• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I got a way to get them as well. I don't even need TV, I'm happier with a book. I only watch TV since the wife will complain "Why don't you spend time with me!?"

It translates to watching TV at the same time, even though we aren't talking.
    Which is SOOOO different from her watching TV and me reading a book, even though we aren't talking.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    hope to be doing the same thing in about a month, only parting with directv. in the process of researching hdtv rabbit ears; our house still has a big antenna, but i have no idea if it would pick up digital signals, and i don't believe there's any coax still attached to it. the only bad thing is i'm on the far southern end of the viewing area for chicago stations, and too far north for indy/lafayette. hoping to get good signals with a quality antenna. i experimented with a cheaper radio shack antenna, but could only barely get a few stations.

Hoosierdaddy where you live at, receiving HDTV signals with the new indoor HD rabbit ear antennas will be a huge horrible experience.

If you live in the near the middle of Newton County it is 67 miles from downtown Chicago and 52 miles from Lafayette.

There are plenty of antennas out there that will to the trick for you, especially since you have flatter terrain up there.

The antenna I have (as stated earlier, the ClearStream 5) will pull in signals at 65+, but I do not know just how far as of right now because I only have it sitting in my sunroom pointing due north and it clearly picks up everything from Indy's antenna farm and also WIPX and WTTV signal from Trafalgar which is 165 degrees to my south, might I also add that there is no direct line of sight because my house blocks it. Heck I was amazed when I channel scanned and picked it up.

I do know that my old Antenna Direct DB-8 antenna used to routinely pull both WNDY's signal out of Windfall and WTTK's signal out of Kokomo (transmitter is now on WXIN's tower in Indy) with no problem when I lived in Mooresville and the distance was 68 miles plus to the transmitter.

So antenna's like the omni directional ClearSteam 5, DB-8, and Channel Master 4228 will pull in some serious signals mounted 25 foot in the air.

If any of you need to ask questions, feel free to ask away, I've been receiving OTA digital for 11 years now, on my second dedicated digital OTA box, that supports 5.1 dolby, not these cheesy digital to analog boxes out there that sell for 49.00.

I'll do my best, and if I can't answer, I can sure enough point you in the right direction.:yesway:

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Might I suggest one of the new Channel Master HDTV DVR's.

It's internet capable and has the ability to digitally record over the air signals.

It is truly a beautiful thing, I plan on getting one here in the near future.

I can't wait for a review of the Channel Master. I considered one of those myself.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    hope to be doing the same thing in about a month, only parting with directv. in the process of researching hdtv rabbit ears; our house still has a big antenna, but i have no idea if it would pick up digital signals, and i don't believe there's any coax still attached to it. the only bad thing is i'm on the far southern end of the viewing area for chicago stations, and too far north for indy/lafayette. hoping to get good signals with a quality antenna. i experimented with a cheaper radio shack antenna, but could only barely get a few stations.

I've actually had better experiences with the old big antennas for HD signals. Remember, since the signal is digital, you either get it or you don't. Personally, I'd try the one you have before investing in something else. The cheaper "HD" antennas are just basic antennas that Best Buy and the like jack up the prices on. To see a real improvement, you'll need something with an amplifier.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    ...The one thing I will miss is the ION channel since they can Pysch and Criminal Minds re-runs but like everything else we will get over it....

-Jedi
    channel 38 out of chicago is an ion station that broadcasts over the air. on direct i can watch the exact same programming on either channel 38 or 305.

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    What Comcast needs is competition. When we had several cable companies to choose from rates were competitive and customer service was better as well. They really tried to retain their customers. Now, not so much.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The one thing I will miss is the ION channel since they can Pysch and Criminal Minds re-runs but like everything else we will get over it.

I think I would die. I actually reserve Saturday nights for the Psych marathon. That show is hilarious (and for sepe: the guy is a cutie). And were it not for ION, I would never know it existed. I don't even know what station aired it originally.

I get ION over the air though. I wonder why you don't. :dunno:

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've actually had better experiences with the old big antennas for HD signals. Remember, since the signal is digital, you either get it or you don't. Personally, I'd try the one you have before investing in something else. The cheaper "HD" antennas are just basic antennas that Best Buy and the like jack up the prices on. To see a real improvement, you'll need something with an amplifier.

You can buy the ClearStream 5 for 74.00 on Amazon and it's a great performing antenna, but it's not a deep fringe one. TX Fool and Antenna Web will let you know just how far you are from all the closest stations and give you a clue as to just what style you will need.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    channel 38 out of chicago is an ion station that broadcasts over the air. on direct i can watch the exact same programming on either channel 38 or 305.

Hum.. I'll have to look into it and see if I can get it. I just set up the box yesterday on the fly to see if it would work.

Jedi,

Even if you drop the basic package, most of the time you will continue to get it with your internet service as long as your tv has a digital tuner built in.

Best,

Joe

But all my TVs are old. They are all still the non-flat screen type & no I have no desire to buy new ones. Frankly I don't want TV all that much. I get all my news from the PC and I don't watch any current shows. If I caught NCIS fine, if I don't oh well. I do enjoy psych since it's on sat nights and we have the TV one while we are on the PCs or doing other stuff at home.

But truth be told I quit watching TV as a regular a long time ago. Actually the last show I watched was Terminator: Sarah Chronicles and I got pissed when they axed it! So after that I vowed F***** the networks/studios. They either put a show and FINISH it or I'm not going to bother with it. So now I wait until the show is done and on DVD before I bother with it.

As you can see it will be a while before I even see a new show and I'm OK with that.

I think I would die. I actually reserve Saturday nights for the Psych marathon. That show is hilarious (and for sepe: the guy is a cutie). And were it not for ION, I would never know it existed. I don't even know what station aired it originally.

I get ION over the air though. I wonder why you don't. :dunno:

Oh now the cop girl is so much better loving! :D

You can buy the ClearStream 5 for 74.00 on Amazon and it's a great performing antenna, but it's not a deep fringe one. TX Fool and Antenna Web will let you know just how far you are from all the closest stations and give you a clue as to just what style you will need.

Well let me see if this current antenna can get ION. If it does then I'm all set. If not then maybe down the road (not likely) I'll get it.

-Jedi

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    JACKPOT!!!!

38.1 is ION!!!
    38.3 is IONLife
    38.2 is qubo (kids cartoon network)

Looks like I am set. I wonder why the auto-scan did not get them. Hum.. Looks like I need to look the website Antenna Web some more and see what other channels I might be "missing" per say.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Gced_Z_KU[/ame]

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

-Jedi

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well let me see if this current antenna can get ION. If it does then I'm all set. If not then maybe down the road (not likely) I'll get it.

-Jedi

Check TV-Fool and make sure your antenna is facing the correct compass heading, this is the biggest problem people have, improperly positioned.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Check TV-Fool and make sure your antenna is facing the correct compass heading, this is the biggest problem people have, improperly positioned.

Thanks sadly I won't be able to change the direction of the antenna as it's a huge one INSIDE the attic. It takes up the entire attic space. Looks like whomever built the house put the antenna in before they added the roof.

Top Bottom