• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Buying (and selling) guns online can save you both money and time (searching) but becareful of how much you're spending. Take the time to research your purchase and make sure you can't buy it locally or at a gun show for less $$!

A year ago (in December 2008) during the Obama Gun Rush, my wife and I sold several guns on Gunbroker and made money doing it. I checked with my local FFL several times during that month and found that I could replace a gun I was selling with a new gun from him for less $$ than I was getting for the original online.

My local FFL is a friend of mine and, typically, he can get the same gun I want for less than buying it online, paying shipping and a transfer fee...with popular guns that is (Glocks, Rugers, S&W, etc.) When I make a purchase, I search online (+ add in shipping and transfer fees), call my local FFL, and check with at least one other gun shop before I settle on a gun. That way I've made sure that I'm not over spending if I don't have to.

Remember, the true value of a gun is what YOU think it is (your needs vs. your ability to afford it) not the actual price of a gun. Sometimes over spending is justifiable to meet your needs while other times, just make sure you're not getting 'taken' for a sale. Just take the time to evaluate your purchase(s) and you'll be fine...patience is a virtue.

Good luck.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You brought up a good point about the Obama gun rush. There were plenty of guns selling for double on gunbroker.com, but in fairness most local stores couldn't even get them in stock. If he gets a 2nd term, (and I think he will) I plan on buying as many AR's as I can afford and leaving them in the plastic as an investment.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    So am I right? With Gallery of Guns/ Gun Genie, you find the gun you want and they ship it that dealer, or does the dealer have it at their shop already?

The rifle I wanted is listed as "Out of Stock". Figures!

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    If you are going to buy online, my one piece of advice is to get pictures, pictures and more pictures. I have done two recent online purchase that bit me.

One was a NIB gun with nickel finish but had a manufacturer blemish on the top of the slide that was pretty bad and didn't show up in the picture. The sellers never removed the gun from the box to inspect it since they are high volume sellers. The seller was cool about and agreed to replace it but it was weeks of back and forth and extra shipping and other costs, just a hassle more than anything and a slight loss of cash.

The other was a used gun that I purchased based on only two pictures, the left and ride sides of the guns. The seller did mention "slight dings" on parts of the gun but when I got it, I realized the lighting and position of the pictures he posted totally misrepresented what I bought and those dings were much more than "slight".

So be sure there are lots of pictures from different angles and in different lighting conditions before you make a decision. Most sellers are happy to snap a few extra pictures or close ups if you request it.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    I guess I'm lucky in that my gunsmith/FFL holder is a hunting buddy and doesn't charge me for transferring guns for me. But a couple of us just threw the $90 or so FFL certificate renewal fee on his desk last year when it was time for renewal, and we keep the fridge stocked with beer....

I actually have done quite a bit of buying/selling on 24hourcampfire.com. Great group of guys there, actually some good gun writers also. Didn't even know about this site until kup let me know about it! Enjoying it so far!

Top Bottom