• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I own 65+ acres of wooded/field land out near Raccoon Lake in Parke County (about 1.5 hrs from Indy). The land is also surrounded on 3 sides by a lumber company who only harvests the trees (does not occupy). For years, I have taken friends and family out there to shoot skeet, target shoot rifles and plink around with pistols.

Now, I am thinking of possibly making a private shooting camp out on the property. I have a couple family members who are interested in investing in the deal.

I was sketching out plans that would allow me to have a skeet/trap area, a pistol range and a rifle range (out to about 300 yards) all in different areas of the property each connected by 4 wheel drive trails. I might even be looking at building a few small overnight cabins that guests could stay in. It really could be a nice package deal for small groups who want to come out and shoot all disciplins. (even though about building an urban warfare zone with close quarter training!)

My questions are these:

1. Would there be interest in a place like this?
    2. How much would one expect to pay for a day at this range? (i don't know range prices because I always shoot on my land)
    3. What other amenities would I need to be able to offer?
    4. Would small groups be interested in cabins that they could camp in?

Looking for some feedback from the forum. Thanks for your input.

Cto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    1) If #4 happens, I'd drive and stay in a cabin and use the range. How about camping area too for tents? If so, I'm in!
    2) $20-25? (I also don't know range prices) Free with cabin rental or camping lot rental?
    3) Supply shop. stock targets, ammo, cleaning supplies, etc. (Camping supplies/ basic needs if you do cabins and/or camping area)
    4) Yes.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We can always use more ranges, but does Parke County have zoning?

If so, it could be very difficult to make this happen. Once it's known you intend to do a commercial range, people will come out of the woodwork to make sure you can't get it done (as we recently saw in Putnam County). I'm not saying it will be impossible even if you do have zoning, but make sure you're willing to accept that risk before you put a lot of time, effort, and money into the project.

If you don't have zoning (like Montgomery County), go for it!

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    1. High interest here
    2. No idea. Would you charge hourly and/or daily?
    3. Loading/cleaning tables, Steel tagets/gongs down range
    4. Would be very interested in cabin for a day long outing.

Any chance of going beyond 300 yards?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Thanks for the initial feedback. I had not thought about zoning but from my first look, there is no zoning in Parke Co.

In answer to a few posts:

a. Camping would definitely be an option in addition to some cabins.
    b. Insurance....may be an issue, correct. Got to talk to my agent. May be a situation in which every guest has to sign a waiver.
    c. 300+ yards may be possible, but gotta get out there with my range finder.

Keep the questions and comments coming!

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the initial feedback. I had not thought about zoning but from my first look, there is no zoning in Parke Co.

In answer to a few posts:

a. Camping would definitely be an option in addition to some cabins.
    b. Insurance....may be an issue, correct. Got to talk to my agent. May be a situation in which every guest has to sign a waiver.
    c. 300+ yards may be possible, but gotta get out there with my range finder.

Keep the questions and comments coming!

Even if you have a waiver, you would still need insurance. I assuming it would need to be ran as a business?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I was not saying I would not need any insurance. Just saying that is a waiver was required, it would reduce my exposure and the exposure of the insurance company.

Yes....I would definitely run this as a business, ideally. I could, but don't really want to, do it under the radar and on the down low.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    we have a private club out here. its no more than a range but they hold events for the community, 4H, etc.

noise is an issue. theres a gravel pit nearby so the residents are used to blasting and such so its not that big of a deal.
    liability waivers would be very important. liability insurance.. i have no idea what that would run but it would be definitely necessary. youd need at least 2 miles of open space to the nearest residence for any common rifles. dont underestimate space needed. just heard a story last night of a 9mm round traveling 800 yards to a residence, nearly clipped the guy.

The-Last-Round

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Brazil
    I'd be interested, esp. if you had 300yd+ stuff.

Cost? Not sure about a per-day fee. Maybe $20 or so. I'd rather pay $150 a year or something to be able to go out and shoot whever I had a free afternoon.

In terms of legal structure, I have no idea how you'd want to do it but this guy: proteq.us could probably help you out. His range is basically in his back yard and is definately no frills but it's cheap and doesn't have range officers constantly on duty that you would need to pay. He runs a tax service or something out of his house. So if you're serious, maybe call him up and ask him to help you do the legal structure for a shooting club on your property. At least that way you're exchanging his time for a small fee.

However he's got it setup is what I'd be most interested in seeing: A place that is self-policing and member maintained. I'd be happy to shovel dirt for backstops, dig post holes or buy some lumber in order to have a place I can go plink without needing to lay out cash by the hour to pay for range officers, target boards and profit margin.

The pro-teq guy may have some requirement for knowledge demonstration before joining that you may want to mimick. I kind of knew the guy from my Rose-Hulman student days, took a few of his classes and have always paid his yearly fee even if I never went out there. So I may have been grandfathered into membership there without knowing it. Regardless, it's a nice situation: show up, sign in, shoot, clean up afteryourself, shoot the **** with anyone else there, then leave when you feel like it.

In terms of ammenities, I wouldn't care for anything other than a porta-john and maybe a pavilion to keep gear dry if it's raining. A gravel road would be nice so I could drive a car out there instead of needing a 4x4.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I'd honestly look at dividing the land and go with a small company with like a LLC or something to disconnect you as much as possible.

Cost I would say start small. Allow camp via tent and charge like $25-50 a day/night you will have to figure out how your times will work.
    The more cost comes in with the more you would add. Doing small cabins and added range features start boosting cost.
    If you had small cabin with electric and plumbing then you can up the cost to like $75-100.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'd definitely plan to make the cabins/tent area a fortress away from the range. Have the range shooting away from the tents/cabins as well as plan to have a dirt berm put in between anywhere people might be camping. Don't underestimate the amount of idiots that own guns...as can be seen every time you go the range and see bullet marks that make you go 'how the hell did a bullet end up up there'.

You will have people come out of the woodwork to stop you...as someone else said. Guns are evil. Haven't you read the news? Heaven forbid if there's a school within 500 miles of your property.

The person that said divide the property was absoltely right. Make your house and about XX acres separate from the property for the business. Set up a LLC or something that way if something happens you won't lose your house in a lawsuit.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    If its a long range what could allow high powered rifles (not a 50 Cal) I think a lot of people would be in. I don't hunt anymore but to have a couple nice hunting rifles and like shoot long distance, but living in Hendericks county don't really have many opinions, really any.
    Even if you cant get a store or cabins put up, just a place to go and have a nice day at a long distance range would be nice..... my 2 cents.

Top Bottom