snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Yes, useless rant below:

Question of the day - who is lying, the insurance company or the medical equipment provider?

I have been using a c-pap machine since 1999. In August of 2009 my original machine died. I went through the usual hoops with the insurance company and the local medical equipment provider and got a new one. I clarified beforehand that my only cost would be the $83.78 (adjusted) deductible.

However, the claim was processed as a "lease to purchase". Thus I ended up paying an $83.78 deductible each month for the 6 months it was rented. Obviously I was a little miffed but caved and paid.

Fast forward two years and I received a bill from the medical equipment provider for four months (Feb-May 2010) of co-pays, less discount, or a total of just under $350.00.

Now the only reason I have to pay what amounts to almost $850 in co-pays instead of a single co-pay of $83.78 is because it was processed as a "lease to purchase" and not a one time straight purchase. Irritated am I.

I call the medical equipment provider who tells me they process the claim as they are told by the insurance company. They stated they ask the insurance provider if it is a purchase, lease to purchase or an ongoing rental and bill accordingly.

I call the insurance company who tells me they tell the medical equipment provider what the coverage is, in this case $100.00 co-pay, but do not direct whether it is a purchase, lease to purchase or an ongoing rental.

I am beginning to believe the insurance company’s version as with either scenario, their cost is about the same, whereas if leased to purchase, the income to the medical equipment provider is almost doubled.

Let's not even start on the fact I received a bill for claims over 2 years old.

MedicMonty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Best plan: Call the insurance company or the provider. Ask for and write down his/her name. Then ask that person to three-way-call the other entity. Do the same thing with the person that answers.

There are service providers that bill insurance companies on behalf of patients in which this is standard practice. If there is ever a question, the provider's rep says, "hang on, let me call your insurance company and we'll all three discuss this together." Works like a charm and nothing beats it in terms of avoiding runaround.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Best plan: Call the insurance company or the provider. Ask for and write down his/her name. Then ask that person to three-way-call the other entity. Do the same thing with the person that answers.

There are service providers that bill insurance companies on behalf of patients in which this is standard practice. If there is ever a question, the provider's rep says, "hang on, let me call your insurance company and we'll all three discuss this together." Works like a charm and nothing beats it in terms of avoiding runaround.

This sounds like a good idea, great advice.

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Greenwood
    Capp

I have been down this same road and it's a scam these people play. I refused to give up the money and ignored their scam. Insurance company and medical people are in on the entire deal.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Well, to be fair I did hear from the Ins. Co. They agreed the language in my policy was vague enough that no matter who made the lease versus purchase decision, I should have only had one co-pay.

So a refund from 2009-2012 of roughly $825 is on the way. Now, do I buy an R1 1911 or finish my sbr AK & Cowboy Assault Rifle projects? :D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Well, to be fair I did hear from the Ins. Co. They agreed the language in my policy was vague enough that no matter who made the lease versus purchase decision, I should have only had one co-pay.

So a refund from 2009-2012 of roughly $825 is on the way. Now, do I buy an R1 1911 or finish my sbr AK & Cowboy Assault Rifle projects? :D

Buy something from me, I am tired of buying from you.....ok..not really

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

Good for you...............I'm fortunate my Dr, RT, Provider, and the go betweens with them and insurance has made my life easy in regards to a CPAP.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom