• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    I've been doing some major reading on this topic the past few days. Now i know to BUILD and SELL suppressors you need a type 7 with an SOT2. My question is can i build my own suppressor with the proper forms and tax stamp? Do I need to pay the tax, get approved, and wait for my personal serial number BEFORE I start any building? And once/if approved can I use the same serialized can to try different baffle designs? Or would each baffle design need a separate stamp even though I'm using the same "cartridge"? Do I need a type 1 ffl/gunsmith to build a personal suppressor? To build my own suppressor do I need to file my design on a specific form? I know that's a lot of questions but finding "clear" answers is a little difficult. Hopefully someone on here has an 07/02 and can point me in the correct direction. All advice is appreciated!

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    these are very good questions for the atf, not for people that will not pay to represent you, serve your prison time, or give up their right to keep and bear arms in solidarity with you in the event they give you bad scoop and you get hosed. i have a type 7/sot and ask the atf questions every day. they will help you.

SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    While I appreciate your input, this is the "NFA Class 3" discussion area. I figured I'd get some decent advice. Obviously, I would verify anything mentioned. Maybe instead of letting people start question/discussion threads the site should just have the ATF phone number when you click on the NFA CLASS 3 thread. That way I wouldn't waste my time asking here. Again, thank you for your input. I'll make a call to get some answers.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I guess a good starting question would be, can you ever legally build a suppressor without a type 7/sot?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    While I appreciate your input, this is the "NFA Class 3" discussion area. I figured I'd get some decent advice. Obviously, I would verify anything mentioned. Maybe instead of letting people start question/discussion threads the site should just have the ATF phone number when you click on the NFA CLASS 3 thread. That way I wouldn't waste my time asking here. Again, thank you for your input. I'll make a call to get some answers.

You got incredibly decent advise. A couple years of law school and owning a firearms manufacturing company specializing in silencers for four years inform me. You do half the things you mentioned wrong and you can become a felon. The Internet told me I could is not a defense.

Please excuse my intrusion. I'm back to STFUville.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Could you please answer my question? Is there ever a time that an individual could legally build their own personal suppressor? I'm not asking how it can be done, just if.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    I've been doing some major reading on this topic the past few days. Now i know to BUILD and SELL suppressors you need a type 7 with an SOT2. My question is can i build my own suppressor with the proper forms and tax stamp? Do I need to pay the tax, get approved, and wait for my personal serial number BEFORE I start any building? And once/if approved can I use the same serialized can to try different baffle designs? Or would each baffle design need a separate stamp even though I'm using the same "cartridge"? Do I need a type 1 ffl/gunsmith to build a personal suppressor? To build my own suppressor do I need to file my design on a specific form? I know that's a lot of questions but finding "clear" answers is a little difficult. Hopefully someone on here has an 07/02 and can point me in the correct direction. All advice is appreciated!

YES it can be done.
    You need to go to the ATF webite and print of the form ( Form 1 )
    Fill it out,send it in and when you get aproved you then and only then can you build your own.
    Go here ( www.silencertalk.com )and you can find all your awnsers and how to design and build your own.
    What caliber and gun are you wanting to build for/

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

This has absolutely nothing to do with me but I found this extremely rude, you obviously don't appreciate his/her input or you would have engaged him/her further, possibly asking how they got started in the industry and/or if they have a good contact they might share with you for your questions. Just because it's not the advice you wanted to hear doesn't make it poor nor does it make sense to disrespect the author. With what you are planning on doing getting sound advice from a manufacturer of the very same product you are trying to make sure does seem like a good idea. Additionally he/she has no authority to stop others from replying to a post, only mods do. I hope you find your answers and stay out of prison and stay safe during manufacturing and testing but you should feel ashamed of yourself for asking for advice then getting worked up and disrespectful at what is still the most sound advice available in your thread.

SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    YES it can be done.
    You need to go to the ATF webite and print of the form ( Form 1 )
    Fill it out,send it in and when you get aproved you then and only then can you build your own.
    Go here ( www.silencertalk.com )and you can find all your awnsers and how to design and build your own.
    What caliber and gun are you wanting to build for/

thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

SameOl'Sh!z

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    indianapolis
    This has absolutely nothing to do with me but I found this extremely rude, you obviously don't appreciate his/her input or you would have engaged him/her further, possibly asking how they got started in the industry and/or if they have a good contact they might share with you for your questions. Just because it's not the advice you wanted to hear doesn't make it poor nor does it make sense to disrespect the author. With what you are planning on doing getting sound advice from a manufacturer of the very same product you are trying to make sure does seem like a good idea. Additionally he/she has no authority to stop others from replying to a post, only mods do. I hope you find your answers and stay out of prison and stay safe during manufacturing and testing but you should feel ashamed of yourself for asking for advice then getting worked up and disrespectful at what is still the most sound advice available in your thread.

I thanked him twice for his input. I'm sorry if it came off as rude. That is not how I intended it to be. He said he was an 07/02 but didn't specify he was a suppressor manufacturer. I don't feel that my response was offensive at all and I apologize if that's how it was taken. Really my main concern was redoing the baffle design and using the same can. I'll refrain from asking questions on legality issues from here on out. I'll stick with the popular "glock vs 1911" or "how to tacti-cool my Mossberg" type threads.

:chillout:

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Short answer is yes, you can design and build your own suppressor AFTER filing a form 1 and getting approval back(8-12 months). As to experimenting with different baffle designs that is a BIG NO, you have permission(form1) to build one suppressor, not spares or experimentation, you would need a license for that (or a lot of $200 tax stamps).

Building your own suppressor would be more for the satisfaction of it then anything because there are plenty of quality/proven designs out there. Also if your planning for it to be a "rifle caliber" one remember most of those are welded/sealed cans for a reason and most use exotic alloys for blast baffles at least.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Please excuse my intrusion. I'm back to STFUville.

Good idea, wish you'd stay there ..... you guys MAY build the worlds greatest cans, I'll never know. Strictly based on you attitude and how you treat people on this site, I'll never buy one of your products.

The guy asked a simple question in the appropriate section of this site, and all he gets from you is attitude and BS.

Have a great day

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Good idea, wish you'd stay there ..... you guys MAY build the worlds greatest cans, I'll never know. Strictly based on you attitude and how you treat people on this site, I'll never buy one of your products.

The guy asked a simple question in the appropriate section of this site, and all he gets from you is attitude and BS.

Have a great day

Geez I fail to see any BS or attitude in the responses given. The guy did get his answer eventually although it was most likely not the one he wanted. Telling someone to ask the folks who make the rules the question is the safe route and if I were a manufacturer it is the route I'd choose.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Geez I fail to see any BS or attitude in the responses given. The guy did get his answer eventually although it was most likely not the one he wanted. Telling someone to ask the folks who make the rules the question is the safe route and if I were a manufacturer it is the route I'd choose.

I disagree. He was also asked (by me) if it was possible to legally build your own suppressor. A simple yes or no would have been easy to post.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If you have some Google fu, you can find a build thread on this Form1 can, it's interesting for sure.

[video=youtube_share;2eyS54AdG_Y]http://youtu.be/2eyS54AdG_Y[/video]

Top Bottom