• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Sure, I know Cabela's has been heading off the deep end for some time. This one proves it.

They have MagPul 30 round MOE G2 mags for $12.49. Right next to that in the catalog they are trying to sell Ruger SR-556 30-round mags for $27.99. I own a SR-556, and as anyone else who has decent vision will tell you, Ruger ships the gun with 30-round PMags.

Even Ruger's own shopping site has the mags for $14.95 each. Not sure what Cabela's is doing these day, but man, it's sad...

Please, be my guest:

Ruger® SR 556 Magazine : Cabela's

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just got done looking through the catalog I got in the mail today... Then I saw this thread and had a pretty good idea of what I was going to find opening it hahaha but it really is sad seeing all prices in general right now. And it is just as sad watching people pay the price, happily at that, just like kawtech87 said. I saw stuff like this at the 1500 for example... Just makes me shake my head among other things that is for sure

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ruger basically buys PMAGs at retail, repackage them, and sell them as SR-556 magazines.

Don't know why, but Ruger thought this was a good idea. I just checked Ruger's website and they lowered MSRP on them, there was a time where Ruger had them at $35 just for that purdy red Ruger package.

Smith and Wesson does the same thing, they msr at $19.99

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Ruger sets the price on these mags, not Cabela's. Seems like you're just fishing for a way to bash Cabela's.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, buy the cheaper mags and the retailer will lower the price on the "Ruger" magazines. No big deal.

From my days of slinging guns, strange things happen when the buyers (those that shop for the store) are offered packages.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Perhaps its just older stock, that they bought at the elevated price, and dont want to take a hit on them. OR maybe they also know its the same thing, and its their way to encourage their customers to buy the cheaper p-Mags and leave the Ruger product to the gun snobs who want to over pay for their stuff....

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    It's no mistake Cabela tends to be overprice on alot of stuff. I was just in the Hobart, IN store last weekend.

Like I said, Cabelas doesn't set the price on those Ruger magazines, Ruger does. I don't think Cabelas is that much higher than any other non-web store. Also, they don't have a store in Hobart, IN.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I guess it depends on what your looking for as I have always been of the opinion that Cabelas is generally 10-15 percent or more over everyone else on many things... web and local prices. But we may not be looking at the same things. In the case of the Ruger BZ-25 (a 10/22 mag) it is/was ~21 dollars at my LGS... on the web I've see 19-24... who has them available right now??? Cabelas. Want some CCI minimags at near double the cost? they got those too. How about CCI large rifle primers? 10 dollars more per 1000. A pound of H4895, 10 dollars more. For a certain brand and model of laser range finder, 400 more than LGS and 500 more than I paid on the e-net. But they have it if you need it NOW... except Winchester 7mm-08 brass :( which is what I was hoping to find last time I went... Started chuckling when I saw the price BX-25 mags... High 30's to low 40's IIRC at the Hammond store. Checking Cabela's web site just now its on sale for 24.99, reg price 41.99... LOL

I go there to see stuff I don't normally see more than to make purchases. For that they are great.

And you never know, you may just find something you have always wanted but have been unable to find... such as a 308 Winchester stealth I pickup up in South Dakota a few years back. I paid 50 dollars shy of new retail on the used gun but no one else could get one at the time, I was and still am a happy camper.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom