• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Tag this thread if you think buyers are to blame for the high prices not the sellers. I'm so frustrated with the "gouging" threads.

First of all, what do you people not understand about a free market?

Second of all, anyone who buys at an elevated price propagates that price OR higher. I should be complaining about yuo not you complaining about the shop.

Third, which is why I am complaining about you: the buyer who paid too much and kept the prices outrageously high! :ar15:

This isn't an issue of "blame".
    This is simply an issue of free markets, and their dynamics.

Would it be better if the government set the price for us?
    Then it would be "fair"... :laugh:

If ANYBODY is to blame, it's the individual who needs to look in the mirror and ask their self
    "Why did I put off buying that AR15 I wanted so badly for all those years?"

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Tag this thread if you think buyers are to blame for the high prices not the sellers. I'm so frustrated with the "gouging" threads.

Second of all, anyone who buys at an elevated price propagates that price OR higher. I should be complaining about yuo not you complaining about the shop.

Third, which is why I am complaining about you: the buyer who paid too much and kept the prices outrageously high! :ar15:

Simple solution, don't buy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There's plenty of "blame" to go around. That we should foment a fight within the gun community between businesses and consumers, seems like a bad idea.

Sure, the sellers could refuse to raise their prices so much, but in fairness to them, they are looking at the uncertainty of their future business and choosing to "make hay while the sun is shining", not knowing whether they will have a business in 6 months and how they will feed their families after that.

Of course, buyers can refuse to buy when the prices are that high, but in fairness to them, if they actually think it's and issue of safety or survival and they don't know whether they can be prepared (to the extent they feel necessary) in 6 months, it's tough to rationally price compare.

...plenty of blame and plenty of uncertainty to go around. That being said- Rule #1 in a survival situation is what? DON'T PANIC. Both sides are guilty on this one.
    (Rule #2 is finding a fresh water source, but so far, no price gouging on that yet).

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    dealer

I don't understand the gouging argument. Example: If I'm a dealer, and have a line of customers eager to buy PMAGS for $30 each, why would I be selling them for $15?

Example: That might make you a scum-bag:twocents:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    This is why they used to require that boring old Economics class in High School.

In a free market the seller is free to set any price they like for the goods the THEY OWN. It is always the buyer that makes the decision to purchase or not. Anyone that has worked in retail knows what happens to the set price on a good if it doesn't sell. One way or another the price has to be reduced to move the goods or they sit and collect dust. Many retail business have a set formula for their goods as to how many days they will retain a good before putting a "sale" price on them and then after so many say a "clearance" price goes on unsold goods.

While there is probably no completely free market on this planet (same as there is no completely command or government controlled market) you can always count on this feature working in the marketplace. If you are truly looking for someone in the free market to vilify then maybe look to the SPECULATOR who buys large quantities of things in anticipation of market shortages or panic buying so he can "sell high". Of course the speculator in the market does run the risk of having the market go the orher way and then getting stuck with goods that are worth less than he paid for them. It is a form of LEGAL gambling and the best example is in the Commodities Market. People win and lose fortunes every day by engaging in speculating.

The point is, UNDERSTAND the Free Market and do what you can to make it work for you rather than against you. Anger toward the seller is really wasted effort. Take action and buy your firewood in the spring and summer so you can burn it in the winter to stay warm as opposed to burning up at the high prices set by the seller of the firewood in the winter.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Take magazines (Pmags) for example , I've seen them for as "low" as $60 and as high as $200 .

Wouldn't the guy selling them for the lower price make more in the long run because word would get out and more people would buy at the lower price ?

I think the simplest solution is for everyone to just stop buying anything gun related for a week and force the prices back down .

sly14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I agree if people would quit buying at these high prices. The prices would come down

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

In a free market, nobody is to "blame" for the prices.

It's a self regulating dynamic that ALWAYS penalizes either the consumer or the producer when the supply and the demand are out of balance.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You know what's to blame? LAWS! The laws of economics are to blame. Write your congressman right now to repeal the Supply and Demand Act of 1948! It's time that Obama quit writing executive orders for these rules that those left wing economist come up with!

We need a good ole fashion planned economy with scheduled productions and fixed prices just like in the USSR!
    (<------ see avatar)

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    After the last primer, powder, bullet, brass, ammo shortage and the signature whining and crying, I kept a list of what I might need before the next one. When the supply of various items started showing up again, it would take me all of 5 minutes every night to check my favorite sites for the items on my list. Prices were up a bit [but that's inflation]and many months ago my supplies were built up sufficiently to ride out the next shortage should it come, which it did. Hey, where's all the uproar over the price of a can of soup? Keeps going up and up!

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I just leaft my local gun shops .. I was doing my rounds looking for ammo... The best I could do was 4 boxes/customer mfs steel casing 55 grain fmj 10.00 a box...

I back ordered 500 rnds of armscor 223 brass at 7.00 a box.. Back order date being 1/21/13.... I called midway optimistic and heard that June 6 th is when I will get it... How am I supposed to shoot if I don't pay what is asked...????

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I was looking around at some of my bulk ammo sites today and saw that a lot of ammo was back in stock. Some of it was slightly over priced but nothing like what we have been seeing for the last couple weeks. I think it is on it's way to calming down. I would say I feel sorry for these people who bought this overpriced ammo that are now stuck with it but I would be lying.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

I listed a couple AR15s on Gunbroker at $850. Those are fair prices. I didn't set any reserve and I would have sold the guns for that price. One sold for $1200, the other auction is still running but that gun is already up to $1600.

So yes, the buyers are DRIVING up the prices.

But is different than the sellers who ask outrageous prices.

Top Bottom