• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    One thing I've noticed this time around that is the same as the last time is that there seems to be plenty of .40 S&W on the shelf. It's popular enough to be carried by Meijers, yet not popular enough to disappear with everything else.

One thing that's different though is that they also have a bunch of .380 too. That had disappeared last time and with the popularity of .380s, I would have figured it would disappear again. But the ammo case was empty of all handgun calibers except .40 and .380 last time I was there.

I really ought to by something in .40 or at least a .40 barrel for something I already have in 10mm.

I've noticed this as well and now regretting selling off my .40 and .380. I did replace the .40 with a Glock 17 but I'm still waiting on a Shield to replace the .380 I sold. I may buy a Glock 19 to hold me over till my Shield arrives (July delivery date :( ).

Last edited:

HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I've tried to get myself down to four calibers:

.22lr
    9mm
    7.62x54r
    12 Gauge

And to a far lesser extent, I stock on 20 gauge and .410.

Eventually, that 7.62x54r will turn into .223. Right now, I don't have the funds available for the AR-15 that I want, and honestly pending possible legislation I'd rather take my designated "gun-fund" and spend it on join pro 2A organizations, stocking up on ammo, and getting some training.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    30-30...available all over. Very reloadable, even with gas checks. More powerful than AK ammo.
    Politically correct in most jurisdictions. Rifles can be found at any gun show in good used condition.
    Nice gun to have in the safe for when the SHTF. JMHO.

solution_zero

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indy
    Everywhere that sells ammo has .30-30 on the shelf, even during "panic buy" times. Plenty of quality ammo in MilSurp calibers available too.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of .380 still on shelves right now. That was the first thing to go last time. :dunno:

45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Since I cast and reload for everything I shoot, to avoid shortages all I do is stock up on components.

I just broke open a brick of Winchester large rifle primers that are marked $14.75, so you can tell I've doing this awhile. :)

Cat

bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    .22 LR
    7.62x39
    .223/5.56
    9mm
    12 gauge

.308 for long range stuff

The first five you can find just about any place you will ever go or out laying around. The last ones are common but not nearly as common as the first ones.

If I had to only have a few calibers it would be,

7.62x39
    9mm

Again you can and will be able to find them pretty much all over the earth and just about everyone has at least one of them.

+1.

Only thing I'd add is maybe .40. I don't own one myself but enough LE use it to make it a legitimate selection.

Glockshooter149

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    I've tried to get myself down to four calibers:

.22lr
    9mm
    7.62x54r
    12 Gauge

And to a far lesser extent, I stock on 20 gauge and .410.

Eventually, that 7.62x54r will turn into .223. Right now, I don't have the funds available for the AR-15 that I want, and honestly pending possible legislation I'd rather take my designated "gun-fund" and spend it on join pro 2A organizations, stocking up on ammo, and getting some training.

I did the same thing. I have narrowed my collection down to my 22lr, 9mm in my handguns, 12 gauge in a variety of shot and slugs, and I went with a 30-06 for my rifle. I went with the 30-06 vs 308 due to 30-06 doesn't get picked over quickly and i guess nostalgia, grew up with a 30-06

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    KISS.

Basics and casting/handloading to keep them stacked deep. Not that the a 7mm Mauser or 16 gauge that fits just right isn't tempting at times....

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Everywhere that sells ammo has .30-30 on the shelf, even during "panic buy" times. Plenty of quality ammo in MilSurp calibers available too.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of .380 still on shelves right now. That was the first thing to go last time. :dunno:

I have been surprised by this as well. The last time I had a .380 and finding it was impossible. Now, the stuff is everywhere from my experience but I haven't had much issue finding 9mm, .38, .45, or really .223 so far. However, it seems .22 is like finding gold at the end of the rainbow from my experience. If I were to look at another caliber then the .30 caliber idea is a good one along with 22-250 and also .30-06 has been plentiful yet expensive.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with the majority that you should go common calibers first but there are several less popular calibers that wouldn't be bad to have.

22 mag guns can be found cheap, it's a pretty decent and versatile round, the ammo is pretty much always available and really cheap.

9x18 Again good guns in the caliber can be had cheap. Decent round, most places carry it, but rarely run out. Affordable ammo as well.

30-30 great always available round. Not as cheap as NATO or 7.62x39 but as cheap or cheaper than most "hunting calibers"

benzkomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I think the 9mm is a safe choice and personally stocked up on the .40 since I can find decent prices on those two.

Top Bottom