• ...and so much more!
  • K9Bass

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    NWI
    Hello All!!

Well as the title suggest, I'm curious as to everyone's input on the subject. First of all, personally I believe in buying local. I've worked in ma and pop shops ever since I was in high school, one a grocery shop and two a car shop. Not to mention I have family (uncles) that own small shops and cater to their community.

I understand that buying local you are going to pay a little more; for the service more then anything. However, my question would be how much more is it worth to pay before going to say a bigger company store chain? Is there a line?

Recently I've been gun shopping, and I've found exactly what I want in two stores, one local and one in a big store chain. difference is considerable that i could buy a few extras (sling, ammo, etc). Normally I would just go local, reasons for as stated above, but since money is slightly tight, the situation has me a little torn.

So I'm asking, how much is too much?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I try to buy local when ever possible too.

As a rule I buy all my guns from gun shops. I would rather pay a bit more and have an awesome group of guys, Like the Bradis crew, willing to help me out if i have any questions or need any help.

Have you ever asked the clerk at Walmart a question about the gun you just bought? If so how clear was the answer if they even attempted to answer?

Its all about after sale service to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So far, my rule has been: "I don't buy a gun I can't hold in my hands." Can't say that will always be the case, but it has been so far and I would need a good reason to change it.

As for chain vs. "locally owned", I usually stay away from the chains, but that's usually a selection and price issue. Local people are working at the chain stores and they have to make a living too. I have a Bass Pro about 15 minutes from my house and I've not bought a gun there, but I have bought ammo there (last night, in fact). I've also bought ammo at WalMart. If a chain had the gun I wanted at the price I wanted, I'd probably take a real hard look at buying there. Other than a Marlin 60 and a NEF .410 both bought 20 years ago at a K Mart (still have both), I've bought from "locally owned".

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    Local vs. Chain

As far as gun stores vs. the chain stores, the local wins hands down - I will pay a little bit more to avoid the grief of the big store. I recently bought a cheap firearm (app. $200) at a large chain sporting goods store, and the procedure to get me from the gun department to the parking lot was tedious and one I do not plan to repeat.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    When we had a LGS in town, I went there at least once a week, just to see what he had and shoot the Sh--. Always bought something - at least a 1000 primers or powder. Bought a gun or two there, ammo and accessories. After he went out of business, I made most of my ammo and accessory purchases online, or at Gun shows. Several guns from individuals and at shows. Buy C&R guns online now, odds and ends at shows. Will buy local if in a hurry or price isn't over 10% higher - only place in town to purchase any ammo etc., is Wally world and Rural King. (Prefer Rural King)

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I`m sorry, but with money that I have worked hard to get, I will buy wherever has the best prices. The ma and pa stores are there to make money, they are looking out for themselves. I`m looking to save a little.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I`m sorry, but with money that I have worked hard to get, I will buy wherever has the best prices. The ma and pa stores are there to make money, they are looking out for themselves. I`m looking to save a little.

I've found if you give ma and pa a chance to compete, they'll at least try to play ball.

My lgs usually tosses in a box or two of ammo to help if his price is a bit high. Just gotta let him know what he's up against to win your business...

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County

I agree. I don't owe local gun shops anything. Same as they don't owe me anything. I tried the buy local thing and it came back to haunt me once. Never again will I buy anything from that place again.

I hate to say it but some gun shops are no different than a dealership trying to sell cars. They pray on the uneducated.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    LGS for me. They can usually get near or match the chains if I find a big difference in prices. CHains seem to come and go with the tides. Fold up shop and haul in the carpets with regularity, then reopen under a different name and I bet the same owner under some corporate umbrella.
    Gem, Best, and too many big stores came and went here. Moates, and GreenTop have been around since before I could legally drive.
    And on that note, I'd advise you take heed. Some of those corporate entities are so against the 2nd. amendment, either publicly, or maybe just some of the CEO's. I'd rather not give them any money to do that.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I dont have a magic number that im willing to spend at a LGS above what I can purchase the same thing elsewhere. I try to get the most out of my money, whether it comes to grocery shoping or gun shoping. I will pay a little more for convience sometimes, that means buying from a LGS or stoping at the CVS rather than the grocery store.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    My lgs wants $100+ more per gun so ill travel the 30 mins to a better shop. I gave them a chance to compete and they wouldn't budge so I left and haven't been back

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I always shop local because I only pay cash or trade. No credit cards or checks so if I don't have the cash I don't buy it.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Being I already am aware of the quality of the product I am buying for me it comes down to strictly price. I am retired without unlimited funds so that is the way it has to be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As stated in so many posts, If I can not hold it, look someone in the eyes when buying it, know there is knowledge behind the answers to my questions...I ain't buying. If you do a bit of investigating and research you can get close to on line prices if you figure in the shipping and other things involved. There is also what I consider a convenience charge. You get to take it home right then and there. You know it works and is un-blemished. If you get shipped a Turd, well, you are re-shipping a turd.
    I will pay what I feel is fair and it is usually 10/15% and will never buy a gun from the big Wally. JMHO

Top Bottom