• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Where do you go camping and what activities do you do there?

We use to camp at Yogi Bear parks and they are very nice, especially for the kids. They love singing the Yogi Bear song.

For the past few years though we've been camping at Old Mill Run in Thorntown. Unfortunately though, they will not be accepting reservations next year due to rising fuel costs. They'll be going all seasonal and I don't know that we are ready for all seasonal yet. We have a pop-up and I don't know that a pop-up is a good seasonal recreational vehicle.

For the past 3 years though we've only been camping on holidays because of karate tournaments. I don't know what activities they have for kids on non-holiday weekends at Thorntown but there is a lot to do during the holiday weekends.

There's euchre, bingo, kids bingo, hay rides, dances, pancake breakfasts, horseshoes, putt-putt, etc. They have a pool and a hot tub. There's around 4 play ground areas.

We like going here because it's about an hour drive. It's far enough away but close enough if we need to go home.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I camp in the middle of nowhere in Greene County.

I usually play with radios, and wire antennas while camping.
    This year we'll be playing with a large telescope, and a camera too ;)

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I camp in the middle of nowhere in Greene County.

Man that sounds great.. I've got a slide in camper for my P/u.. Great for quick getaways but I really hate organized camp sites.... I think we end up using it in our backyard more than anything else..

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    My wife and I used to camp at Hardin Ridge outside of Bloomington. One time I think we lasted the night. Most times we would leave before night :):

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    We camp all over Southern Indiana. We like Patoka Lake and even Indian/Celine Lake in the Hoosier National Forest.

Glad to hear of other campers that are gun enthusiasts!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm heading to Jackson Falls(behind enemy lines) in two weeks...As flooded as the midwest hast been here lately, it should be pretty nice.

+1 for Hoosier and Lincoln as well.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like to camp, and I generally (used to) prefer wilderness. The older I get, the less "roughing it" I'm willing to do. When I was a kid, it was a cooler and a sleeping bag. These days, it's two days packing the pop-up. I figure in another 15 years, I'm going to have to buy an RV of some sort.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I used to camp at Hardin Ridge outside of Bloomington. One time I think we lasted the night. Most times we would leave before night :):

Hardin Ridge is our favorite IN campground, camp in the woods not on a lawn... but we ALWAYS stay overnight. Usually wake up at least once a night hearing the raccoons shaking the cooler! REALLY!

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    The only 2 things I really look for is mosquitos smaller than B-52's and not hearing stereos from other camp sites.. Off season works, I given up on much else..

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Our family doesn't really rough it when we "camp". My wife wouldn't sleep in a tent if her life depended on it!

We have central heat and air and High Def TV in our RV.

Like I said, not realling roughing it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The only 2 things I really look for is mosquitos smaller than B-52's and not hearing stereos from other camp sites.. Off season works, I given up on much else..

That's my major problem with organized campgrounds. I like the amenities (a 30 amp circuit to my camper is quite handy) but the postage-stamp sites suck. Oh, and as a walking mosquito magnet, I will agree with you on not having insects that can carry away small children.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Most of the state parks where I've camped have decent sized sites. We keep maps of the parks we visit and know which spots we want when it's time to make reservations.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Hardin Ridge is our favorite IN campground, camp in the woods not on a lawn... but we ALWAYS stay overnight. Usually wake up at least once a night hearing the raccoons shaking the cooler! REALLY!

I don't suppose there's electricity or water hookups in the woods? :D
    I'm not going anywhere without a bathroom somewhere either.. hehehe (and I don't want to use the great outdoors)

clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    We camp shades a lot so you can go tubing down the river, just went to raccoon lake. It was nice, never been there before. Used to go to pokagen a lot when I was a kid. Also like paynetown on lake monroe.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't suppose there's electricity or water hookups in the woods? :D
    I'm not going anywhere without a bathroom somewhere either.. hehehe (and I don't want to use the great outdoors)

There are campsites with electric and water hook-ups... an RV orientation. The "primitive" sites we prefer have bath-houses that are easy walking distance with flush toilets and showers. Here's a link to Hardin Ridge
    Hardin Ridge Recreation Area

Another interesting note about mosquitoes is that they are way worse in my backyard than whenever we have camped here... I wonder if they are nuking them with spray or what?
    check it out... really is a first class camp ground

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Last time I "wilderness" camped (and I use the term "wilderness" loosely), was in Brown County. Nice camping area, but *nothing* to do. That's a tough sell when you're trying to entertain a kid for more than a day.

Top Bottom