• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Every time I visit a certain central Indiana gun shop, I hear this story told to either me, or another 18-20 year old customer:

"You cannot legally purchase a handgun until you are 21. The government gives 18 year olds their carry permit because back in the days of mom-and-pop general stores, they had the oldest boy take the day's receipts/cash deposit down to the bank. They would give him a gun for security when he went, then take it back when he returned, so the state saw the need to issue 18 year olds carry permits. You cannot buy a handgun from a dealer or private seller when you are under 21, your parents have to, and they are responsible for the firearm and your actions with said firearm until you are 21"

This certain gun shop is the only place I have ever heard this, but it does lead me to question... any legitimacy in this story? or are these guys totally missing the mark? I have always heard handgun purchases from a dealer are legal at 21, private sale at 18.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The story is false, in Indiana anyone over 18 can buy a gun, federal law, which FFLs follow says 21 for handgun, 18 for long gun

Maybe you need to find a new gun shop, I recommend Tactical Shotgunner;)

TacticalShotgunner.com

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    any legitimacy in this story?

Remember when you were in 7th grade or whatever and trying to figure out human reproductivity and guy were just making stuff up to act more mature?:D

Think of two venn diagrams. One area regulates sales (federal), one diagram regulates carry (state).

The sales venn diagram overlaps but the federal circle controls pursuant to the Constitution.

In the carry venn diagram does not overlap so the state circle controls.

As far as the history to the Indiana carry statute it was implemented with several different motives (to fight bank robbers, one of the last acts of the influence of the Klu Klux Klan which favored it to disarm Blacks and Catholics) but it was based on model legislation, the Uniform Pistol Act, that was being passed around the states during the '20s and '30s.

Prior to the passage of the Uniform Pistol Act Indiana forbade carrying concealed handguns (unless travelling) in 1820. Carrying concealed was frowned upon at statehood as only ruffians did not carry weapons in plain sight.

If you want to look it up: Ind. Laws 1819, c. 23 prohibits all persons except travellers from carrying concealed Pistols. See also Rev. Laws (1831), c. 26, §58 and Ind. Laws 1859, c. 78. Held constitutional in State v. Mitchell, 3 Blackford 229 (1833).

Prior to 1968 Indiana had a statute that one had to be 16 in order to purchase a pistol but most kids bought them through the mail (as my uncles did) or bought them with parental permission (my father bought a pistol at 13, iirc, from Schmaltz's sporting goods in Bloomington with a letter from my grandfather).

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    ...As far as the history to the Indiana carry statute it was implemented with several different motives (to fight bank robbers, one of the last acts of the influence of the Klu Klux Klan which favored it to disarm Blacks and Catholics) but it was based on model legislation, the Uniform Pistol Act, that was being passed around the states during the '20s and '30s.

Prior to the passage of the Uniform Pistol Act Indiana forbade carrying concealed handguns (unless travelling) in 1820. Carrying concealed was frowned upon at statehood as only ruffians did not carry weapons in plain sight.

If you want to look it up: Ind. Laws 1819, c. 23 prohibits all persons except travellers from carrying concealed Pistols. See also Rev. Laws (1831), c. 26, §58 and Ind. Laws 1859, c. 78. Held constitutional in State v. Mitchell, 3 Blackford 229 (1833).

Prior to 1968 Indiana had a statute that one had to be 16 in order to purchase a pistol but most kids bought them through the mail (as my uncles did) or bought them with parental permission (my father bought a pistol at 13, iirc, from Schmaltz's sporting goods in Bloomington with a letter from my grandfather).

Thanks for the history lesson, that's interesting.

Top Bottom