• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    this is the best and most legit one I have found.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MdUD-oSfR0&feature=related]YouTube - MHD Tours a Fallout Shelter[/ame]

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    You might want to spend some time trying to figure out where you can use oxygen generating canisters. Some atmospheres do not go with these. If I remember right, these generate heat due to a chemical reaction (that's where the oxygen comes from). Bottled air like SCBA air packs or pony rescue bottles might be a better option.

You might also look at Shotcrete as one way to address the limestone walls as a structural liner inside. You can order the Shotcrete with certain fibers in it that can replace re-bar. And I suppose if you were so inclined you could build some stone camouflage around the entrance.

You might find some ideas here: http://www.hardenedstructures.com/2050727/default.aspx

Sometimes thinking outside the box can be a fun exercise and you might save a few bucks too...:twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Here is mine. We don't really use it anymore as it is inconvenient to get to and our safe room is the primary place of retreat. When we first moved here I used it as a winecellar and later on to hang salami in. There are more pictures in my albums.

picture.php

It is completely underground and not beneath the house, the roof is 18 inch thick poured, reinforced concrete with about two feet of earth on top of that. The doors are wooden, layered over with metal and there are three separate exits. It was built by the home's previous owner in the 1950's.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Wow Eddie. That looks and sounds like a vintage, picture-perfect WWIII backyard bomb shelter. Was that an unexpected find after the sale, or was it one of the previous owner's selling points, or neither?

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Here is mine. We don't really use it anymore as it is inconvenient to get to and our safe room is the primary place of retreat. When we first moved here I used it as a winecellar and later on to hang salami in. There are more pictures in my albums.

picture.php

It is completely underground and not beneath the house, the roof is 18 inch thick poured, reinforced concrete with about two feet of earth on top of that. The doors are wooden, layered over with metal and there are three separate exits. It was built by the home's previous owner in the 1950's.

A good start, but give me ten minutes and my own "toolkit" and a foot and a half of concrete is nothing but an annoyance.

Still, pretty cool. Two would be ideal but everyone must have an emergency exit I guess.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Wow Eddie. That looks and sounds like a vintage, picture-perfect WWIII backyard bomb shelter. Was that an unexpected find after the sale, or was it one of the previous owner's selling points, or neither?

It was an unexpected find. I learned later from the previous owner's son that they built it at night so that the neighbors wouldn't know they had it.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    A good start, but give me ten minutes and my own "toolkit" and a foot and a half of concrete is nothing but an annoyance.

Still, pretty cool. Two would be ideal but everyone must have an emergency exit I guess.

I think it was designed for atomic bombs landing miles away, not to protect against direct assault. That is why we prefer our saferoom as a family retreat.

Bryanearl

Plinker
    Rating - 57.1%
    4   3   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Rosedale, Indiana
    I have been toying with the idea of getting land and having prefab put in with the wife. I can't decide because I do not know of a smart location base on I live in the middle of the city I woudl have to have a 30 minute heads up at the very least to get to a shelter after first warning and even then with people it might be pushing it.

Top Bottom