• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I would much rather by from local shop vs a chain, but for me price is part of the picture. Recently wanted a 92FS but just could not chock down the $650 price tag at a local shop. Great guys to discuss things with, but they were not willing to work on the price. Two weeks later I found did buy from smaller shop, but just wan't near me. Saved $100.

Really hate buying anything from Wally World, but sometimes they have ammo prices as much as 15% lower than small shops. If I am am only looking to buy 100 rounds I might go small with the lower price. But if I want 1000 rounds, I am going where it is cheapest.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Being I already am aware of the quality of the product I am buying for me it comes down to strictly price. I am retired without unlimited funds so that is the way it has to be.
    Same with me, though I`m almost retired, it still comes down to price. I can`t play the "a little higher price because i`m local ", bull. I have to think about what I can aford.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Same with me, though I`m almost retired, it still comes down to price. I can`t play the "a little higher price because i`m local ", bull. I have to think about what I can aford.
    Ok, maybe I`m not clear. I have never bought a gun "on line". When I speak of buying other than local, I`m mean in another city. Like buying in Booneville or Mt. Vernon as apposed to E-ville.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Before RTBA in Haubstadt & Meeks in Ft. Branch, bought Internet only, now LGS only. Didn't really know about Buck's & Jakes @ that time. Ammo mostly online, but plan on Profire soon, waiting on SBR paperwork, & budgeting a bit, but 9mm 147gr will be mine, yes it will. Accessories, if LGS is reasonable, have them order it. My DPMS taper pins & Spikes Magwell should be in this week.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    , but since money is slightly tight, the situation has me a little torn.

So I'm asking, how much is too much?

And there's the problem isnt it? Its easy to say "buy local" but at the end of the day its all about cost and how much cash you have in hand.

Just remember, big box stores are local too. Who do you think works at Cabelas, Bass Pro and Walmart? Local members of the community.

That said, if you believe in mom and pop OWNED, buy the gun from the big shop and get your ammo, accesories at the indie shop. Youll always need ammo, so thats more of a steady stream of income to the shop owner.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I haven't bought any guns from either a local or larger store, but I buy my ammo from my local gun shop. The guy doesn't hassle me about what the ammo is for, and he usually give me a discount every so often. I've even got a box or two a few dollars cheaper when I'm low on cash.
    ...starting to feel bad with how often I short-change the guy...

jasonville43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Jasonville, Indiana
    I try to buy local if the price isn't much higher. Ammo is about the only thing I buy online anymore.
    Totally agree, I have bought all my firearms from a couple different LGS but all my ammo has been purchased online. The best price I could get for 1000 rounds locally was $55 more than I can get online (including shipping). Well gotta be honest.... I will hit Walmart if I only want to buy a single box of ammo to try, but I bet a lot of us do this!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Totally agree, I have bought all my firearms from a couple different LGS but all my ammo has been purchased online. The best price I could get for 1000 rounds locally was $55 more than I can get online (including shipping). Well gotta be honest.... I will hit Walmart if I only want to buy a single box of ammo to try, but I bet a lot of us do this!

Completely agree on the price of ammo. All LGS in my area carry decent 45 ammo for about .39cents/round (prince does not include tax). I would always offer to buy more if they would give me a break on the price but majority of them refuse and some of them would even try to say that you can no longer buy ammo in bulk online.... Why would I pay .39cents/round if I can buy online for about .32cents/round shipped? If you order 1000 rounds that 7 cent difference adds up quick.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    Buying local

As stated in so many posts, If I can not hold it, look someone in the eyes when buying it, know there is knowledge behind the answers to my questions...I ain't buying. If you do a bit of investigating and research you can get close to on line prices if you figure in the shipping and other things involved. There is also what I consider a convenience charge. You get to take it home right then and there. You know it works and is un-blemished. If you get shipped a Turd, well, you are re-shipping a turd.
    I will pay what I feel is fair and it is usually 10/15% and will never buy a gun from the big Wally. JMHO

I agree 100%. I like to hold a gun and whenever possible find an example I can shoot before making a purchase. Nothing worse than getting a new gun and finding out it not at all what you want.

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    All I have ever bought on-line was a crimp die when none of the locals I knew of had them. Since then all pistols and rifles are locally purchased, ammo is hand loaded.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I agree 100%. I like to hold a gun and whenever possible find an example I can shoot before making a purchase. Nothing worse than getting a new gun and finding out it not at all what you want.
    No problem for me - I've never got a gun I didn't want:) OOPs, I did one time about 20 years ago - a Jap rifle from a LGS. He said he thought the bore was ok, just real dirty, (couldn't tell it was 1/2 full of junk) I cleaned it and found it didn't have a "bore", took it back and traded for a Win shotgun.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Best to do like Ferfal describes......build a reputation with at least a couple of local gunshops. You'll be glad you did after the internet is dead and gone for good. Good luck building a rapport when you're just one of the hundreds or thousands of desperate Joes looking for help with their firearms needs in troubled times.

I shop at Falls Cities Guns in Clarksville, Orion's also in Clarksville and Hi-tek in Sellersburg.

Top Bottom