• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm looking for ammo for one of these old revolvers. I don't have it with me and can't recall the brand, but it's similar to those old Ivers Johnson revolvers. Might have been a Harrington Richardson.

Anyways, how do you tell the caliber on these? I looked for a stamp on the revolver and couldn't find one when I had a chance to examine it. It's centerfire, and knowing this that reasonably narrows it down to .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, and .38 S&W. The diameter seemed a bit small to be the .38, so I'm going to suppose it's one of the .32s.

How do you tell if it's .32 short or long? I'll measure the cylinder next time I can handle the firearm. What cylinder lengths am I looking at for both cartridges? Is it just a little bit over cartridge OAL?

If it helps the top strap was labeled Partolman. It is not a Smith & Wesson though.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sorry, please get back to us when you can identify the specific brand/model. Any specific advise given before then is potentially dangerous. H&R made revolvers in all of those calibers. S&W is known for the Patrolman model, but I couldn't find anything about an H&R Patrolman.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm looking for ammo for one of these old revolvers. I don't have it with me and can't recall the brand, but it's similar to those old Ivers Johnson revolvers. Might have been a Harrington Richardson.

Anyways, how do you tell the caliber on these? I looked for a stamp on the revolver and couldn't find one when I had a chance to examine it. It's centerfire, and knowing this that reasonably narrows it down to .32 S&W, .32 S&W long, and .38 S&W. The diameter seemed a bit small to be the .38, so I'm going to suppose it's one of the .32s.

How do you tell if it's .32 short or long? I'll measure the cylinder next time I can handle the firearm. What cylinder lengths am I looking at for both cartridges? Is it just a little bit over cartridge OAL?

If it helps the top strap was labeled Partolman. It is not a Smith & Wesson though.

The only thing stamped on the gun is "Patrolman"? No manufacturer? (Then how do you know that it's not a Smith & Wesson?) No caliber? No serial number? Any signs of grinding or filing?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "Mr. Saturday night's so special, he's got a barrel that's blue and gold. It ain't good for nothin', but fillin' a man full of .38 holes..."

Cujo71321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't know the circumstances around your receiving this gun, but if it is one you are considering buying, I would suggest you pass it by and get something more modern. If you already own it, take it to a reputable gun shop for advice about make, model, ammo, etc. or go to the big Indy 1500 gun show and ask around. Someone will know what it is, and whether it is worth anything, and whether it is safe to fire. NEVER shoot a gun that you know nothing about, especially an old gun. It is possible that it could blow up in your face and do a lot of damage. Use the spirit of a sound mind...
    Thanks,
    Cujo71321

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The only thing stamped on the gun is "Patrolman"? No manufacturer? (Then how do you know that it's not a Smith & Wesson?) No caliber? No serial number? Any signs of grinding or filing?
    Oh, it has a manufacturer I just can't remember it. A relative got it in a trade so I'm trying to find the caliber. It was in fine condition, cylinder lockup was great. I just have no idea what caliber it is. It was one of the "two name" brands. Such as Harrington Richardson, Ivers Johnson, Hopkins & Allen. I can't remember the particular one. I'll have another chance to examine in a few days, but I figured this was worth a shot.

I'm really not expecting for you guys to know the caliber with what I've been able to give. I've just wanted to know what cylinder length I should expect for the two cartridges so I can measure and tell next time I have a chance to examine it. I know the shorts would work in both, but I hate spending nearly twice the money if it does take longs.

This won't be a defensive gun for anybody just in case anyone thought that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom