• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Okay group, I've been stumped (which doesn't happen that often when it comes to computer hardware/software - as I too am a computer techie and geek).

Here's the situation:

My dad's dell laptop ended up having a worn out screen and video card so he's purchased a new one but is trying to recover his files off of his old drives. Typically this is simple enough but in this case he had the two drives setup in RAID 0 (i.e. striping) which means that he cannot recover any data off of just one drive, he needs them to be setup in RAID 0 for this to be successful.

The drives are in excellent working condition (at least they were prior to the screen and video card going out).

My suggestion was to purchase an external USB 2-bay raid controller to which he could connect the two drives and he should be good to go. He did so, setup the enclosure to be RAID 0 (switches on the box itself) plugged in his drives and his new PC recognized the new USB connected device as an external hard drive, however when he clicked on it, it requested him to format the drives in order for them to work. (obviously he said no and then gave me a call). I should mention that he lives in FL so I can't just run over there and work on it myself.

My initial suggestion is that he try flipping the drives in the enclosure as with RAID 0 there is still a primary and secondary drive and to see if that worked. (I have not yet heard back to see if this worked).

My question to you all... What other options are there to get this working (outside of sending the drives out for very expensive recovery)

Blessings and thanks to all of you!

Keith

kup

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    NW IN
    buy a USB video card and hook up a spare monitor, once old system comes up tranesfer-backup the old RAID drives to a USB external drive??

have seen USB video cards but not sure if the can replace the internal card or they are an addition for a second display

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Software raid (windows OS raid)? Or a hardware solution that was in the old laptop? Assuming the former, but you never know...

kup's solution is valid, but you may have others depending on your answer here.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Asking the obvious just to be sure:

1. External video on the laptop is not an option? Has he tried it?
    2. Did he have any remote access or filesharing turned on with the laptop so that you might be able to telnet in or otherwise share your way into the data?

Your best bet is to get the old laptop running like a zombie just long enough to yank the data off. The next options are far less fun.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    If it is a hardware RAID controller on the old system, your new system probably has a different controller... which means it will not recognize the old controller's "RAID". if the old system still works at all... maybe plug in an external monitor? Then use a HDD Imaging software (Ghost, Acronis, MS Physical to VHD, etc...) create an image of the drive on an external, then just pull the files off at will. I've been in this situation before, and it can be a royal pain in the butt to work around.

Good Luck!

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I believe that it was hardware controlled RAID and as such the controller is likely different.

I'll need to look at external video cards to see if this option will work (as they need to be plug and play as there's no way to see the current monitor to install drivers, etc) any suggestions on which one to purchase?

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    There are multiple external usb video adapters that can be had for less than $50. I use one as an easy way to run one of my extra monitors. They won't run any kind of serious video or gaming applications but they do work. I don't remember the brand but I got mine at BestBuy.

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=externa+usb+video+adapter&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3MOZA_enUS339US340&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&rlz=1B3MOZA_enUS339US340&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=zlveTbrHEsjDgQehodHkCg&ved=0CIIBEAUoAA&q=external+usb+video+adapter&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=8243c438d6fb7fea&biw=1600&bih=757[/ame]

Top Bottom