• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I don't own an AR-styled rifle and not very well versed in their operation and such, but have been thinking of taking the plunge after I received a flyer from Cabelas in the mail for their fall savings coupons. In it, it lists "save $50 with coupon" for a Bushmaster with TRS-25 Red Dot. The sale price would be $649.99

I welcome all opinions on this, as to whether it would be money well spent or should I consider another model. It says carbon upper and lower. Includes two 30-rd mags, soft case and sling. I tried looking up on the Bushmaster website to find a similar rifle. It looks like it may be a hunting rifle with the longer 16" barrel and a top rail for the Red Dot.

Thanks to all!

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I purchased this exact setup from Bradis. I was impressed with the fit and finish, and the scope that's included can be easily sold if it's not your preference. It's a great starter AR. I never had a chance to fire it, and I ended up listing it on here and sold it quickly.

I was more interested in the Rem 700 w/stainless barrel for $550! That was an AWESOME price, but I can't see myself getting into .308 anytime soon.

FWIW, there IS a noticeable difference in weight with this model. I happened to like it. YMMV.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Looks like a great price on a nice fun weapon, and it's a Bushmaster, so they stand behind their product.

I'm assuming you'll be getting it at the Hammond Store.

I'm ticked I didn't see that deal. :D

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    I would call ahead to make sure they have it. I learned that just because it's in the flier doesn't mean it's in your particular store.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I've only flown through the Hammond Store, so is the gun department pretty competent?? They were extremely busy, but there was always somebody asking if I needed help. I'm racking up Cabela points, and the only thing I can think of is maybe a gun, if it's an ok price. Probably hoping for more than I should, but I'll find something.;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Anyone know if the staking on Bushmaster ARs has been fixed? I've heard a lot about it not being staked properly. If I remember correctly, the carrier had a big problem with that.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I would call ahead to make sure they have it. I learned that just because it's in the flier doesn't mean it's in your particular store.

It's not in that particular Hammond Store but they said they can easily ship it free from another location to Hammond. It just might take a week. I've known that to be true on other items, I've purchased.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Anyone know if the staking on Bushmaster ARs has been fixed? I've heard a lot about it not being staked properly. If I remember correctly, the carrier had a big problem with that.

What is "being staked properly" mean? See, there shows my AR ignorance on these rifles. I would like to purchase a good first AR rifle, learn how it shoots, how the internals all work. Then, either start customizing it or purchase another down the road to which I can add some "bolt ons"...like I did with my 10/22, knowing there is no comparison.

The intent is to have one for HD as well as some coyote shooting from time to time and general target shooting. My 12 Ga is my primary HD with various pistols and revolvers for backup.

I did read up a little on the carbon model being a little light, but haven't heard of this "staking" issue.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I also am wondering about Blythe's in Valpo. Has any NWI shooters bought rifles recently from them? I have gotten good handgun deals and they have a decent stock of AR's...so I might take a run over there and look as well.

I guess what I am looking for are opinions on what is a good quality and decently priced, basic AR 5.56/.223. It can have just the standard foregrip and carry handle on it. I would just like to own one and learn about it as I go.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is "being staked properly" mean? See, there shows my AR ignorance on these rifles.

The gas key is attached to the bolt carrier via two large hex-head screws. The heads of said screws are usually "staked" (peened or otherwise impacted so as to force material from the bolt carrier against the heads of the screws, preventing rotation). There are various methods and degrees of staking (top, side, 1-, 2- or 3-point, counter-staking, etc), some better than others. Many manufacturers (not just BM) use a less-than-desirable method of staking that can allow the screws to loosen with shooting over time.

Everything you ever wanted to know about staking:
    bolt carrier staking (comparison) - M4Carbine.net Forums

A good stake job:
    Colt2.jpg

A not-so-good stake job:
    VLTORstocks005.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What is "being staked properly" mean? See, there shows my AR ignorance on these rifles. I would like to purchase a good first AR rifle, learn how it shoots, how the internals all work. Then, either start customizing it or purchase another down the road to which I can add some "bolt ons"...like I did with my 10/22, knowing there is no comparison.

You see the term "Mil-Spec" thrown around a lot when talking about AR's and that's saying that it's the way the military demands the rifle to be for their needs from the lowest bidder.

The bushmaster is not properly staked according to mil-spec. Now... what's that mean? Are all those bushmasters out there with round counts in the thousands going to quit working all of a sudden because they were built just slightly differently? I don't think so. I have a M4 looking colt 6920 (mil-spec) and an M16 looking bushmaster 20". When I compared the bolt carrier assemblies the difference in how they stake their gas keys was pretty easy to see and the way colt does it seems like it would serve the purpose better, but I have shot more rounds through my bushmaster and haven't had a problem with the gas key getting loose. All the staking is doing is making sure the bolts holding the gas key to the carrier don't ever come loose.

*Long story short, don't worry about it. The bushmasters are good to go and there's more than one way to skin a cat.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    You can read the review that I did on mine here. Overall I have been very pleased with it and enjoy the very light weight, it is several lbs lighter than a standard aluminum carbine. I have not had even a single malfunction and have 500+ rounds of a mix of 5.56 and .223 ranging from high quality Hornady to cheap Silver Bear stuff. The rifle is good to go.

Now, with this being said, if I were to do it all over again, I may get one from Spikes as the price has come down on those significantly and I ended up selling the Optic that came with the Bushmaster anyways. Good luck on your decision.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...aster_c15_orc_dial-up_beware.html#post1096276

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom