• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbond

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2013
    Franklin
    From what I have seen you always spend more on a build gun vs. factory and it seems if you every wants to trade the factory gun will net you more $$.

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    You can build it more sexy.
    image.jpg

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    68 f 100 that is a nice looken rifle. it just depends on what your wanting weather you should build or buy. ive done both. building most the time is cheaper. but if you find someone thats lost interest in there rifle you can get a good deal.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    buying is a good option for a first rifle, but if you want a specific configuration, building will be your best choice. for me, building an AR meant that i knew exactly how everything worked, and i didnt spend money on parts that i dont want.

i will always say "build, dont buy" - but if you find a rifle on the shelf that you like, buy it :)

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    when I built my two it probably cost more because of the parts I used but the one positive is you end up with the rifle you want. when you buy, depending on what brand and cost, then changing it to suit you might be better off building. it all depends on what you are looking for, a basic rifle or something more. what is it going to be used for etc.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    when I built my two it probably cost more because of the parts I used but the one positive is you end up with the rifle you want. when you buy, depending on what brand and cost, then changing it to suit you might be better off building. it all depends on what you are looking for, a basic rifle or something more. what is it going to be used for etc.

I somewhat agree with this statement. I bought my first AR in 2003, completely stripped it down 3 months later to rebuild it. The initial cost of the rifle was $950, the complete tear down and rebuild cost me an additional $1,450 (ish). Most builders want a rifle custom tailored to "their needs", not some mass produced rifle to fit the needs of many. I have a planned build using nothing but custom parts to fit my needs., and I have yet to find a factory rifle that fits my criteria. But what it all comes down to is what can your paychecks afford? For me personally, I already have a few rifles, so I can take the time needed to build a one-of-a-kind fit to me setup. If you cannot due to "funds", buy what you can and upgrade as you go.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If it's your first then you should just buy a complete gun since prices on AR's have tanked. Then buy some accessories used or new if it's a sale and install them yourself. You'll get familiar with the rifle then go build something.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    NyleRN has a point on ar prices now and being a first ar. I had two colts that I bought and shot before I built the others to change what I did not like with the stock guns

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Cant go wrong either way. If you want something that will have really good resale value buy a colt or similiar product. Putting one together with quality parts is fun and its the way you want it. If you buy a complete upper the rest of it is a cake walk. "Its so easy a caveman can do it"

Top Bottom