• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I will be hard wiring the system. No Wi-Fi.
    One system.....8 cameras and the distances you state should be good.
    You have to understand what a :n00b: I am with electronics. I can wire it up and get it going but the KISS scenario is in place here.......Keep it simple stupid.
    I can fix your furnace....build you a sweet 1911....a nice AR and am a fair hand at building 750 HP big blocks but not a sharp cookie beyond that.

Feel free to call me with any questions. I do structured data cabling for a living, and its got a few gotchas that can bite you in the butt. (Each run must be less than 100 meters, not run parallel to any AC wires, stay away from Fluorescent ballasts, etc) And the other gotcha, the RJ45s do have a rhyme and reason. Its not a simple straight through connection. The cable pairs matter.

Snipercop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    SS Indianapolis
    Battled these questions for better than a year. I would definitely go with a wired system. Too many issues with wireless cameras. I finally decided on a custom system from Nelly's Security - The webs top source for New Security Cameras, Analog Surveillance Systems, and High Definition IP Systems. - Nelly's Security
    The company offers lifetime customer service and excellent pricing. They have always been there to answer any questions for me and assist when my Uverse box gets changed out! - Good ole' Oklahoma people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Feel free to call me with any questions. I do structured data cabling for a living, and its got a few gotchas that can bite you in the butt. (Each run must be less than 100 meters, not run parallel to any AC wires, stay away from Fluorescent ballasts, etc) And the other gotcha, the RJ45s do have a rhyme and reason. Its not a simple straight through connection. The cable pairs matter.

I do know about the AC thing...shielded cable ballasts etc.
    Total lengths are a mystery unless it is in the instructions (if I read them) and some of the software mentioned is beyond my cave man level Google-Fu.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    I bought a Swann system a few years ago at Frys. It was an 8 channel dvr with 4 cameras. If I had it to do over I would buy the DVR without cameras and buy the cameras separately. The cameras that came in my kit were not that good, and they had a very narrow field of vision. I'd recommend a wide angle camera to cover and overlap the area you are wanting to cover. I've replaced 3 of the cameras because they crapped out with much better versions and they are wide angle too.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Sorry to thread jack, but am also interested.
    Are wired cams nowadays all cat5/cat 6? or coax? All connected to a computer for monitoring? or stand alone box?
    Wat sort of hardware is involved? I run a couple usb cams off my puter's that alert me if someone is in the room. but would like to have more (exterior options).
    So I am following along in this thread, just curious what hardware/software is involved (aside from power) for these cameras. THey all look the same to me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sorry to thread jack, but am also interested.
    Are wired cams nowadays all cat5/cat 6? or coax? All connected to a computer for monitoring? or stand alone box?
    Wat sort of hardware is involved? I run a couple usb cams off my puter's that alert me if someone is in the room. but would like to have more (exterior options).
    So I am following along in this thread, just curious what hardware/software is involved (aside from power) for these cameras. THey all look the same to me.

cat 5 is limited to 295 feet transmission, unless a repeater or hub is used. It has to do with the collision/timing of the packets in the transmission

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    cat 5 is limited to 295 feet transmission, unless a repeater or hub is used. It has to do with the collision/timing of the packets in the transmission

So that means coax, with some sort of converter box? like friggin token ring from the 80's?
    Though 295 feet isn't an issue at my place. 10ft usb is.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So that means coax, with some sort of converter box? like friggin token ring from the 80's?
    Though 295 feet isn't an issue at my place. 10ft usb is.

295 will more than cover anything we do location wise.

295 feet burns up real fast if it's at 2 locations.
    Course, I'm used to running lengths in a building the size of a large mall.

As for why the distance limitation on CAT 5
    networking - Maximum length of Ethernet over CAT5 - Super User
    The specification of 328 feet has to do entirely with collision detection in a CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Multi Access / Collision Detection network. The length is limited by the fact that the shortest possible frame size (64 bytes) can be sent out on the wire and if a collision occurs, the sending node will still be sending that frame when it hears the collision.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    295 feet burns up real fast if it's at 2 locations.
    Course, I'm used to running lengths in a building the size of a large mall.

As for why the distance limitation on CAT 5
    networking - Maximum length of Ethernet over CAT5 - Super User
    The specification of 328 feet has to do entirely with collision detection in a CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense Multi Access / Collision Detection network. The length is limited by the fact that the shortest possible frame size (64 bytes) can be sent out on the wire and if a collision occurs, the sending node will still be sending that frame when it hears the collision.

Is this per run or total in the entire system

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I get all that... I gather they can be linked? have 2 jacks or something goofy? to make a 300' run unpossible?
    I'd be running them all to one central hub. max length any one camera/cable to the hub (cat 6), 75'

Can my router assign them IP's and such individually? or some special box?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I get all that... I gather they can be linked? have 2 jacks or something goofy? to make a 300' run unpossible?
    I'd be running them all to one central hub. max length any one camera/cable to the hub (cat 6), 75'

You can join multiple lengths together, but it can't exceed 295. Unless you put a switch or hub in there, then you can extend it again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, I'm just talking CAT5. Pretty sure there are other options out there.

But, coax works great. So does a special video cable that contains coax for the signal, and wires for voltage, together in the same cable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom