• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Understand its pretty hard to find, probably coming a little late, but does anyone know where one can purchase silver? Ive never thought about it before and know nothing about it but am interested in getting into it.

Edit: not as hard to obtain as i thought after a little searching, so where should I go to buy?

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Hard to find? No, not really. What are you looking for? Ingots, rounds, coins? What size?

Try the Lost Dutchman Rare Coins, an INGO sponcer. I have bought from them several times and highly recommend them.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    Two places I have purchased junk silver from.
    Online - Apmex.com
    Silver, Silver Bar, Silver Bars, Silver Bullion, Gold and More - APMEX.com

local storefront (well local for me.)
    louisvillenumismatic.com | | louisvillenumismatic.com

Recommend either. Very happy with both places. One note of caution. Apmex does not accept the ACH type of wire transfers. If you go with them and want to pay by wire transfer, ask your bank first. Was a big headache the first time I placed an order. But they worked with me and I got things straightened out with an alternate payment method.

Herstal

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Make certain you are buying bullion silver, not numisatic coins. Those are coins that are of value to collectors beyond the value of the precious metal they contain. That's all well and good if you want to be a coin collector, but for purposes of survival trade the only value is their weight in troy ounces. A lot of places will try and scalp you when buying metals, especially places that advertise heavily. Never buy from them.

You can also check the spot silver price, kitco or this tracks it pretty well:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=slv

Make sure you aren't paying subtantially above spot. I've purchased from NWTMint.com several times. If you buy in bulk (50+oz) you get a better deal, but they sit on the fiat currency for several weeks before shipping.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I think a little silver is a good thing to have. I remember reading that after the Civil War many of the homes in the south were confiscated for back taxes. Those who hid their silver during the war were able to pay and some did with other valuables too, but many lost their homes. I could see this happening in SHTF scenario after everything settles down and some form of government returns. Likely they won't accept paper money that will be virtually worthless, but silver and gold would probably be accepted.
    Of course, that's all speculation as no one knows what would happen in that scenario but just something to think about. Just my :twocents:

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I've done business with Lost Dutchman Rare Coins. They're honest people and an INGO advertiser. They sell a lot of "junk coins" just for the silver value. Don't let the work "junk" worry you, it just means they're not considered collector grade coins. They also have ingots, rounds, bars, etc.

Lost Dutchman Rare Coins - INGunOwners

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought mine silver from apmex.com and I also only buy bullion. Bar or round really doesn't matter. I've found the price difference between 1oz bars and the larger weighted bars don't have much difference in price. For me I want smaller increments to trade with as it's hard to make change out of silver bars.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't let the work "junk" worry you, it just means they're not considered collector grade coins. They also have ingots, rounds, bars, etc.

Lost Dutchman Rare Coins - INGunOwners

+1 I have always been fond of the 90%....

The key is finding a reputable dealer that you trust. I am fortunately here in Ft. Wayne because we have (2) I really like and trust. Go to your dealer and ask what he has he can give the best deal on. Remember, things often change for no apparent reason. One day the dealer might of just taken in some " junk 90% silver " and would be willing to let it go for just a little over " melt " while he might be asking significantly more than " spot " for the bullion. I don't think you can go wrong with either 90% or bullion as long as you get it at a fair price. Typically when I go in, I go in open minded and walk out with either, all depending on what the dealer can offer the best buy on at that particular day.

The one buy I would rarely recommend are the American Eagles WHEN they have a huge premium. Through the years, few of them have retained that premium like the 1996 has... Now, if you go in and they have a few rolls of another year and are willing to sell for just over spot, I wouldn't hesitate to grab them...

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Silver towne in Winchester In. Is very fair to deal with.
    :twocents:

That is where I have bought my silver bars. They have free shipping but to Indiana residents they have to charge tax. It's still cheaper than some other places I've seen that want to charge $10 to ship a 1 ozt bar. If anyone knows of a cheaper place I'd love to know about it. Ebay worries me after seeing videos of Ebay bought bars that are silver plated zink made in China.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Understand its pretty hard to find, probably coming a little late, but does anyone know where one can purchase silver? Ive never thought about it before and know nothing about it but am interested in getting into it.

Edit: not as hard to obtain as i thought after a little searching, so where should I go to buy?

DieselMan, I was in B-Town for several years. I bought tons of junk silver from that second hand shop in the mall and at the tenth street strip mall, over by the (really old reference now!) Peterson's and 7-11, it might be a Village Pantry now... the wifey says it's Vintage Boutique???

The good thing about this is that the lady does not update her coin prices very often, and I was getting numi's for under spot! Lots of good card-boarded collectible coins for junk prices. I bought most of mine @ $16/oz,
    I miss that place, but I cannot drive over there very often. I'm in TH now.

Good Luck, and there is also Olde Towne Coin in Ellettsville, but they are higher and kind of off the beaten path if you split time in Indy. Great Selection there, though. FANTASTIC!!! I think ASE's are now $5 over spot, but there is absolutely NO PAPER TRAIL. But if you want to sell, they pay well under spot:(

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    more info from a seasoned Silver Buyer

+1 I have always been fond of the 90%....

The key is finding a reputable dealer that you trust. I am fortunately here in Ft. Wayne because we have (2) I really like and trust. Go to your dealer and ask what he has he can give the best deal on. Remember, things often change for no apparent reason. One day the dealer might of just taken in some " junk 90% silver " and would be willing to let it go for just a little over " melt " while he might be asking significantly more than " spot " for the bullion. I don't think you can go wrong with either 90% or bullion as long as you get it at a fair price. Typically when I go in, I go in open minded and walk out with either, all depending on what the dealer can offer the best buy on at that particular day.

The one buy I would rarely recommend are the American Eagles WHEN they have a huge premium. Through the years, few of them have retained that premium like the 1996 has... Now, if you go in and they have a few rolls of another year and are willing to sell for just over spot, I wouldn't hesitate to grab them...

The only time I find good deals on ASE (Eagles) is when I get damaged ones (bought about 15 that a scorned woman scratched up) or at the smaller coin/antique/flea market type stores. The offbeat stores do not add the premiums like the coin shops do. Best values are always the "junk" and the really cool stuff is FREE! I scour the internet ads and I have scored a Roosevelt Dime (1964, MINT condition, Beautiful!) for signing up for the outfit's snail mail package, and submitting my phone number LOL!
    But the REALLY BIG SCORE was a FREE EAGLE for the same thing, but I had to ASK for the Eagle when I called in. That was this summer.

The free "rosey" (dime) was from AustinCoins.com
    Austin rare coins and Bullion. They do 401K rollovers to PM accounts too.

the FREE EAGLE was obtained from US MONEY Reserve. They sell the proof sets that carry a hefty premium right out of the box, :n00b::n00b::alcoholic:
    in Silver and Gold, hence the pricey freebies :D

Just thought I'd add some things, I've spent many, many hours on PM's and
    have a pretty good handle on what the markets should do. Silver could very well
    be up to $175 an ounce RIGHT NOW if the reserve ratios dictated price.
    Mining Ratios dictate an 8.8 to 1 GSR, which is even better. When Silver and Gold start rising steadily again, (like they did THIS WEEK!) Look for
    SILVER to outpace Gold at least by a 2:1 ratio. Current price ratio is over 50:1
    and that does not reflect the reality of the situation in ANY way. For a coming
    SHTF event, silver bought now at these prices will be better than the amount
    one could buy in Gold. Much Better. I have seen my position Triple (it's now Double)
    but it will certainly rise at a much faster pace than Gold. It gained nearly Double
    in the percentage gains for the day, today.

:twocents:

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    You can get a good deal from the Northwest Territorial Mint, if you don't mind buying in bulk (at least 50oz) and waiting a few months for you order to arrive.

Stagecoach Silver Bullion from Northwest Territorial Mint

I find it easier to go in with a buddy or two on those kinds of orders, as long as they can be patient for the goods to ship.

Bought there once. FAST SHIPPING lol
    But it was like only an $800 order, in stock stuff.
    Just call and/or email and makes sure it's in stock.

I like the looks of that Stagecoach Divisible Round, low premiums, but my new FAVORITE PLACE
    is Quality Silver Bullion, and they have great buy back prices (my son sold some, NOT ME!!!)
    They have the Panner Divisible Rounds. FAST Shipping, ask Jim if it is in stock and it likely is!
    Their 1/10 ounce, and Half Ounce rounds look like the ASE's and the quality is extremely nice!

I also bought from Goldline, but I do not recommend them. They tried to buy back my stack at prices
    like you would get at the mall gold buyers :mad: I told them I was still buying! They hoped I was a
    "weak hand" and needed to get out, I guess. Bad Business Practice :(

Last edited:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    apmex.com

as others said, buy bullion, not coins. coins have a collectable value that exceeds its value as actual material. maybe others do, but i dont go for collectibles.

Top Bottom