• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Welcome to Ingo.
    I do not own a Stag, nor have I shot one, but from what I've read and heard from Stag owners, you could do a whole lot worse.
    You should be good to go.

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    Welcome aboard! What other options does your local dealer have? Or have you been shopping online?

Stag makes a decent rifle. Like cbhausen said, Stag has recently been in some legal trouble and it might be a while before things are normal at their facility. If that affects build quality, who knows, but...

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Welcome to INGO! I can't speak to Stag but there are many great choices out there!

l1n5c0tt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    Trail Creek
    Don't own one but a buddy has a left handed stag. It's an okay but not sure it's worth the money you pay. Now his just could have been pricey cause it was a lefty. And to the legal pretty sure I read they was in trouble for paperwork issues.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    My dad has a Left handed Stag. I've never had issues shooting it and he's never mentioned anything going wrong it.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Welcome.

Stag makes good ARs. That said, I wouldn't buy an AR just because the internetz (and people on the internetz) seem to think they're good. If you're relatively new to the AR world, buy a cheap one to learn on and then see if the features the Stag boasts are what you'd like to upgrade to. What you may find is the cheapo AR is just as good as the Stag, especially for what you're using it to do.

There's lots of talk about "this one is a good one" or "that one sucks." What I tend to see is people who know what they're doing can run any rifle proficiently and those who read the forums a lot tend to say things like, "that one sucks."

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have personal experience with the Stag Model 1 and I would suggest Not to buy the Stag. The lower is put together great but the Upper is a different story. Loose Barrel Nut, Poorly staked gas key, 4140 barrel. For roughly the same price I would be looking at a Colt 6920. I have 3x Colts and haven't had an issue with any of the above problems. YMMV and yes I shoot a couple thousand rounds a year through my ARs.

delphigto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Walton
    I have shot a buddies and it shot fine. Still not a big fan heard good and bad from them. I'm a rock river fan. You pay a little more but get a solid gun. I've had several and still have a few rra lar8s and lar15s. Great guns.

csprig9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    thanks for the replies everybody. I went with the stag model 1. its the same one my dad has and the one i have the most experience with shooting and maintenance wise. he has had his for a long time and we have put numerous rounds through it. i have shot many different ones that my friends have but went with what i have always shot. i hope mine is as reliable as my dads has been. Again, thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom