• ...and so much more!
  • Nismomo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2014
    West Chicago suburbs
    Hi all,

Im interested in buying land in the northwest part of the state. I'd like to be able to build a small cabin and shooting range. It would also be cool if there was some medium sized game in the area. How do I go about this?

I've researched this a little bit and it looks like you don't need much land to have a range. 4 to 10 acres would be enough but certainly not enough for hunting.

Thanks!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    4-10 acres would be plenty to hunt on given it was in the right location.I hunt a 6 acre woods located in the perfect location and there are plenty of deer there. As for shooting, have a good backstop. Truck in loads of dirt. There are plenty designs to build a range. Couple questions for you;

-Have you ever hunted before?
    -What firearms will be used on your range?

Here's just one site-- Indiana, Farm land, lots, ranches and farms for sale

Also, welcome to INGO.

*Quick search there I found this-- http://www.landandfarm.com/property/66_Acres_on_Sager_Rd-716284/

Water source close by (pond). Wooded lots, fields you can lease to local farmers to keep a good food source and surrounded by more wooded lots/fields.

Last edited:

Nismomo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2014
    West Chicago suburbs
    4-10 acres would be plenty to hunt on given it was in the right location.I hunt a 6 acre woods located in the perfect location and there are plenty of deer there. As for shooting, have a good backstop. Truck in loads of dirt. There are plenty designs to build a range. Couple questions for you;

-Have you ever hunted before?
    -What firearms will be used on your range?

Here's just one site-- Indiana, Farm land, lots, ranches and farms for sale

Also, welcome to INGO.

*Quick search there I found this-- 66 Acres on Sager Rd - Property - LandAndFarm.com - Land for Sale

Water source close by (pond). Wooded lots, fields you can lease to local farmers to keep a good food source and surrounded by more wooded lots/fields.

Thanks for the info. Only hunted with air guns as a kid. I would shoot 9mm, 45, 223, shotgun. I'll check out those sites. What about the laws? Where can you shoot? I'm guessing you can't buy 4 acres next to a development. Even if it was legal everyone would complain about noise and call cops.

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Thanks for the info. Only hunted with air guns as a kid. I would shoot 9mm, 45, 223, shotgun. I'll check out those sites. What about the laws? Where can you shoot? I'm guessing you can't buy 4 acres next to a development. Even if it was legal everyone would complain about noise and call cops.

Not sure, you'll have to check the city limits and see what ordinances are regarding that. If your property is marked rural people can complain all they want but can't do anything. This property is out of city limits so you should be fine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Laws will vary county to county. You want to get as far away from towns/cities as you can.

Noise is only a problem if you are breaking a noise ordinance, which generally would be late or very early.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    Lately there has been an exodus of Illinoisians moving to our area(NWI). Mostly ethnic. It's an interesting migration. They are buying 2-5 acre lots for chicken and sheep. Several have asked what the laws are for shooting. These aren't the prepper type. These are older folks that want to be self sustaining like they were in the mother country.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Why on earth would you buy in NW Indiana over Southern Wisconsin? Both suffer from an influx of FIB's and the corresponding increase in cost per acre. Having lived in both I would look in WI. Jump over kenosha county unless you are a truly rich person that owns horses, and look in western Racine county.

Top Bottom