Buying my first AR....decisions, decisions....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    I have recently been converted, (thanks to a few of my buddies) from my long time use of 7.62 caliber rifles to shopping for my first AR. Now, which one do I buy? Like anyone else, I want the most bang for my buck. Literally!
    I hear so many different opinions on all of them,I don't know which way to go. What I do know is that I want a 16 in. barrel on an A3. Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions, opinions, pros, cons, or whatever info. I can get. Thanks!

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Man Just do some shopping around. There are great deals to be had and always remeber almost everything no wait everything on the AR platform is upgradable. So get the best you can for your money and one that fits your needs now as the gun can change with you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Check the 5 most recent pages of the Long Guns section at all the topics related to ARs. That should start you in the right direction.

Krazny13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Bravo Company makes some top notch parts. Snag a lower and an Upper from them, slap on an optic of your choice in a LaRue Tactical mount, and you're good to go.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I have recently been converted, (thanks to a few of my buddies) from my long time use of 7.62 caliber rifles to shopping for my first AR. Now, which one do I buy? Like anyone else, I want the most bang for my buck. Literally!
    I hear so many different opinions on all of them,I don't know which way to go. What I do know is that I want a 16 in. barrel on an A3. Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions, opinions, pros, cons, or whatever info. I can get. Thanks!

buy once, cry once. colt 6920 is the gold standard (for m4 type rifles). BCM makes a good rifle, as does LMT and Noveske. KAC makes a good, though expensive, gun. S&W rifles are really nice, too.

plenty of good guns out there....what do you want to do with it? if youre going to run it hard, you'd prolly be better to get a combat rifle (ie Colt, BCM, etc). if youre like me and a casual plinker, most any brand will work. i wanted the pony, so i bought the Colt 6920. ;)

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Got this from another site FWIW, a comparison for M4 carbines.

M4 CHART

I have a Bushy and I am pretty happy with it. I'm wanting to buy a second one, but have not decided on one yet, but I am leaning towards a SW M&P 15

jamisan01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Rochester, In
    I guess , I'm wanting more of a SHTF weapon, but I'm gonna shoot it a lot prior. So maybe it needs to be something of higher grade than the standard ads that you see so often these days.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    yeah, the Sig is probably out of my price range. I'm looking more in the RRA, DPMS, and Bushmaster category.

out of those I'd pick the RRA anyday. Look into Stag also, they make some high quality stuff that won't break the bank.

just my :twocents:

This is going to spark a lot on personal preference

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    It is tough to decide for the first AR15. I have owned Bushmaster, Stag, and DPMS.

All reasonably priced and quite functionable.

I do like the looks and price of the new Stag Arms and CMMG piston rifles and uppers. I like piston guns, my preference and opinion.

There is also DoubleStar, Model 1, Rock River Arms, LMT, LWRC, and Ruger, to mention a few.

You could try doing a little research and window shop on GunBroker.com or the Equipment Exchange on AR15.Com. There are many brands and prices.

Good luck and have fun shopping.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I guess , I'm wanting more of a SHTF weapon, but I'm gonna shoot it a lot prior. So maybe it needs to be something of higher grade than the standard ads that you see so often these days.

with BCM you can get a rifle for about $1k +/-. Colt 6920's can be had for about $1100 + FFL fee from internet dealers. dont be like me; just cry once.

oh and i should note: if you need your gun to look 100% beautiful when you open the box, dont buy a Colt. they arent as concerned with fit/finish and it pisses people off over at ARF.com. frankly, a few machine marks doesnt bother me as long as everything functions. ymmv.

Top Bottom