• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    and what about this differs from what Ron Paul would do?
    Just about everything. Ron Paul isn't looking to spend billions more dollars on more shovel-ready infrastructure jobs. He wants to cut. He looks at illegal immigration as an economic problem. He wants to cut freebies that attract excessive illegal immigrants, reform drug laws that incentivize smuggling, and he said he'd put troops on the U.S. border rather than using them to guard borders around the world.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Just about everything. Ron Paul isn't looking to spend billions more dollars on more shovel-ready infrastructure jobs. He wants to cut. He looks at illegal immigration as an economic problem. He wants to cut freebies that attract excessive illegal immigrants, reform drug laws that incentivize smuggling, and he said he'd put troops on the U.S. border rather than using them to guard borders around the world.
    and I've heard him say all those things, but he also voted yes on the bill to build a 700 mile fence along the US Mexican boarder. point 1 of his six point plan regarding boarder security says "we must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we can undertake complicated immigration reform proposals."

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    and I've heard him say all those things, but he also voted yes on the bill to build a 700 mile fence along the US Mexican boarder. point 1 of his six point plan regarding boarder security says "we must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we can undertake complicated immigration reform proposals."

I'm sure Ron was just joking about that for a certain crowd......:D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    When asked in 2007 he said that the fence was his weakest reason for supporting that bill. The legislation also included infrastructure, roads, lighting, surveillance, and other tools that would be useful to manned border patrol on the Mexican border. His favored method of border security is personnel, not the fence.
    Q: You voted to support that 700-mile fence along the border with Mexico. Is there a need for a similar fence along the border with Canada?

PAUL: No. The fence was my weakest reason for voting for that, but enforcing the law was important, and border security is important. And we've talked about amnesty, which I'm positively opposed to. If you subsidize something, you get more of it. We subsidize illegal immigration, we reward it by easy citizenship, either birthright or amnesty.

GOP debate at Saint Anselm College, June 3, 2007

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    When asked in 2007 he said that the fence was his weakest reason for supporting that bill. The legislation also included infrastructure, roads, lighting, surveillance, and other tools that would be useful to manned border patrol on the Mexican border. His favored method of border security is personnel, not the fence.
    Q: You voted to support that 700-mile fence along the border with Mexico. Is there a need for a similar fence along the border with Canada?

PAUL: No. The fence was my weakest reason for voting for that, but enforcing the law was important, and border security is important. And we've talked about amnesty, which I'm positively opposed to. If you subsidize something, you get more of it. We subsidize illegal immigration, we reward it by easy citizenship, either birthright or amnesty.

I also heard him say that as well, but he voted for it none the less. so why is it such a travesty we Cain brings it up? you mention cost, so what would cost more, the fee's to build a permanent structure, or the cost of maintain a permanent supply of troops large enough to guard all 700 miles of that boarder? Look,I agree with Paul's stance on boarder security and much of his domestic policy as well, I just don't see where him and Cain are that far apart on this particular issue.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I also heard him say that as well, but he voted for it none the less. so why is it such a travesty we Cain brings it up? you mention cost, so what would cost more, the fee's to build a permanent structure, or the cost of maintain a permanent supply of troops large enough to guard all 700 miles of that boarder? Look,I agree with Paul's stance on boarder security and much of his domestic policy as well, I just don't see where him and Cain are that far apart on this particular issue.
    I honestly don't know what Herman's true stance is so its hard to compare. He has mentioned moats with alligators too (I know that was a joke). These two may have similarities, but Cain seems more focused on the structural security while Paul wants to eliminate economic incentives and use human personnel. I think drug reform is the best first step towards immigration reform.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

The fence doesnt catch people like personnel would. It may keep some out, but if they really want to get here, they will go over the fence, under the fence, or through the fence. The troops we already have on our payroll would be "guarding" the border. Unless you think we should get rid of most of our military, i think it makes sense. Its not like we'd be going out hiring people to do this.

I also have no idea what Cains stance is, his lack of voting record helps keep us guessing thats for sure...

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    The fence doesnt catch people like personnel would. It may keep some out, but if they really want to get here, they will go over the fence, under the fence, or through the fence. The troops we already have on our payroll would be "guarding" the border. Unless you think we should get rid of most of our military, i think it makes sense. Its not like we'd be going out hiring people to do this.

I also have no idea what Cains stance is, his lack of voting record helps keep us guessing thats for sure...
    I think it would require both in order to be effective. kind of like the bases they have set up over in desert, they use physical barriers and personnel to keep unwanted people out. without a physical barrier there is absolutely no way to get it under control.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

He didn't say there wasn't a need for a fence on the southern border though. The question had nothing to do with a southern fence. His answer was about a northern one. And while even a southern one may have been the smallest contributing factor in his decision to vote for it, nothing in his answer indicates he's against a fence on the southern border, only the northern one.

At any rate, I think this ends the speculation on whether or not he's willing to compromise some things to get other more important ones done.

Not if it's electrified. :D Cain doesn't look so stupid now, does he?

Will you people make up your minds. You hate career politicians but them lambast a man for not being one. :dunno:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

So he votes for a really big fence though. To get the other things in the legislation that he felt were more important/more effective.

Compromise. He can't have his cake and eat it too as POTUS. He knows this.

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Cain is in a virtual tie with ossama and romney. paul is single digits and going no where. paulites are more willing to go down with the ship than get ossama out of the white house.

chandler10r1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Danville,IN
    I'm all in favor of the electric fence. If someone wants to enter our country, they should do it the LEGAL way. To bad he flip flopped or he would have had my vote.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So he votes for a really big fence though. To get the other things in the legislation that he felt were more important/more effective.

Compromise. He can't have his cake and eat it too as POTUS. He knows this.

So? I think he made a good call. Apparently so do you. Nobody seems to disagree with this. What are you *****ing about?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Cain is in a virtual tie with ossama and romney. paul is single digits and going no where. paulites are more willing to go down with the ship than get ossama out of the white house.

Not sure who Ossama is? Unless Bin Laden has come back to life and is running for president, i wouldnt expect him to get many votes.

And 88gt ..... I dont believe i've ever spoken about career politicians positive or negative.

Top Bottom