• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I need/want a smallish sectional couch. I don't really want to pay close to $1000 for it. It doesn't help that I let a brand new one go had a sticker price of only $400. And it was EXACTLY what I want. :ugh: So I've been considering buying used.

Except that I have an aversion to purchasing fabric/upholstered items that can't be laundered in hot water in a washing machine. Unless I knew the previous owners and how they lived. And by aversion I mean, nearly and OCD-like complex about it.

Who's bought used couches/chairs before from strangers? Did you sanitize? How so? Should I just wait and save up for the NIB model?

Thanks.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I wouldn't buy used furniture unless it was from a friend. That crap weirds me out too.

You could probably buy/rent a streamer to clean it, but who knows what was spilled/unloaded onto that sectional that soaked into the foam cushions.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    There's no way I'd bring someone else's furniture into my home. We're talking bed bugs, roaches and other criters, other people smell, germ and coodies.
    If you really want to be safe you have to soak it in gasoline and burn it completely. Only then will it be completely safe.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you get a couch made of leather it's easy to clean and it will be like brand new once you washed it.
    You can also find couches made of fabric where you can remove and wash the cushions covers in your washing machine.

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Used furniture is a no go for me, unless it was from somone I knew really well.
    Had a friend by a used couch, he steam cleaned it and all the other good stuff he was obsessive about cleanliness. After about 2 months he noticed cockroaches in his house, had an exterminator come out and spray. Couple months later roaches were back, so I asked him if he looked inside the couch, we cut the bottom open and guess what we found, a roach breeding ground. So no buy new

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    wife and I are in the same boat...... and... we were thinking of the Restore stores.... but... bedbugs, roaches.. .ew seriously, so gross...

No thanks.

:/ We'll be sitting on boxes for a while methinks.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Have you ever seen a vehicle going down the interstate, a city street or dusty county road pulling an open trailer with bedding and other furniture, including a couch or chair? Wonder how clean that is. I wouldn't touch used furniture.

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    In my case it would have to be family (and only certain people). I did watch my brother take a recliner off the curb. That being said ive bought most of my furniture new since i can afford it. I do understand nnot having/wanting to shell out the cash.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Stainless Steel FTW.

Hollow-Stainless-Steel-Sofa.jpg

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    We bought from a friend of ours. We know them, they are very very very very very very very clean folks. They cut us a great deal, but I still cleaned the holy heck out of it. As far as stranger? Go to Craigslist, everyone on there is legit, right?

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    In college ALL of my furniture was used sometimes 3-4 times used including beds, I am still alive and olny have a small amount of cooties.

Dorian Gray

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    I agree you never know what could have happened on or near used furniture. If you must buy, bring a blacklight!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Used furniture is like..(I just threw up in my mouth a little)...sleeping with a buddies ex. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

Used furniture and sleeping with a buddy's ex...I'm down with both as I've previously had crabs from both. It isn't that bad.

Top Bottom