camped there but it's rated as primitive so that means no kids (at least to me).

Yes - you can put campers in at Shades. I think there's a max length however - and I think there are restrictions on the hours for generator use.

If it's a "busy weekend" - Shades fills up quickly. All kinds of kids... Best bet for Shades is to go on a non holiday weekend. Earlier in the season the better - chance for "bad weather" keeps many at home.

There are probably half a dozen private campgrounds in the general vicinity, too. No idea about any of them as far as population, though.

Top Bottom