• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    The wife and I enjoy primitive camping, and not camping in a crowded campground, like state parks and reservoirs. We've decided to take the long Memorial Day weekend and set up camp away from the race crowds. I've been told of this camp area, and that it's seldom used since there's no water, electricity, or showers/bathroom facilities available. We're pretty much self-contained, so the "lack" of amenities doesn't bother us any.

Anyone heard and or been to Buzzard's Roost lookout area? It's NE of Tell City, right by a little town called Magnet, and south of English.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    we have camped at buzzard's roost before. it was an off-season time of year if i remember right. it was us and maybe one or two other small groups there. there is a short trail there that takes you down to a nice spot on the ohio. if it is wet out while you are there, there are some picturesque little waterfalls on that trail.

there are a limited number of sites there, and a few sit away from the others a bit but aren't super secluded by my standards. definitely a nice, clean little camping area though i haven't been there during a peak time.

if you are willing to hop in the car and venture away from the site during the day to take a short hike (1.5 mile +/-) and explore a little i recommend hemlock cliffs. beware of ticks - they are bad at hemlock cliffs. hemlock cliffs is a good place to check out some rare wildflowers.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hemlock Cliffs is a really cool place to go... Feels like you're driving forever to get there, though. It's worth it.

Also plenty of fossil hunting to be had at the English/Sulfer exit. Lots of bryozoans, corals, and blastoids. :-)

But, alas, I've never been to the campground you're talking about, so I can't add to that part. Lo siento, amigo.

-J-

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    De nada, compadre. My grand dad's property in Parke county was a goldmine for small fossils like that. There are even footprints of one of the large herbivore dinosaurs in the creek bed. Had National Geographic writers and photogs out there taking pictures of them and exploring the area back when he was still alive. I've had an interest in things like that since. If we go, we'll make time to get up there to see.
    we have camped at buzzard's roost before. it was an off-season time of year if i remember right. it was us and maybe one or two other small groups there. there is a short trail there that takes you down to a nice spot on the ohio. if it is wet out while you are there, there are some picturesque little waterfalls on that trail.

there are a limited number of sites there, and a few sit away from the others a bit but aren't super secluded by my standards. definitely a nice, clean little camping area though i haven't been there during a peak time.

How big is the open camping area? Will an outfitter sized tent or two or three fit there? If you were there off season, and still had others camping at the site as well, would this be a site we might want to avoid Memorial Day weekend? The trail down to the Ohio was one of the things I liked about the site.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    i'd wager to say there is room for large tents in most of the sites. as for the memorial day crowds, i couldn't even guess. i would describe that campground as somewhat isolated from 'things to do' as you would need to drive from there to get to anything aside from the one trail that i know of on site. take a look at any maps you can find of the area to be sure of what improved areas of the forest are nearby - that is, marked hiking trails, points of interest, and such. if you don't have one, i would recommend picking up one of those big fold-out national geographic maps of the hoosier national forest. it has proven very useful to us for finding off the beaten path things to do down that way.

for what it's worth, what i've heard in the past is that the only time that campground is packed is during deer season. again, only hearsay. any way you slice it, it is still a good campground - especially for just kicking back and relaxing around the campsite.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    De nada, compadre. My grand dad's property in Parke county...footprints of one of the large herbivore dinosaurs in the creek bed. Had National Geographic writers and photogs out there taking pictures of them...

[geology nerd] I hate to burst your bubble, but there aren't any rocks that young in Parke County, or anywhere in Indiana for that matter. The rocks in that region are generally Devonian, Mississippian, and Pennsylvanian in age...roughly 410 to 290 million years old*

The dinosaur period is, generally, late Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretacous periods, or from 70 to 250 million years ago. [\geology nerd]

*I personally have an "issue" with isotope dating and am largely skeptical of an earth/solar system that is billions of years old. But that's me.

-J-

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    [geology nerd] I hate to burst your bubble, but there aren't any rocks that young in Parke County, or anywhere in Indiana for that matter. The rocks in that region are generally Devonian, Mississippian, and Pennsylvanian in age...roughly 410 to 290 million years old*

The dinosaur period is, generally, late Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretacous periods, or from 70 to 250 million years ago. [geology nerd]

*I personally have an "issue" with isotope dating and am largely skeptical of an earth/solar system that is billions of years old. But that's me.

-J-

I'll ask the family if they still have copies of the NG photos.

Going OT here (but hey, I started the thread) what issue do you have with radiological dating, and how can you have an issue with billions of years, if you are OK with millions of years?

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I used to spend just about every weekend camping at the "Roost" when I was in high school. You should be ok setting up a big tent. Not sure about how crowded it will be. There are only 5 campsites. In Alton (the next town upriver), there is a boat ramp and bait shop that sells ice (At least they did last year). The next town downriver is Magnet and there is a bar/grill that has some pretty decent food. There is also a campground with primitive and electric sites over at Lake Indian/Celina/Tipsaw/Saddle. Those are some real nice campgrounds and aren't usually too crowded. We're going to be camping about 20 miles east of the Roost this weekend. I gotta have my electricity so the Roost is out.

Top Bottom