Cabinet for accessories and ammo? How do you store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Do any of you use a seperate cabinet (other than a safe) to hold accessories, extra parts, scopes, mags, ammo, powder, primers etc?

If not...how do you store this stuff?

I am looking for a decent, lockable cabinet (just to keep the kids out, I realize its not theft protection) where I can store my extras and accessories. I have been to all the usual stores, home depot, lowes, menards, etc....and they have some nice cabinets that are meant for garage storage, but they are $200-$400. I also looked at the metal cabinets used for office storage, but they are in the $600+ range.

After looking around, I have preliminarily decided to purchase an inexpensive closet type storage cabinet and add a lock which will be about $90. But, waiting to see if anyone has any better ideas.

Just curiuos if any of you have found something that works well or how you accommodate space requirements!

Thanks in advance!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    What are you looking for (wood, metal?) and how big?

I just use a Sauder cabinet with a cable lock through the door handles. It's enough to keep the kids out. We have I think five of these scattered throughout the house (not all have gun stuff unfortunately :D). There's a Suader Store at 96th and Allisonville.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    What are you looking for (wood, metal?) and how big?

Well, size and material are up for contemplation. The pic you have posted is almost exactly what I am looking at from home depot for about $90, except its partical board/pressed wood type material. I am also considering a few base type cabinets to put next to the reloading bench, and then I can place my tumbler and some other items on top of them and have them at "counter" level with the bench.

I would prefer metal, but wood or pressed board is looking like a much cheaper route.

Also....great idea with the cable locks. I was going to add a hinge with pad lock....but cables might be much easier!

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I picked up a couple of the cheaper Homak cabinets, they have the round cylinder locks. The larger sized holds ammo cans great, with the cost of ammo I thought it was good to have most of it locked up.

I have the 6 & 12 gun models:

HAND CARRY BOXES - HOMAK MFG

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    cabinet

I got a cheap lockable (with a key) 2 drawer metal filing cabinet for ammo. I got mine from goodwill ($10) but most towns have some form of store that has old office supplies. I have the ammo in ammo cans to seal out humidity changes. The cabinet, therefore, just has to serve to keep kids out and contain the popcorn from hell effect should the house burn down. I'm saving my 3 kids and my wife, then if I have time, my guns. To free up space in my safe and cabinet I use the cool looking military boxes that the spam cans come in to store everything that is not guns or ammo. I currently have 4 full .30 cal ammo cans and 3 380rd spam cans in the file cabinet. There is room for a little more but the weight is already making the cheap cabinet feel like foil. I'll either buy a lockable 4 drawer file cabinet or an additional 2 drawer one when I "expand". My stuff is all in my home office so the file cabinets do not look out of place and the military boxes look like decoration along a theme.

Last edited:

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    The city next to ours just built a new high-school and had an open auction on the old school. We purchased some old gym and hallway lockers for cheap. Throw a padlock on each one of them or throw a cable lock through all the latches and you're good to go.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    All good input and ideas.....thanks!!

I will most likely build something or have redneckmedic do it, as I never thought about the weight issue with partical board....good lookin out!

The school lockers are a great idea, however I have not been able to find any used or cheap.

Also, another great idea with the concealed filing cabinet/themed room. Not a bad idea. I am just not fond of drawer storage, I would rather it be shelves I think.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I use two Stack-On steel cabinets to store ammo & supplies. Normally, I see them listed for $129 - $149. I bought these on sale at Gander Mt. for $79 each. They have locks sturdy enough to keep kids and non-pro burglers away from your stuff.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    PM redneckmedic.... he can build you a cabinet that will be customized to YOUR needs.

YUP.......Custom Cabinets, (not advertising *cough* *esrice* *cough*)

But I built Nick's Reloading shop and did my own gun cabinet (amongst many other projects) and would be happy to make something for you. However if you want simple IMO 2 sheets of 3/4 ply boxed with with hinges foot locker style with thick twine handles could do you just fine.....:twocents:

PM if you want something nicer or looking to "just pick it up".

CUSTOM GUN CABINET

INDYGUNWORKS SHOP

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Other than what all is in my safe. Any other ammo I have stored in a small 2 shelf locking media cabinet in my room. I got it at an estate auction for cheap. I would have 2 but mom stole the other, lol. Its fairly heavy wood, and the 2 swing out doors also have shelves. I've had it loaded enough that you couldn't lift it without having 2-3 people. And it held up fine. I'd say just look around at rummage sales if you don't wanna have something custom made.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had my dad build me a Military style footlocker. It's about 3 ft long, 1 1/2' tall x
    1 1/2' deep. It has a removable shelf inside. The shelf sits in the box about half way up from the bottom and the shelf sides are even with the top of the box. The shelf and the box have ropes for handles. This was made out of scrap 1/2" plywood. I painted it OD green. I think the only thing I bought was the paint. Cheap project and it will hold a bunch of stuff for it's size...

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    This somthing I wipped up in a afternoon. It wont prevent theft (hell I put handles on it) but it will keep kids out if it. And for 25 bucks It's not bad.

65wcpc.jpg

qs6tzn.jpg

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    I bought two Hon steel cabinets from Office Depot that they had in the clearance area and were willing to deal on them. I gave $100 for both that retailed for $199 each. One had a dent in the side (a dead blow hammer took care of that) and the other was a display piece in good shape.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One had a dent in the side (a dead blow hammer took care of that)...

I gotta get a dead blow hammer!

I have a couple Craftsman Professional Floor Cabinet-Lockers. My future reloading cabinet will be another of those. Gotta watch for them to go on sale.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The pic you have posted is almost exactly what I am looking at from home depot for about $90, except its partical board/pressed wood type material. <snip>

I would prefer metal, but wood or pressed board is looking like a much cheaper route.

I have had this cabinet full of ammo and bullets (ok, not full) for a couple years, and before that it was used to store paper and books, and before that canned food... after about four or five years, no sags... yes it is particle board with vinyl veneer, but the shelves are short and therefore stiff.

And yeah it ran around $90 IIRC.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Heres the Homak cabinet that I picked up for $65 at a local shop, the bottom row of ammo cans was cut off in the pic. It has appox. 4K of 7.62
    and 6K of 5.56 stored along w/ some misc. pistol ammo, knives, bayonets and 30 M14 mags:

ammolocker.jpg

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Heres the Homak cabinet that I picked up for $65 at a local shop, the bottom row of ammo cans was cut off in the pic. It has appox. 4K of 7.62
    and 6K of 5.56 stored along w/ some misc. pistol ammo, knives, bayonets and 30 M14 mags:

EDIT: Nevermind....lowest price I could find is $170 plus shipping.....not quite in my budget.

OP: ((Okay, you picked that up for $65?? Is that a normal price, or did you find a deal? I know you provided a link in your previous post, but I did not see any pricing.

If I can get this for $65, or even a little more....this is nearly the exact type of storage I am looking for, although a few more shelves would be nice (but who would complain, right?) !!

Thanks for the info!!))

Top Bottom