• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    I've been doing a lot of research on my next rifle purchase and I think I've narrowed it down. I'm looking at buying my first AK-style rifle. I've narrowed it down to an Arsenal in 7.62x39. I just have a few questions for the INGO AK experts:

1) Is the milled receiver really worth the extra $$$? I will mostly be using it as a range/fun gun. I am kind of leaning toward the SLR107 stamped receivers, unless you guys really think the milled are THAT much better.

2) SLR107-31 (polymer triangle stock) or 34 (metal triangle stock)? Any benefits of one over the other? How is the cheek-weld on the metal stock? Are the metal stocks a lot more study and durable?

107fr.jpg
    OR
    slr107-31sf.jpg

Help me pick out my first AK rifle!! I definitely want something fun and that will last for years. :abused:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If you just want a gun to shoot a stamped receiver will do you just fine.

I can't tell you anything about stock choice.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The milled receivers are nice if you are after the AK Type 3 look. If you like the look and feel of the early AK Type 3 then get the milled receiver, but the Soviets went to the stamped rifle to save money, but not at the cost of reliability.

Fortunately the lighter stamped receiver AKM variants are just as for nice range guns. You really can't go wrong with one.

As for the stock, my 2 cents is you will enjoy the plastic standard shaped stock over the triangle style one if you are used to getting a good cheek weld. The metal against the face takes some getting used to, and I know a lot of people who never did get used to them.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Agreed. I'm good with both but I prefer the plastic even though I like the looks Of the triangle folder. Go stamped over milled, get milled once you have a stamped.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Help me pick out my first AK rifle!! I definitely want something fun and that will last for years. :abused:

Just about any AK ought to be just fine. Milled or stamped, folding stock or not, triangle, standard, yadda yadda.

I've never had an AK with the triangle folding stock, but those slimmed down metal folding stocks *usually* aren't as comfortable to use or get a cheek weld on as a regular full-size stock is.

I've been hearing good things about the Centurion 39 AK. At $600, they have my interests piqued. Don't get me wrong, Arsenal makes some nice AKs, but you don't have to spend a grand on one that will be fun and last for many years to come; especially for your first AK.

Say, $600 for an AK, then $250 for 1,000 rounds. If you really like it, you'll stock up on a few thousand rounds in your stash, and you'll eventually have so much ammo that you'll need to get a 2nd AK to help shoot it all.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I definitely recommend getting the SLR-107, and staying far away from some mess Century cobbled together. Their rifles usually go bang every time the triggers squeezed, but are often riddled with problems and are not built very straight. My SLR's (stamped Bulgarian Arsenal) are my favorites, and I own a milled Bulgarian, Saiga SGL, Polytech, VEPR, etc..... The build quality is superb, and you can't beat the left sided folding stocks. As far as polymer vs triangle, I prefer the polymer. It feels just like a fixed stock, with none of the draw backs of a folding one. My triangle folder on my SLR-104 is comfortable as well, but gets really cold in the winter. Also note that you can buy a triangle stock from KVAR for around $100, and swap it out with the series 100 polymer one simply by pushing out a pin (4.5mm) and replacing it.

WatermAlan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2014
    Carmel
    Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm gonna go with the stamped and polymer stock to start. I know I will probably end up buying another AK in the future and will probably be looking at a milled, but I think the stamped will be good to start out with. It's also good to know that I can swap out the poly stock for a metal one in the future if I wanted to. Now I need to get some mags and ammo!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I previously owned an SLR107-31 poly version and currently have an SLR107-34 with the metal triangle. I like the ergonomics of the poly stock but the metal is a little thinner, less bulky when folded, and is "cool". However, the button release to unfold the stock on the poly versus prying the latch with the metal is a little bit of a PITA, and the poly is a little more comfortable. I very well may end up sweitching mine to a poly...or just buying a second SLR107 :whistle:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Thanks for all the help guys! I think I'm gonna go with the stamped and polymer stock to start. I know I will probably end up buying another AK in the future and will probably be looking at a milled, but I think the stamped will be good to start out with. It's also good to know that I can swap out the poly stock for a metal one in the future if I wanted to. Now I need to get some mags and ammo!

Now that's what a champion would do!

Top Bottom