• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was thinking about getting one. I was told the triggers suck and that they were more or less just a toy0not reliable. I too am interested if any good comments come up.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    The Redjacket bullpup conversion for the 10/22 seems to get good reviews.
    I really want a bullpup 870 shotgun, but I'm not convinced they are made well enough. There is a kit available, but seems to need a bit of work to be nice.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have two bullpups; an FN FS2000 and the PS90. They both shoot great and have been 100% reliable. These are not toys as the select fire versions of these and other brand bullpups are used by various military and police worldwide, and the US Secret Service. They are very easy to handle, ambidextrous, well balanced, and very ergonomic. They are not the best choice for benchrest shooting and are best fired offhand just by nature of their design. The triggers are a bit mushy due to the connecting bar between the trigger and trigger group located in the buttstock. You get used to the trigger fairly quickly. They also draw a substantial amount of interest when you take them to the range.

So far, I have been so impressed with my bullpups that I have ordered the IWI Tavor and am looking forward to its delivery.

Why is this in the handgun forum?:dunno:

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I own the bullpup 870 build. I believe the creater of the 870 kit and the m14 kit are friends. The 870 kit is pretty good, but it does leave some things to be desired. Better than the KSG and leaps and bounds better than the old Mossberg bullpup. Better as in always goes bang and easy to handle(probably due to its AR styling)! It's hard to beat the 870 platform. I handled a UTS and It was of very poor quality, I couldn't see paying anywhere close to $1300.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you're looking for a target rifle or long range shooter, stay with a conventional configuration. If you want a short, concealable, well balanced close quarter combat rifle, then consider and try a few of the bull pups.

I have the FN FS2000 and the MSAR bullpups in .223. I also had the KelTec RFB bull pup in .308 and the RFB had the best trigger of all three. I hated to sell the RFB but I wanted to consolidate my ammo storage and also needed the cash to fund the new bench rifle I'm putting together.

The triggers on the bullpups are not as smooth and crisp as a bench rifle but if you are using them for their intended purpose, you won't be bothered at all by the trigger. I've never seen or heard anyone in a combat situation stop and holler "Gee, I wish this weapon had a smoother trigger". As mentioned above, some countries have adopted these weapons as their battle rifles. Most current bull pup barrels are at least 16" long to comply with regulations. That is as long as quite a few conventional style weapons.

My FS2000 has great balance and is fun to shoot. I installed the ACOG optics with the Docter red dot. I have shot it in this configuration out to 500 yards without any problems.

Try to find someone who has these and see if you can shoot them. I think actually trying before buying will help you make an informed decision.

SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Anyone have or used any bullpups chambered in .45? I love the idea for home defense, and although there are good arguments that .223 is a great home defense round, I'd prefer 45. I have a p220 for home defense and carry, but would love a reliable .45 bullpup rifle for accuracy sake. Yea i know hit the range and the p220 is just as accurate, which I do and it is, but when the adrenaline is rushing and your woken up at 3am, you never know how accurate you may be with a pistol. I'd prefer to rely on a carbine type rifle in 45.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Bad picture of one of my favorite shooters, a Bushmaster M17S:

picture.php

With a 21 inch barrel in a very compact package it is very accurate and once you shoulder it, very comfortable to shoot. It does take some getting used to seeing the flash of brass being flung out just below your face.

I did a lot of work on the trigger mechanism, smoothing things out, polishing and greasing parts to make the trigger feel better, but in truth you get used to it after a while and don't notice that it has a long but manageable trigger pull.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I had a Bushmaster M17S for a short while. I have an AUG A3 now.
    I know the usual plus of bullpups is reduced overall length, but my favorite thing is a byproduct of that. The center of gravity is shifted rearward, and with my jacked-up back, that lets me handle it better than a conventional rifle.

The trigger is a heavy nine pounds, but crisp. Take the old saying about how a trigger should feel like snapping an icicle and picture a big icicle.

I used to hate bullpups, including the AUG. I think I'm getting converted.

Top Bottom