• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kpt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Northeast Indy
    yeah, that seems to be the biggest issue...
    a fallout shelter is only good if you can get to it...
    if something were to happen during the work day how many of us could really get to our fallout shelter or BOL timely?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    OAK RIDGE SELF-HELP CIVIL DEFENSE - Access to Energy Newsletter Archive

Looks like "Nuclear War Survival Skills" can still be purchased. It has plans for various types of shelters, from simple to complex. It also has plans for homemade radiological detection devices, air filters, air pumps, and various other useful information. Rent a backhoe and a couple hundred dollars of building materials and you can build a basic fallout shelter in your backyard (if the local Homeowners Association won't have a fit).

I still have an edition of this book laying around in the garage somewhere...

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    How about Vault 101...
    1zlrcbs.jpg

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    if i were to have a shelter/bunker I think i would buy one of those metal shipping containers they use on large ships to haul goods across the oceans in, bury it (basikly have a basement with the crate sitting in it, and somehow figure how to make the doors (prob have one welded shut) lock and unlock from the inside of the house, and then have another door like the old cellar door/stairs to the outside, and probably for just in case type problems have a round hole in the roof cut out with a ladder... obviously some basic tools such as a couple of hand says/metal blades, shovels and such would be kept to help get out if shtf big time... but mine would more likely be for tornado useage and maybe a safe room then if a nuclear blast hit or something... id rather go stand under it and be done.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I need to come up with something for me, I live in an apartment and being a college student will have no means to build a shelter soon. Best chance I have is my grandmas basement. Has a room in the back corner free of windows. Just probably have to barricade the door and hope for the best. sadly it is small though

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I live in the middle of nowhere, and we own a couple of woods nearby with both a creek and pond at one of them. But sadly dad has told me the water table is too high to add on any sort of basement/cellar to where it would be totally underground. Would have problems with water leaks eventually. I'm thinking something partly in the ground, and partly above but covered with a mound of dirt would be the ticket for me.

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    Fortunately i have a small room in my cellar thats off to the side, the ceiling is approx. 6-12 inches of concrete maybe more and the walls are cinderblock with concrete poured over them ???? for some reason... I think the room was used to can things at one time but it will suffice.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    if i were to have a shelter/bunker I think i would buy one of those metal shipping containers they use on large ships to haul goods across the oceans in, bury it (basikly have a basement with the crate sitting in it, and somehow figure how to make the doors (prob have one welded shut) lock and unlock from the inside of the house, and then have another door like the old cellar door/stairs to the outside, and probably for just in case type problems have a round hole in the roof cut out with a ladder... obviously some basic tools such as a couple of hand says/metal blades, shovels and such would be kept to help get out if shtf big time... but mine would more likely be for tornado useage and maybe a safe room then if a nuclear blast hit or something... id rather go stand under it and be done.

They aren't very waterproof and they rust out. Military has used them for long-term storage of equipment that doesn't need a controlled, dry environment. You'd probably get about 10 years out of one, depending upon your local water table.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I need to come up with something for me, I live in an apartment and being a college student will have no means to build a shelter soon. Best chance I have is my grandmas basement. Has a room in the back corner free of windows. Just probably have to barricade the door and hope for the best. sadly it is small though

If you're looking for storm protection and can get your grandma to let you make a permanent addition, there are plans out on the web for how to build a "safe-room" in a house. University of Oklahoma ought to have plans via their Tornado studies.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I live in the middle of nowhere, and we own a couple of woods nearby with both a creek and pond at one of them. But sadly dad has told me the water table is too high to add on any sort of basement/cellar to where it would be totally underground. Would have problems with water leaks eventually. I'm thinking something partly in the ground, and partly above but covered with a mound of dirt would be the ticket for me.

You might look at Homes | Monolithic for concrete dome homes.

There is a guy (a farmer, I believe), just west of I-74 between I-465 and London Road exit who has an earth-shelter home. The difference between an earth-shelter home and a monolithic dome is that the earth-shelter home usually has at least one side exposed to the outside.

I haven't priced a monolithic dome in a couple years (no land to build one on right now), but they seem competitive with conventional housing when you factor in utility costs.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    my idea would to be in a "basement" setting... concrete floors and a room addition to the top part so in theory i would have a crate sitting in my basement... i have done some looking and you can get insulated containers and such... but it wouldnt be directly exposed to the elements :)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i'd love to get a few of those shipping containers. anyone know where i can buy them cheaper than new?

i'd think the steel would help protect against radiation too. i'd build a concrete and rebarb shell and encase that sucker in it. im no engineer by any means. when i eventualy build mine, i will have it professionaly designed.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    google used shipping containers. there are out there for under 2k... im sure the insulated ones like the ones im interersted in are more... but they are pretty cost effective.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We passed a place recently when we went to Huntsville, might have been called Tornado Masters. Down in Alabama. They advertised storm shelters, bomb shelters, etc. Some below ground, some above. I'd be willing to bet there's someone in Indiana offering the same services and that a Google search would turn them up. As an aside, if anyone would like copies I have a load of old Civil Defence Shelter docs as .pdfs that I'll send to anyone. The .zip file is 35.6 MB, (don't ask if you're on dial up). Or you can download it free from HERE.

Shelters.zip

Last edited:

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If you're looking for storm protection and can get your grandma to let you make a permanent addition, there are plans out on the web for how to build a "safe-room" in a house. University of Oklahoma ought to have plans via their Tornado studies.

Im looking for more fallout protection then anything

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Im looking for more fallout protection then anything

In my research, a key aspect of a fallout shelter is that it not be in the basement of the home. If your house burns above you the basement is not a good place to be. Our safe room is a shelter from home invaders and a decent place in the event of a tornado. Our fallout shelter is a better place to be in the event of a tornado, but it is a hard place to flee to quickly in an event like a home invasion.

Top Bottom