• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    I've been on the fence on this rifle. Mainly because I was skeptical about the fit and finish of these from Century, based on a lot of the negative from other rifles. After looking at some of the pictures, seem like they got it right.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been on the fence on this rifle. Mainly because I was skeptical about the fit and finish of these from Century, based on a lot of the negative from other rifles. After looking at some of the pictures, seem like they got it right.

I don't know if Palmetto State still has them in stock at the $399 price, but if so, they're offering free shipping on orders over 100 bucks this weekend I believe. Just sayin'... ;)

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Took mine a little under a month to get here between processing (which took about 3 weeks) and shipping from PSA. Wire stock is in no danger of folding without some serious intervention. Other than that, the only thing that I shook my head at is the amount of cosmoline in the mags that come in the pouch. They are aluminum with a steel spring. That does not justify a mosin's worth of cosmoline per mag.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Here she is in her final configuration. Got the red dot yesterday and bore sighted it this afternoon. Planning on sighting it in tomorrow!

IMG_2589_zpsc509ba40.jpg

IMG_2590_zpsec4aef35.jpg

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Got to shoot mine today and.....

Everything was flawless!

Ran 120 rounds through it without a single issue. Used 4/5 mags and they were perfect. The converted 10 round mag was perfect.

And the kicker...it was dead on at 50yds. I brought the front sight up half a turn and that was it. No left or right adjustments necessary.

I was worried because the 25yd range was full so I decided to try 50yds to start expecting it to be difficult to find my POI, but my very first round was on paper, and where I wanted it no less.

I couldn't be happier with this rifle. Smooth shooter, recoil is easy, and I can tell its more accurate than I am.

Aside from a little stock wobble (which I will try to fix by building up some worn areas with jb weld to tighten the lock back up), this rifle is perfect.

draftyranger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Shelbyville IN
    Went to Camp Atterbury yesterday and shot my new VZ 2008. Wow! What an awesome gun. I para cord wrapped the stock and it makes the cheek weld a little more comfortable. Compared to my Polish AKMS and Hungarian AMD 65 (both with folding stocks) its on par with both of them, not the most comfortable but serviceable. I sighted it in on the bench, it was shooting a little high and to the right. I had to adjust the front sight a little bit but not to much. At 50 yards, I was getting 2 inch groups, which is about the best I can do with these style sights. I shot about 60 rounds through the gun with zero malfunctions. 30 rounds were shot in rapid succession and the hand guards heated up a lot, to the point I had to set the rifle down. Shooting from the bench isn't very comfortable but shooting from the standing position proved to be as pleasant as shooting my AKM's and SKS's! Needless to say, I am so impressed with the rifle that I just placed an order for a second one! For the price you cant beat it!

Airborne18th

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    The VZ is a cool platform. I have had I turd from century in a C93. I haven't heard any bad reports from people concerning the VZ. I think if you have the money to do it make it happen. Century farms out some of their stuff if they used a reputable manufacturer then you are good. I think they are really cool. They are not AK's though.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Here she is in her final configuration. Got the red dot yesterday and bore sighted it this afternoon. Planning on sighting it in tomorrow!

IMG_2589_zpsc509ba40.jpg

IMG_2590_zpsec4aef35.jpg

You had me until you mounted the red dot. I like the overall look but for me it looks unbalanced with that thing on it. But hey, that's what makes the world go around. Good luck with your set up.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You had me until you mounted the red dot. I like the overall look but for me it looks unbalanced with that thing on it. But hey, that's what makes the world go around. Good luck with your set up.

:): Well the funny thing is, this is so out of character for me. I'm normally a "wood and steel" guy and tend to leave rifles as they are. I don't know what got into me with this one! I just wanted to solve the problem of the hand guard heating up, and well, wanted something more comfortable than the wire folding stock. One thing led to another and this was the result.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Finally made it to the range today to sight in the red dot. The new stock set and muzzle brake has made a WORLD of difference! No more hot hands, although I could still feel the heat from the barrel coming through the vents in the hand guards. The surface of the guards didn't get hot though. It really tamed the recoil and muzzle rise and best of all, no more pain from that wire side folder. Feels more like shooting an AR now. The only complaint I have is that the muzzle brake wants to unscrew itself. I put a jam nut on it, but maybe I didn't get the nut and the brake tightened against each other enough? I really don't want to mar up the metal by cranking on them with pliers though. Should I try some red Loctite on the threads? I don't really see myself needing to take the brake off for any reason. Would that be a reasonable solution?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    High temp loctite would work or make a groove for the spring detent

So high temp is different than red, yes? I don't really have anything to make the groove in the jam nut that I would need. As I understand it, red loctite softens at about 500 degrees. I suppose if I was doing a whole bunch of mag dumps in a row it could approach or surpass that at the muzzle.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Not knowing what your shooing habits are red may work. Wouldn't be any harm in trying it. If you decide you want to have a notch cut in the brake let me know

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think I'll give it (the red) a try. Like you said, won't hurt anything. The brake does have a groove in it, but the brake is wobbly loose when I get it as tight as I can and still engage the detent pin, hence the jam nut. It's a Century thing I think. :):

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Red is only removable with significant heat, so it's "permanent" in that it won't come off unless you really want it off.

Unless you're doing mag dumps or sitting in a SBF position, I wouldn't expect it to heat up enough to fall off. Even if it does heat up, you still have it torqued on there (right?) so it won't just fall off.

Top Bottom