• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm asking in Shooting Sports because I believe some competitions incorporate such a thing.

Could someone please school me on "Jungle Walks"? I'm only vaguely familiar with the term.

I believe it is a course of fire where the shooter walks from 1 point to another (generally in a wooded area), while engaging various targets on the way. Is that accurate?

I have a place that would be a perfect venue for such a thing, but I was curious about how they run, what types of targets are commonly used, how they are beneficial, and any other considerations that are important.

To be clear, this would only be for private use-- I'm not looking to host an official competition.

Any help is appreciated! :ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This guy seems fairly. . . intense.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43LuoyKVLm4]YouTube - Glock 19 Jungle Walk with First Person POV[/ame]

savage 1212

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Many years ago I belonged to a ML club that had a range and log cabin in a large woods in Wells county. Besides the 25, 50 and 100 yard ranges they also had a woodswalk that was comprised of 5 stations at various distances from 15 to 75 yards. They had good backstops at all the stations so that no trees would be damaged by a stray shot and each entrant carried there own targets that they put up, shot and removed for scoring back at the cabin. The targets always varied as the lowest scoring person won the honors for setting up the following months match. It was always a lot of fun when 2 or 3 shooters would go on the walk and take turns shooting.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    R. Lee Ermey does the Knob Creek "jungle walk" starting at 9:40 into this video:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIZpCLvXsoM&feature=related]YouTube - mail call at knob creek[/ame]

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Search on YouTube for about any footage from the Blue Ridge 3 Gun or Ozarks 3-gun.

It is whatever you want it to be. Don't limit yourself to others ideas.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It is whatever you want it to be. Don't limit yourself to others ideas.

Know where the original idea came from?

Is it supposed to (poorly) simulate a wartime hike? Or is it more an exercise in shooting while moving?

Is there a point I'm missing?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    We were just starting to set one up over in Missouri before I finished up with school and came home. We had a near perfect set-up at our place, having a deep, usually dry creekbed that wound around like a drunk headed home at 3am. It was about ten feet deep and five feet wide with lots of curves and corners for targets to hide behind. Due to teh depth of teh creekbed, we could ssafely shoot in any direction and had targets set up around many of the bends. the idea was similar to many others, being a timed event with hits a necessity. Our targets were going to be paper, due to the proximity to the shooter. Also, it was pretty obvious when you were supposed to shoot a target, becasue there was no vegitation to hide them in. Unfortunately, I never got to shoot the thing, so I"m not sure how well it was recieved.

I would think if you are in the woods, you'd want a marked trail you had to follow so you would see certain targets at certain spots and keep your fire in a safe direction. Maybe you could have some rigged so they would move into view after shooting another target or even make them dissapear after you hit a target, making the shooter hit targets int eh proper order. I'd say watch a lot so multigun videos on youtube and get some ideas from there and then use your imagination!

The only down side i can see to this, is that the guy who sets it up is going to have a competitive advantage or a training disadvantage depending on how you look at it. Knowing wehre the targets are at will let you slip by when you really should be searching for targets.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As slow1911s mentioned, jungle walks are what you want to make them.

Most of them I've done were at the Deer Creek Conservation club years ago. They have an excellent facility, including some woods. The courses of fire consisted of moving along a marked path using your shotgun to knock over some heavy steel plates semi-concealed among the foliage. They were not painted or repainted, so the mottled, multi-gray coloring served as good camouflage.

The differences between this and a "regular" course of fire were:

o varied terrain, with generally more total distance covered
    o complex visual input that changed each time you moved your head or took a step
    o target obscured visually by natural vegetation and no one could tell you where a given shoot needed to be see and engage a specific target -- different for all
    o targets blocked physically by vegetation; bushes and small branches can and will deflect shot to a surprising degree

I think this sort of thing lends itself better to shotgun due to (usually) lack of significant backstops and the inherent short range of shotgun shot.

At Deer Creek with those particular plates, you also had to use fairly large birdshot, or the targets would not go down (most target loads would bounce off of them), especially on the longer shots. It's uncommon now, but almost everyone shot #4 shot in those days. At some clubs, that was the minimum size of shot to minimize backsplash. I'm one of the few dinosaurs who still uses #4 still today (and sometimes #5).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The differences between this and a "regular" course of fire were:

o varied terrain, with generally more total distance covered
    o complex visual input that changed each time you moved your head or took a step
    o target obscured visually by natural vegetation and no one could tell you where a given shoot needed to be see and engage a specific target -- different for all
    o targets blocked physically by vegetation; bushes and small branches can and will deflect shot to a surprising degree

Thanks Joe, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. :yesway: I realize that I could make it work however I choose, but I was curious as to its "original intent".

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Know where the original idea came from?

How long has any military been walking running through a jungle with gun?

Is it supposed to (poorly) simulate a wartime hike? Or is it more an exercise in shooting while moving?

Poorly? That's pretty much up to the designer, isn't it? You could always have your dad and sister shoot back. :dunno:

Is there a point I'm missing?
    It's hard to tell. To borrow from Louis Awerbuck It's a gunfight, not a tax audit. Don't over-think it, gentlemen."

You could always just come shoot a multigun match, btw.

Top Bottom