• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have been pouring over the BATF C&R area online and am not finding the answer and I have a seller waiting for my answer.

I am looking to purchase an SKS from a guy in north east area of the US. I am in Indy & hold a C&R license.

Can he ship it to me without the need for him to document in some way? Can I just purchase it and add it to my collection?

I have done this when purchasing from folks like Classic Firearms but never from an out of state individual.

And as a courtesy I want to try and confirm the seller would not be in jeopardy as long as he ships it properly.

Can he send it UPS or FedeX without too much hassle?

Thanks for your advice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm no expert, but I'd say it has to go through a FFL. Does an SKS fit the definition of a C&R? I dont think it does (its too new) so Im not sure your C&R is valid for this purchase.
    Its not over 50 years old.
    its not of an interest to a museum
    they are not novel, rare or bizarre.

So unless there is something special about this particular SKS, I dont think it fits the bill.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

At least that is how this google-fu commando understands it.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I'm no expert, but I'd say it has to go through a FFL. Does an SKS fit the definition of a C&R? I dont think it does (its too new) so Im not sure your C&R is valid for this purchase.
    Its not over 50 years old.
    its not of an interest to a museum
    they are not novel, rare or bizarre.

So unless there is something special about this particular SKS, I dont think it fits the bill.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

At least that is how this google-fu commando understands it.

The SKS was designed in the 1940's so I would say that it's over 50 years old, at least the first one's made were.
    All other points not withstanding. But like you said, If it's not on the list then no it's not okay.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    J&G Sales shows this on their web site.

Chinese SKS Type 56 Semi Auto Rifle, 7.62x39, Military Surplus Issue with Bayonet, C&R. Used. $329.95
    Original Chinese 56 SKS rifles, military surplus specification with chrome lined bore, barrel threaded into receiver, milled parts, and folding blade bayonet. These early rifles were used and show wear from active military service, with little metal bluing finish, and rough wood stocks. Do not expect a cleaning rod. Overall Fair to Good condition, functioning shootable rifles, may have spots of corrosion, heavily preserved in cosmoline. C&R eligible. Most marked with factory 26 in a triangle.

I wonder if these are over 50 years old? If so I wonder how I tell if the sellers SKS is over 50?

http://www.jgsales.com/chinese-sks-type-56-semi-auto-rifle,-7.62x39,-military-surplus-issue-with-bayonet,-c-r.-used.-p-58288.html?options={4}15

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Depends on the SKS but the chinese commercial ones (IIRC) are not C&R eligable because there isn't a way to date them, but YMMV.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I did not think this would be an issue because Classic Firearms Yugos and J&G Sales Chinese both show their SKS's as C&R eligible. I called J&G and they said their Chinese SKS rifles are C&R eligible. I have purchased two other Chinese ones from Classic before under my C&R license. So I don't know what to think.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I did not think this would be an issue because Classic Firearms Yugos and J&G Sales Chinese both show their SKS's as C&R eligible. I called J&G and they said their Chinese SKS rifles are C&R eligible. I have purchased two other Chinese ones from Classic before under my C&R license. So I don't know what to think.

As Clay says above, the commercial ones brought in and sold in the 1990s are NOT C&R eligible. However, the more recent crop of mil-surp rifles, such as those you cite from JG Sales, are eligible.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    GM, "Chinese SKS" covers a lot of territory, some C&R; some non-C&R. Need to get a hold of seller and ascertain exactly what this is.

OR, have him send to FFL, that way you are safe and only out the $30 in rent of your FFL. $30 (or whatever) is a lot cheaper than bond and a lawyer. Won't put as many holes in the old stomach from ulcers either.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ship to and FFL and then enter in bound book?

If you want to be safe one way, you should be safe the other.

Don't forget to record the sellers details.

Now if this firearm was certainly C&R, then yes, the seller can ship directly to you after you send your FFL03.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Ship to and FFL and then enter in bound book?

If you want to be safe one way, you should be safe the other.

Don't forget to record the sellers details.

Now if this firearm was certainly C&R, then yes, the seller can ship directly to you after you send your FFL03.

^This.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    It is up to the sellers if they want to honor a C&L . remember that any dealer can refuse to sell to buyer if thy so desire , licensed or not.
    They might want to cover their ass

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    GM, "Chinese SKS" covers a lot of territory, some C&R; some non-C&R. Need to get a hold of seller and ascertain exactly what this is.

OR, have him send to FFL, that way you are safe and only out the $30 in rent of your FFL. $30 (or whatever) is a lot cheaper than bond and a lawyer. Won't put as many holes in the old stomach from ulcers either.

^^^^^^^^^ It ain't worth the worry brother....Do what Kirk says....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, if you can't accurately date many SKS's, then why does the BATFE use date ranges?

From the list:
    Albanian SKS, '64 to '78
    Romanian 56 SKS, '56 to '62 w/ S/N of two letters followed by four digits
    Russian SKS

Now that's the 2007 revision. I checked the updates, but nothing else was entered.

So, OP, come back and update us.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I am taking the Counselor's advice and having it sent to my LGS.

Because of the cloud around identifying the rifle and the risk of being wrong I will just pay the transfer fee.

Truth be known... I'm not fond of bonds, attorney fees or ulcers. I am fond of nice SKS's.

Top Bottom