• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Just an FYI, his dad and I were both behind him at one point or another. If one of us weren't behind him, we were reloading. That's when the bad play happened. It would happen to anyone. The main thing is that we were able to correct him and go home that night. There is no negative to this story.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Great job with the new shooter, 360. Thanks for sharing the good news with all of us!

I told him I would take him to the Indy 1500 with me if his dad said it was ok. He will **** his pants when he sees all of the guns there.

Shoot, man, I just about did that my first time at the 1500!

T-rav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Awesome to hear man! Its nice you got a new shooter out there and possibly re-ignited it in his dad. Kudos to enforcing safety as well.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Just wondering. Did the dad do any shooting and did you invite him to go along to the 1500?
    Yeah, his dad participated as much as he did. He had never shot any of the evil assault rifles before. He loved the AR15, but for some reason, they both took to the the AKs and wanted to shoot them more. I just let em have at it. I think we went through about 500 rds in about 2 hours.

Great job with the new shooter, 360. Thanks for sharing the good news with all of us!

Shoot, man, I just about did that my first time at the 1500!

I agree, but if I were subjected to the Indy 1500 at age 16, it would have been as fun as sneaking off on weeknights to have sex with my 17 year old girlfriend in her parents full size custom van. I'm not sure which one would have been better.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There was sticker shock when he started asking prices about guns and ammo. His dad was like, heh...better get a good job. You could just see him chewing it up though. Then his dad said, well...I know where my money is going to go when you leave the house. :):
    That's great now your next step ahould be to introduce hime to Reloading, if you do that. And then with the help of his dad you could introduce him to the importance of W.O.R.K. and a job in order to achieve goals. Even at his age he could cut grass, clean up neighbors yards to earn $$$$ ! I don't get the chance to do what you did hardly at all so I'm a little envious. But in June I plan to take a divorced mother of three to the range and introduce her to the sport. Wish me luck,,,she's never fired a firearm at all! :ingo::patriot:

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    I hope that all of us are willing to take time and personal expense to help bring new people into our sport. My compliments to your stewardship of our sport - job well done.

It was interesting to read your approach on this first trip with this young man. It would be interesting, if you would be willing, to post your thoughts on what you would do differently next time. Both with the next range visit with this young man and how you might approach a similar situation with the next new shooter you introduce.

I've concluded I'm not qualified (yet?) to train new comers, but I find myself working with my little ones and on occasion a friend that has come to me requesting help. I find myself directing people to resources to help establish or build the basics of safety.

One other thought ... you were lucky the dad was not trying to "jump in" and provide additional help and instruction to compete with your directions. That kind of thing can be very problematic.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I hope that all of us are willing to take time and personal expense to help bring new people into our sport. My compliments to your stewardship of our sport - job well done.

It was interesting to read your approach on this first trip with this young man. It would be interesting, if you would be willing, to post your thoughts on what you would do differently next time. Both with the next range visit with this young man and how you might approach a similar situation with the next new shooter you introduce.

I've concluded I'm not qualified (yet?) to train new comers, but I find myself working with my little ones and on occasion a friend that has come to me requesting help. I find myself directing people to resources to help establish or build the basics of safety.

One other thought ... you were lucky the dad was not trying to "jump in" and provide additional help and instruction to compete with your directions. That kind of thing can be very problematic.
    Thanks! I'll be the first to admit that I am not very good at explaining things in print. I tend to type run-ons, have poor punctuation, and general rambling to get to my point.

However, to try to answer as simply as possible-

It would be difficult to say how I would approach the same situation with a different shooter. I have another first timer I will be taking out at some point this summer. I think the age thing has a lot to do with it. Most 16 year olds have listening impediments, so I approached it with extra caution. I would be re-instilling the same lessons I discussed in the first trip out- Safety being the most important, then the basic functions of the firearm, and shooting tips as I see fit.

His dad and I are pretty good friends, and see most things eye-to-eye. He kind of listened up too, as he is not an experienced shooter either. But he was good to help reinforce the things I was telling the boy, gently reminding to be safe and watch what he was doing. I didn't think he was overbearing at all.

It was just the brain farts that we had to corral.

luckyandy20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Great story wish i had a cool nieghbor, lol I live by really old people that are not a big fan of things that make loud noises

Top Bottom