• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How much do you have to save to buy a used firearm over a new one?

• Total voters

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Totally situation dependent. Depends on the condition of the gun, and my desire to own one. I generally won't buy any gun unless the price jumps out and says "buy me now!" I have bought new guns for 25% below retail, so that wouldn't be much savings for a used gun.
    I picked up a used 870 Express magnum for 150 bucks in excellent condition. They generally go for 350+ new. That's a savings of nearly 60%, but it wasn't something I was dying to buy.
    I also bought a used XD40 service for $350, a savings of about $125 over retail, or a little over 25%, but it was a gun that I wanted a little more.
    The last new gun that I bought was a S&W 327PC for $880, which retails for $1264, a savings of about 30%.
    Patience is the name of the game. I wait until the price is what I want to pay, or make an offer for what I want to pay. The buyer always sets the price.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    There is nothing wrong with buying a used gun, Just like cars they need to be broke in, if someone else runs a few hundered rounds thru it before I get it, It just saves me the money in ammo too.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    All but one of my rifles (Saiga) are either used or milsurp. On the milsurps, you can't beat the history of a used one. I actually like used but good condition milsurps over unissued pieces. Plus, military rifles tend to be so robust that they dont really break very often. My others were handed down to me from my gpa and hold a special place in my collection for that reason.

I have not really purchased a "used" gun in the same sense that we are talking about here, but if it is a model that I am looking for and cannot be found new at a reasonable price, I will gladly buy used as long as the seller is a quality person. For me its not so much savings but is finding what I am looking for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Tech Tip: Always ask the seller why he is selling? A lot of used guns get sold because something is wrong with them. It's not like they would tell you anyway, though! Just use caution and get someone who is mechanically inclined to look at it first. I am, so I don't have to worry about it. My dad on the other hand is a different story! Hey dad, go get that left hand screwdriver! Where is it? It's in one of the three big rollaways...................:dunno:I can't find it? :): Sorry dad, I still love you anyway!:D :patriot:

Last edited:

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Used has been good for me!

Hi All,
    Of the dozens of weapons I own/owned, I've only purchased new once. Only new-b is my cc pistol. All have functioned flawlessly. I like it that I don't bother with the break-in period. You can usually tell how it's cared. I ask questions...why is it being sold, how long has it been owned, # of rounds, problems. If they look me in the eye with straight answers, I can live with the results. Good luck!

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    Most of my guns were used when I got them. I have probably only bought 8 to 10 new guns in my life Those were guns that I really wanted All of the others were guns that I found that I like and thought the price was good. And I agree it all depends on the gun. seems like now more than ever the used ones I find are not much of a savings from new!

Sport69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Portage, IN
    Most of my guns purchased have been used in like new condition. People buy them and find that they don't like them then they end up on the shelf at the local gun store for about $100-150 less that new! Some never even shot!!!

MarkR

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indianapolis - West Side
    10 - 20% for me too, and I often Prefer used. Reasons have already been stated:
    No Sales Tax
    Often very little wear - seldom fired
    If local and a private seller = no paperwork. Read into that whatever you like
    Used is often as good, and sometimes better than new!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I don't have a problem with buying used I was just curious of other opinions.

But for me to buy a used gun I have to save at least 20% otherwise for less than 20% I'll just order a new one.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Discounting milsurps, I've bought very few used guns.

I am very picky with guns and I'd say 95% of my firearms I bought new.

Taking away if I buy from a friend who bought it new, it must be 98% or better. I also won't even consider it unless it is at least 25% less than it's NIB counterpart as well.

I am very picky. I never understood the guy who would buy a used XYZ for 475 when he could buy a new one for 500. Sorry the 25 bucks and sales tax does nothing for me. I'll skip a few beers or frappacinos and scrape up the extra cash.

IMO guns are like cars once they get driven, they automatically get a 25% hit. Even if it's "one mag".

IMO "being hard to find" (but still in production) does not justify spending as much on a used vs a new. I'll wait. But thats just me.

kgeb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Lake County
    Avoid Cabellas they mark used guns up 20-30% over the price of new ones, O.K. not really but they are nuts about used gun prices

Top Bottom