Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    You're not serious are you, Prometheus?

Prometheus is allways serious. :D

What the heck is a "proper place?" The only thing I can imagine is the scenario I already put forth... on a desert island... all alone with no chance of coming into contact with anyone until the effects and addiction subside.

Kinda like take all the guns and destroy them. So no chance of coming into contact with anyone.

I'm not saying arrest users either. However, it is a much different thing to condone moronic behavior with passivism. Dealers -- go to jail for a long time. Users -- give them an option. Rehab with a three strikes rule (with jail time for repeat offenders) or total isolation, so that can't do anything remotely dangerous while under the influence..

Nobody is condoning moronic behavior. We all ready have tough laws for dealers and 3 time losers I mean users. It's not working.

Last, with the exception of the above, no additional expenditure to help them. If they lose three strikes, then no more government aid. (welfare, etc.).. This is the same thing as insurance companies penalizing smoking and obesity. If a person is knowingly harming themselves, the insurer charges more.
    I have no problem paying more for insurance because I smoke (cigs). I don't see the similarity.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The drug question shouldn't be a question of practicality, but of principle. I have a right, endowed by my Creator, to ingest what I want into my own body. I have an absolute right to make stupid decisions, as long as those decisions don't initiate force against another person. Would our country be better off if no one abused drugs? You bet it would. But that's not relevant. Freedom has a cost.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If you legalize all drugs, crystal meth will disappear. The reason is simple economics: meth is a substitute drug for people who can't afford the higher prices of the "purer" drugs like cocaine and marijuana. It's popular because it's cheaper to make than the other stuff is to import. If the prohibition-inflated prices of better drugs come down because the "war" has ended, there will be no reason for anyone to make or use meth, because the hazards of making it will not be worthwhile against the simplicity of growing marijuana or poppy or whatever.

T J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Castleton
    Yes legalize drugs! That doesn't mean there can't be reasonable restrictions on the substances, lust like there are for tobacco and alcohol. Those restrictions shouldn't be in the hands of the federal government, but on the state/local level.

Freedom should be absolute as long as it doesn't infringe onto another's freedom. That being said, I'm glad to see a mostly libertarian view in this thread's responses!

Top Bottom