• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    If I buy a car private party in Indiana what do I have to do?

Get the title signed in my name

Write up a bill of sale

Drive it home..... With or with out a plate. If I get pulled over with no plate will I be fine with the bill of sale and proof of insurance?

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    typically a signed and dated title tranferred to you is good enough in the event that you get puled over.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ive purchased a number of cars in the state, so i actually asked the police. they recommend putting a good plate on the car from your car anytime u drive it one the road. u have 30 days to get permanent plates and insurance.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    ive purchased a number of cars in the state, so i actually asked the police. they recommend putting a good plate on the car from your car anytime u drive it one the road. u have 30 days to get permanent plates and insurance.
    yup.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Picking up a new ride?

2005-nopi-big.jpg

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    A new used ride for Mrs. Fenway. I'll continue to roll in the Corolla. Just getting started with 200,000 miles

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If I buy a car private party in Indiana what do I have to do?

Get the title signed in my name

Write up a bill of sale

Drive it home..... With or with out a plate. If I get pulled over with no plate will I be fine with the bill of sale and proof of insurance?

See if the seller has the title or if a bank still has it. You will want a bill of sale no matter what. Do not get funny with having a bill of sale that says you paid say $5,000, but the owner and/or you conspire to put $4,000 on the title just to save you in taxes. I believe that is illegal and could harm your case in civil court if something came up.

You will need to bring your own plate, with the registration to the vehicle it currently belongs to, and I believe it has to be in _your_ name as well. Keep the registration for the license plate with the bill of sale (don't keep the title in the vehicle) and you are good to go, for 30 days I believe. My advice is to register the car ASAP, don't play around with.

Your current vehicle insurance usually covers people under a grace period, so that shouldn't be an issue. Call them and make sure you are covered though.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Last month I bought a car and was driving it 5 miles home with no plate. I did have the bill of sale and the signed title dated for that day.

I was pulled over, and informed that I couldn't legally drive this home with no plate on it. I had to either put the plate from the vehicle I traded in (I hadn't traded one in, so this didn't apply to me) or go to the BMV and get temporary plates.

He threatened to ticket me and impound the car, but let me off with a warning and made me leave the car at the side of the road until I got plates.

Maybe he's misinformed, but this is what he told me.

Top Bottom