• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I was recently told by a friend that he refused to fish the whitewater river because he has had to many friends arrested for PI while kayaking on it. He claimed they were not DRUNK, but just drinking and the CO actually waded out to stop their boats.

I was not aware that this was even an issue or a concern. Can anyone please elaborate?

Also, I am wondering about life jacket laws.... I have been told that I don't need to take on in a non motorized self powered vessel like a kayak. I take one anyways, but just want to know the law on the matter.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    If I remember correctly there has to be a floatation device for each person on ANY watercraft. Not sure about the drunk/not drunk issue as that is always an on-site call, but the operating of a powered boat does cause issues with your DL.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I do remember my wife and I went on a canoe trip on the Whitewater, thinking that maybe we'd take the kids the next time. But, after we went and saw that it was mostly crazy partiers, we decided not to take the kids there. Although it was a good time and we went several more times just her and I.

Maybe they're just trying to clean things up and make it more family-friendly.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Life jacket required. My wife was "stopped" by C. O. on lake while in a kayak last summer. She had a cushion but no jacket. Was informed that it is required for all vessels. He ask her if she was headed home & she replied yes. He said that I will allow you to go straight home & not issue situation but do not get caught with out one again.

No knowledge of alcohol issues in non-motorized. Motorized is same b.a.c. limit as car.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From IC:
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2015/ic/titles/014/articles/015/
    IC 14-15-2-6
    Personal flotation devices
    Sec. 6. (a) This section does not apply to the following:
    (1) A sailboard or windsurfing board.
    (2) A manually propelled boat, such as a racing shell, rowing
    scull, or racing kayak:
    (A) that is recognized by national or international racing
    associations for use in competitive racing;
    (B) in which all occupants row, scull, or paddle, with the
    exception of a coxswain if a coxswain is provided; and
    (C) that is designed to carry and carries equipment only for
    competitive racing.
    (b) All boats must be equipped with the number and type of
    personal flotation devices listed in this subsection. A person may not
    operate a boat unless the boat contains:
    (1) for each person on board, one (1) personal flotation device
    that meets the requirements for designation by the United States
    Coast Guard as a Type I, Type II, Type III, or Type V personal
    flotation device; and
    (2) for a boat, except a canoe or kayak, at least sixteen (16) feet
    in length and in addition to the requirements of subdivision (1),
    one (1) personal flotation device that meets the requirements for
    designation by the United States Coast Guard as a Type IV
    personal flotation device.
    (c) The director may waive the requirements of this section for a
    boat during competition in a boat race for which a permit has been
    issued by the department if the following conditions are met:
    (1) The sponsor of the boat race has informed the director of the
    precautions the sponsor will take to minimize the safety hazards
    that exist due to noncompliance with the requirements of this
    section.
    (2) The sponsor files with the director a document under which
    the sponsor assumes all liability that may result from the use of
    a boat under the waiver

And also, for "drinking and boating":
    https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2015/ic/titles/035/articles/046/chapters/009/
    Seems to only apply to motorized water craft. I suppose you could still get hit with Public Intoxication.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yea. what if you take your boat cushion and put your arms through the loops that are sewn to it on opposing ends and wear it like a back pack? That'll work won't it?

We used to sit on them. It kept you out of the water mid chest up. CO's said they worked.
    I got intercepted once doing my just before sundown full throttle loop of the lake. Water is calm at that time. CO thought we might be drinking but no. He looked my boat over....gave a thumbs up on safety and we sat there for an hour showing him the 450 HP 400 CI small block and big block outdrive with water line exhaust in a 21 Ft. SeaRay Cuddy. He was impressed.
    Said he had to wait on me to come back around as his boay did not stand a chance hence the "Intercept".....:)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Yea. what if you take your boat cushion and put your arms through the loops that are sewn to it on opposing ends and wear it like a back pack? That'll work won't it?

It'll float you face down, which is a pretty significant problem.

It doesn't matter how you can use a flotation device; it matters that the Coast Guard says that it safely floats an unconscious person. And the cushions definitely don't.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I believe the biggest issue with drinking on the Whitewater was down around whitewater state park where they rent canoes and such. Back in the day, I had some friends get harassed "cabrewing" but no one was ever arrested. People used to head down there, rent some equipment and raise hell.

Personally, I've never seen a CO while on the water. Honestly, I hope to keep it that way. I'd rather not be bothered while I'm fishing.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It'll float you face down, which is a pretty significant problem.

It doesn't matter how you can use a flotation device; it matters that the Coast Guard says that it safely floats an unconscious person. And the cushions definitely don't.
    Neither does a jacket if it's not worn. But you only have to have it IN the boat.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup, definitely need a floatations device in a watercraft (motored or non motored).

My brother got a ticket 2 years back in Lafayette for floating down the river in an inner tube with no floatation device. Biggest load of horse crap ticket I've ever heard of.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....Crimes that have no victim are not crimes, but an additional tax on freedom and liberty.
    Also.....Something about people that would trade freedom for temporary security deserve neither.

Top Bottom