• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, I forgot, anything with a "cowboy" vibe to it is a good investment.

Years ago I picked up a couple of lever-action Marlins in oddball calibers that been wonderful investments. This is because of cowboy action shooting and the interest in all things cowboy it has created.

General rule: scarcity=value

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    thanks for the great advice kirk i never would have thought about the glock mags... and checking the pawn shops it pretty much the only thing im activly doing currently in this matter. it has defenulty paid off a few times.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    When you say "as investments," what do you mean by that? Guns provide two different styles of investments.

The first one is investing your money in firearms in hopes to make a financial gain. Past history is a good indicator that guns will likely go up in value, especially with multiple currencies continually being devalued by their backing governments. I have always thought that future pricing will be done based on Earth resources (oil, natural gas, etc.), gold and silver will be used as a store of wealth. Tools and other goods (camping equipment, etc.) will always provide a store of wealth as well. In some cases, these items might cause you to realize a financial gain. The second style of firearms investing is just a way to store your money because you don't want it in a bank, hate that CDs are paying .5% for short term returns, etc..

The downside in investing in guns:
    #1: As someone already said, you could end up with a bunch of banned items. Then you have to either hide them so you don't get caught with them, or turn them in. With almost every ban like this, money is exchanged, but who knows if the government would give you what you paid. I personally do think the government would give top dollar for these items, as I think there are those in government who would think it would be worth paying out lots of money to get rid of many of these items as possible.
    #2: New models come out, your older generation becomes worth less. All one has to do is look at Glock and their generations. Then look at the XD, which seems to have taken a backseat to the XDm. If new models come out, you lose your money.
    #3: Safety. Your money is actually safer paid onto your mortgage and/or in a bank. Even if the bank is robbed or closed due to fraud, you still have your paper money, worthless that you may think it is. If your guns are stolen, they are gone. Unless you insure them, which you should, you don't get the money back. The one big problem with this is that new laws could come up which causes the guns you once had to be very hard to find, if not outright impossible to find.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Glock mags are decent investment. You can get 3, maybe 4 for $100.

This is likely the best investment one can make in guns. Pick the top two or three pistols and buy a few high caps. Glock mags went from something like $15 to $80 when the assault weapons ban was enacted. If you can find Glock mags for $25ish/each, they are good buy.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    IMO, the first and most important investment is in knowledge. In the gun market you are the broker I.e buyer and seller. Pick one mfg. you really like and study. Places like INGO, are ideal for honest debate and exchange of opinions. Look, It takes one gun magazine writer to say how he just discovered a blast from the past and wammo hot property. Also venture out to other venues and see what people from different states find valuable. IMO Louisville seems to covet Winchesters,NW illinois remmington, and washington d.c. oops never mind. I wish everyone could experence the wanamaker show in Tulsa ok. 11 acres under roof and the most friendly people around. It takes two days to see everything but what a education.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I think if you buy right and know what you are buying you will not get hurt. A older firearm that already has collector interest is one that will go up. A new one will drop down before it starts to increase in price. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes in guns and that will cause them to move towards one type or model and brand name.
    AR's and AR lowers may be good, unless everyone buys a truck load and has a safe full of lowers and rifles to sell then they will not be worth a dam as a investment. It is all supply and demand, like all markets.

Top Bottom